I’ll be that guy | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

Guys, guys...

Time to move on. Does it surprise me that we wanted Sean to get the record and so he played? Nope. Does it surprise me that we sent the starters out for the first series of the second half. Nope. That is pretty standard. Could it have been a disaster? Yep. Should Dino have at least taken that into account? Yep, and he probably did. Did it all work out in the end (as far as we know)? Seems that way. It could have blown up in our face but we apparently dodged the bullet.

I will say that, despite it being SOP to open the second half with the starters, even in blowouts, this game could and maybe should have been an exception. The Wagner coach metaphorically laid down his queen, albeit a queen that had already been run over by a steamroller and asked to shorten the game. I could see that very rare and unusual circumstance as one that would over-rule the normal practice of playing the starters to open the half. Clearly, we were stat-chasing and I understand the rationale even if I question the wisdom.

Also, I'm surprised that Tucker didn't get a few breathers in the first half. We certainly could have given Allen a series or two then. We were trying to get Sean familiar with the new schemes, we were trying to fluff up his numbers to offset the past few games, whatever. Take your pick. Probably a combination of those two factors.

Yeah I’m over this debate

Some of us are always going to think we should have sat starters, others think Dino did the right thing

Bottom line is we are 5-0 and on to NC State

LETS GO ORANGE
And some of us can see the logic behind both sides of the argument, can agree or disagree with the decision and move on before walking out of the Dome 5-0!

Guys, guys...

Time to move on. Does it surprise me that we wanted Sean to get the record and so he played? Nope. Does it surprise me that we sent the starters out for the first series of the second half. Nope. That is pretty standard. Could it have been a disaster? Yep. Should Dino have at least taken that into account? Yep, and he probably did. Did it all work out in the end (as far as we know)? Seems that way. It could have blown up in our face but we apparently dodged the bullet.

I will say that, despite it being SOP to open the second half with the starters, even in blowouts, this game could and maybe should have been an exception. The Wagner coach metaphorically laid down his queen, albeit a queen that had already been run over by a steamroller and asked to shorten the game. I could see that very rare and unusual circumstance as one that would over-rule the normal practice of playing the starters to open the half. Clearly, we were stat-chasing and I understand the rationale even if I question the wisdom.

Also, I'm surprised that Tucker didn't get a few breathers in the first half. We certainly could have given Allen a series or two then. We were trying to get Sean familiar with the new schemes, we were trying to fluff up his numbers to offset the past few games, whatever. Take your pick. Probably a combination of those two factors.
I agree with most of this but where is the evidence of stat chasing by the staff? Where did that idea come from?

Honestly might be the most rational response in the thread. Other than holding up Rutgers as a paragon of football strategy expertise, of course. We rotated offensive line and entire defense extensively in the first half, but left the core skill position players on offense in for virtually every snap. Playing Allen, Hatcher and Del Rio Wilson a series each of the first quarter, then running the starters out for the first series in the third sounds like a very sound approach.
I’ve seen teams use that strategy as well. They definitely could have done that but that way has its set backs too. 37 plays is 37 plays no matter how many points or what quarter they are in. It was never about the score. Not sure why people keep focusing on that. The game was won before it started. If it was about winning then why play starters at all? They didn’t need them to win.

Last edited:
What take are you talking about? That most coaches play their starters 1 series in the second half despite the score? That’s not a take. Lol. That’s standard.

Is it standard to agree to reduce the second half by 10 minutes to limit injury and still trot out your starters?

Absolutely should feather in players off the bench in the first half as a "let's see how they fit in case of injury with the first team" so then the coaches would have a better idea of how the player is instead of a whole 2nd team at once which should be to start or second series of the second half.

Wow. I didn’t realize the legs this thread would have when i started it. I dont agree with the decision to leave the starters in , but its over. We are 5-0! Time to move on

It was a good post i just can’t believe that on Monday we are still taking about it

Guess we don’t have much else to complain about when you’re 5-0 and heading into a bye week

Is it standard to agree to reduce the second half by 10 minutes to limit injury and still trot out your starters?
No and reducing the second half to 10 minutes has nothing to the first series of the 2nd half. The time after the 1st drive has no effect on the starters. Not sure why thats mentioned.

What if you were told it was Anae’s call? There’s plenty of indicators that was the case. In an interview, I believe Shraders, it was said Anae had pointed out the record to him and Tucker. When Tucker came out of the medical tent with helmet in hand, meaning medical had cleared him to play, it was Anae, not Babers not the RB coach, who sat down on the bench next to him sharing a smile (Sean wanted to continue playing since he was cleared). Babers is the HC for the whole team. Why wasn’t the same play the first half strategy used for the defense? Jones played 13 snaps, Williams and Chestnut fewer than 15, etc. While the offensive starters were playing 40+.

Go to 3:08:

I agree with most of this but where is the evidence of stat chasing by the staff? Where did that idea come from?
I meant the specific chasing of the rushing record.

No and reducing the second half to 10 minutes has nothing to the first series of the 2nd half. The time after the 1st drive has no effect on the starters. Not sure why thats mentioned.

It does if the reason for it is to avoid having starters injured in a game that's already been decided.

I meant the specific chasing of the rushing record.
I know that. He was going to get it in the first drive of the second half. No one said Dino specifically kept the starters in so Tucker can break the record.

Syracuse vs. Colgate 1950-55:
1950 Colgate won 19-14
1951 Syracuse won 9-0
1952 Syracuse won 20-14
1953 Syracuse won 34-18
1954 Syracuse won 31-12
1955 Syracuse won 26-19

Consequently, Jim Brown scoring 43 points in a 61-7 win had some impact.

If only that was the argument being made.

Staying on point, the argument has nothing to do with what "impact" an individual player made or makes relative to outcomes. But rather about attempting to break records against such overwhelmingly inferior opponents. Not to mention the questionable/shameless look it portrays.

As mentioned, Colgate was an annual local/CNY type rival back in the day. When SU and Colgate were playing regularly, both schools were Division IA. Brown breaking records at the time against such an opponent is not even in the same stratosphere in comparsion to trying to do so against such a lessor division type/inferior school. Also, by the way, has absolutely zero history with SU.

It does if the reason for it is to avoid having starters injured in a game that's already been decided.
whats been decided? and by who? The coaches? As fans, we all want a perfect season with no injuries. Its not realistic. There other things coaches want to accomplish and playing it safe doesnt guarantee anything. 37 offensive plays were ran up to that drive. Thats not many. 1 series in the 2nd half was always the plan. The score doesnt dictake that.

Absolutely should feather in players off the bench in the first half as a "let's see how they fit in case of injury with the first team" so then the coaches would have a better idea of how the player is instead of a whole 2nd team at once which should be to start or second series of the second half.
I saw Cruz in on the second series along with Jaquez Fuentes Coley and Johnson. Hatcher, Oliver and guys were being sprinkled in early in the 2nd quarter.

I dont agree with the decision to leave the starters in , but its over.
1664816587102.jpeg

Because Dino said he did it to reduce the likelihood of more injuries. I’m not sure why you can’t see the contradiction in his action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom