i have zero doubt this can be a 2nd wkend tourny team | Syracusefan.com

i have zero doubt this can be a 2nd wkend tourny team

We just gotta get to the dance first! Im worried theyre gonna hit another mini slump and they probably cant afford to.

They definitely can't afford another mini-slump. I think our margin of error is pretty much gone at this point. Gotta win the games we're supposed to for sure..

I agree that this team is dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a sweet sixteen or even great eight appearance. However, I also wouldn't be surprised with an early exit. That's just the team we have this year which I believe makes it a lot of fun to watch. We have a team that could beat anyone on any given day. We also have a team, unfortunately, that is quite capable of losing to anyone in the country as well.

As for the slump, I'm actually thinking that this team is not going to have one. We will likely have more losses (hopefully not many) but I really doubt that there will be a slump. It just looks like something has clicked for these guys.

Last night's game was huge. We got another W, played the kind of D that could take us far this year and looked like a tournament worthy team. I'm getting more and more excited about the next few games.

... which I believe makes it a lot of fun to watch.
I don't know how much fun my heart can take. I think games like last night are fun: jump out to a 20 point lead, cruise control to the finish. The games where I watch standing up and pacing in front of the TV?

245e07a19f6f98868a4a4e1edc76efe2612b6f07c4026bafd874f8eb2ed13043.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how much fun my heart can take. I think games like last night are fun: jump out to a 20 point lead, cruise control to the finish. The games where I watch standing up and pacing in front of the TV?

fred_sanford_the_big_one.jpg

Yeah, I hear you. Even last night though, up by 17 at half, I was really disappointed with that half court heave which cut the lead to 17. You would have thought we were only up by 1 by my reaction. I was still nervous all the way until about 3 minutes to go.

we just beat a team playing its first game without its leading scorer

and it put us in tournament contention, with an even more favorable schedule just ahead. What is your point? Go ahead and discount the win if you want, but I will double down now on getting to 20 wins before the ACCT and making the NCAA.

We can be a second weekend team just as easily as we could go out in round 1. (or even not make it). such are the vagaries of single elimination tournaments

We can be a second weekend team just as easily as we could go out in round 1. (or even not make it). such are the vagaries of single elimination tournaments

If they make the tournament I don't think they will go out the first round. I think this bunch has the play-much-harder-in-bigger-games mentality and if they make the tournament they really have potential for major upsets!

I don't think that matters. Nobody makes excuses for our team when we lose because we are missing players to injury. The win counts period.
who were we missing? and aren't we supposedly getting some allowance for no JB for nine games

I know, and wasn't it great to watch? I loved every minute of it. In fact, since I have it recorded, I will likely watch it again this weekend. Thanks for the reminder. :)
just wouldn't be making any final four plans yet

The KEY guy will be Coleman.

He really has been learning to play through the season. If he continues to get better, SU can make some noise.

His getting better makes the other Bigs more effective.

I just don't think you can plan for anything with this team. If they shoot well from 3 they will win or have a chance to win every game. If they don't, they will look like the team that lost to St. John's. There is no more science to it than that. Against a team like UNC, they will have to be very very good from 3, against a team like Georgia Tech, they will just have to be reasonably good.

The schedule coming up is key though. We have to win the next 4 in my opinion. We will struggle severely to beat Louisville, UNC, or Pitt. UNC is one of the best teams out there and a horri-awful matchup and we never beat Pitt. UL, we flip flop from being able to beat them and having no shot.

The key is all the players. However, I think Roberson is one of the most important players to success. He needs to be very aggressive and rebound like a wild man every game (without fouling). His offensive game is definitely stepping up too, and he has developed more of a soft touch with inside shots than previously. His instead presence, including if he can hit a few of those foul line jumpers, will really open the floor up for the others. And as JB said, the outside guys also need to hit Js.

I just don't think you can plan for anything with this team. If they shoot well from 3 they will win or have a chance to win every game. If they don't, they will look like the team that lost to St. John's. There is no more science to it than that. Against a team like UNC, they will have to be very very good from 3, against a team like Georgia Tech, they will just have to be reasonably good.

The schedule coming up is key though. We have to win the next 4 in my opinion. We will struggle severely to beat Louisville, UNC, or Pitt. UNC is one of the best teams out there and a horri-awful matchup and we never beat Pitt. UL, we flip flop from being able to beat them and having no shot.

Agree with most of that except for Carolina.

I've no doubt that Boeheim's been thinking about that return since we played even with them for most of the game. He'll have a strategy to counter their easy ball movement and interior passing.

If they hit threes, it's probably moot. But if we can score, it's as good a matchup as we could hope for against a more talented team. Like when we play Mike Brey, I'm confident in Boeheim's abilities against Roy Williams.

(Pitino and Dixon, not so much.)

The key is all the players. However, I think Roberson is one of the most important players to success. He needs to be very aggressive and rebound like a wild man every game (without fouling). His offensive game is definitely stepping up too, and he has developed more of a soft touch with inside shots than previously. His instead presence, including if he can hit a few of those foul line jumpers, will really open the floor up for the others. And as JB said, the outside guys also need to hit Js.

I agree, Roberson is really coming on strong and I am loving how he has been playing. If Mike G gets his 3-pt shot back to where it was pre-conference, we will be super strong. But still - it will take one bad shooting night to eliminate us (either from the bubble or the tourney if in).

Matchups. All about matchups obviously. Don't want to be in a 8/9 or 7/10 with a Wichita St., Cincinnati, or Vanderbilt. Or a potential second round game vs Xavier or Michigan St.

Last edited:
Matchups. All about matchups obviously. Don't want to be in a 8/9 or 7/10 with a Wichita St., Cincinnati, or Vanderbilt. Or a potential second round game vs Xavier or Michigan St.

I'll take playing against Oklahoma or Kansas round 1 if it means we made the tourney.

I'll take playing against Oklahoma or Kansas round 1 if it means we made the tourney.

Yes. I would rather face those two than a Xavier for instance. That's just me but Xavier's style with Chris Mack coaching D would just grind us to a hault. They are a better Dayton.

Solid win for our Tourney hopes...

Do we have the potential to beat anyone? Absolutely... if we play like we did in Bahamas... if our 3's are falling, Lydon plays aggressive offense and goes for double figures, and TR continues to play aggressive on both ends.

However, let's not get too carried away either... yes, we've now beaten Duke and ND (huge for the resume on paper), but both teams were missing considerably key players that would've affected the outcomes of both games had they been available. I'm not complaining about their absences, but rather to temper our expectations of how good we are.

My only annoyance from last night was Jimmy went to stall ball way too early in the 2nd half, IMO. Somewhere around 8 minutes left in the blowout, and we're just holding onto the ball. As a fan, it felt like watching paint dry, the way our shot clock would go under 5 seconds nearly every possession... boring to watch. Yes, the game was decided by this point, but stalling gets the kids completely out of any offensive rhythm - having started it so early. Stall with a few minutes left... not 8 minutes. I don't recall him stalling this early in prior seasons.

I'd like to continue to see more and more offensive sets run through Lydon. He's shown to have excellent court awareness and can be a good passer... he has potential to shift the defense, which can free up an open look, but we need him involved more. It was great to see him shoot with confidence as opposed to deferring so much. He has a decent handle with the ball, so let's utilize it...cuz when he catches the ball on the perimeter, that's where I'd like to see Jimmy run a set play... Either have Lydon pull the trigger, or pump fake (which oftentimes gets his man in the air), and subsequently go by the defender... Make a secondary defender have to stop Lydon's penetration, which would allow him to dish for an open look (and know where TC/MG/MR are gonna be on the perimeter)... or continue to the hoop, or pull up for a jump shot.

Lastly, what was the point of bringing KJ in for the final minute? Jimmy might as well just tell the kid to transfer at this point if his role on the team has been demoted to walk-on status.

Spock344 said:
Solid win for our Tourney hopes... Do we have the potential to beat anyone? Absolutely... if we play like we did in Bahamas... if our 3's are falling, Lydon plays aggressive offense and goes for double figures, and TR continues to play aggressive on both ends. However, let's not get too carried away either... yes, we've now beaten Duke and ND (huge for the resume on paper), but both teams were missing considerably key players that would've affected the outcomes of both games had they been available. I'm not complaining about their absences, but rather to temper our expectations of how good we are. My only annoyance from last night was Jimmy went to stall ball way too early in the 2nd half, IMO. Somewhere around 8 minutes left in the blowout, and we're just holding onto the ball. As a fan, it felt like watching paint dry, the way our shot clock would go under 5 seconds nearly every possession... boring to watch. Yes, the game was decided by this point, but stalling gets the kids completely out of any offensive rhythm - having started it so early. Stall with a few minutes left... not 8 minutes. I don't recall him stalling this early in prior seasons. I'd like to continue to see more and more offensive sets run through Lydon. He's shown to have excellent court awareness and can be a good passer... he has potential to shift the defense, which can free up an open look, but we need him involved more. It was great to see him shoot with confidence as opposed to deferring so much. He has a decent handle with the ball, so let's utilize it...cuz when he catches the ball on the perimeter, that's where I'd like to see Jimmy run a set play... Either have Lydon pull the trigger, or pump fake (which oftentimes gets his man in the air), and subsequently go by the defender... Make a secondary defender have to stop Lydon's penetration, which would allow him to dish for an open look (and know where TC/MG/MR are gonna be on the perimeter)... or continue to the hoop, or pull up for a jump shot. Lastly, what was the point of bringing KJ in for the final minute? Jimmy might as well just tell the kid to transfer at this point if his role on the team has been demoted to walk-on status.

I believe it was 6:30 left hen called to pull it out. But he only did it for the one possession until it got under 4 when he put it back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom