I think its time for a discussion | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

I think its time for a discussion

Where do we go from here?
Great question. It seems like in the worst case scenario we have much upgraded facilities, which if the bottom does fall out should be more attractive to a coach than a decade ago.

Hopefully the bottom doesn't fall out, but sometimes it does. Just ask Tennessee... or Japan ca. 1990.

Why are you mentioning Quadir? He is never going to play. That’s on him not the coaches.
This is correct. But the coaches wasted the scholarship on him and planned the future depth of the position around him. Fair or not, that’s on them.

This loss and where the program currently stands rest on the shoulders of one person and thats HCDB.

This isn't a thread saying he needs to be fired but this states simply where the changes need to and have to start!

HCDB was brought in for his exciting offense to turn this program around, we saw a glimpse of that but its faded into the sunset.

I dont want to hear excuses about facilities, Syracuse being hard to recruit to or the 100's of other excuses bantered about on this board.

HCDB has us in this situation with "his" guys he recruited. He needs to get the program back on track quickly and he has no one to blame except himself.
As always preaching "family" and as the head of the household take responsibility for it crumbling and right the ship.

One problem is these losing seasons are bad losing seasons. It's not like we're really close or playing really well in these seasons where you could say, well we're right there. We're losing to teams that aren't very good, games we should be winning more often than not. But we are the team everyone expects to beat. When you're the team everyone puts a "W" next to on the schedule... it might be time for a new coach.

Culpepper is a great story and i wish him well but there is a reason he was not playing...not an accurate passer...don't be fooled by the one long pass to Harris ...we are in big trouble because we cannot run and now cannot pass...I think the big vacuum here is no offensive line attention in the off season re transfers ..Bleich was always a long shot and was coming off surgery ??? He wasn't healthy enough to play...they really dropped the ball and its costing them

This season is a mulligan. Flame me all you want but I’m not getting worked up about a season where there was limited time to get going. Watching these scrimmages make time go by for me but don’t get me worked up. I would assume Dino would leave before we fire him knowing how this will go. He’s a good coach and needs to get a year to figure out QB
I'm not going to flame you but every team is playing under the same limited practice schedule and rules. So, I can't view it as a mulligan.

And you can call them scrimmages but recruits don't look at them that way. Potential future assistant coaching candidates or a potential head coaching candidate who may take over for Dino don't view them as scrimmages. This is REALITY! Perception is reality. And these are not scrimmages these are real games that matter on many layers.

I like Dino and the staff but I am starting to lose a little faith now. I'm not totally giving up on them but next season will be very telling. I know there are legit reasons for some of our struggles but I still don't expect to be at the bottom of league in offense. I expected better depth by year 5. I knew the new defensive scheme would have some growing pains. I just hope we can get something positive out this season. A blessing in disguise or something.

Last edited:
We aren't beating FSU and who knows about rutgers and WMU, the switch didn't help but no one looking at our schedule went man this is some tough schedule, we'll play 3 ranked teams great, what about the other 8 games.

If the season started on a normal trajectory. Again, guys that get paid mediocre money to report on this stuff said the same thing. We're so injured now it doesn't matter.

I have to be honest I'm not sure if we'd beat rutgirls or western Michigan.

If the season started on its normal trajectory with the full compliment of players...now clearly the season is shot.

I like Dino and the staff but I am started to lose a little faith now. I'm not totally giving up on them but next season will be very telling. I know there are legit reasons for some of our struggles but I still don't expect to be at the bottom of league in offense. I expected better depth by year 5. I knew the new defensive scheme would have some growing pains. I just hope we can get something positive out this season. A blessing in disguise or something.
At some point yesterday they should have run blitzed every down. Through every gap. No adjustment was bad coaching.

i don’t know how people think this is a free season. Recruits are watching. Nothing is free. Kids are getting injured and making decisions on what to do next year based on occurrences this year and the “plan” moving forward.

This is not a free season. You don’t struggle to rebuild recruiting, invest a large amount of money in the program, blow the 2019 season then call the next free.

it’s a free season for others who have the luxury to call it that. We do not have that luxury.

If we lose to Liberty consider me in the 2021 bowl or bust boat. Our goal should be to be a perennial top 30-40 team. Not damn Duke

I think it’s time for those that refuse to see the programs deficiencies to do some homework. We’re not the program of 50 years ago. We are what we’ve been the last 20. That’s the starting point (reality). If you can’t see that I can’t take your posts seriously.

For those that see those deficiencies, how would you address those (new HC, money allocation, etc)?

I think it’s time for those that refuse to see the programs deficiencies to do some homework. We’re not the program of 50 years ago. We are what we’ve been the last 20. That’s the starting point (reality). If you can’t see that I can’t take your posts seriously.

For those that see those deficiencies, how would you address those (new HC, money allocation, etc)?

The reality of it Wildhack started in the red on all of this. He's giving Dino what's needed, and Dino isn't demanding the Ritz - Carlton approach either, so he's reasonable.

Not a recruitnik, I vaguely remember Dino addressing recruiting errors and fixing them. Someone who follows that stuff should jump in on this.

In my opinion the road splits at 4 pm next Saturday. Liberty may as well be walking in with a gallon of gasoline for that seat. We can not lose to this team.

The reality of it Wildhack started in the red on all of this. He's giving Dino what's needed, and Dino isn't demanding the Ritz - Carlton approach either, so he's reasonable.

Not a recruitnik, I vaguely remember Dino addressing recruiting errors and fixing them. Someone who follows that stuff should jump in on this.

consensus seems to be that the 21 class is a clear step up. The last two comprised half the two deep on defense and a significant number on offense, which is obviously a double edged sword.

I came into the year that this was a 11 scrimmage year, so I refuse to get worked up about it. Opportunity to get everyone game reps.

Tucker, Benson, Crazyeyes Harris, are pieces you can build around. Go deeper on the roster and see who else might step up. Interested in what Alford might bring for example

In my opinion the road splits at 4 pm next Saturday. Liberty may as well be walking in with a gallon of gasoline for that seat. We can not lose to this team.

other than the names on the jersey, at this point why set that marker?

another in a vacuum declaration

nightmare? Isn’t that a bit melodramatic Sally?

It’s a heavily young, and now depleted team, having a tough year in highly unusual circumstance.

bfd, it’s college football, get over it and yourself.

What was the excuse for last year's debacle? The "we are a young team with no depth" excuse has been ongoing since about 2004.

nightmare? Isn’t that a bit melodramatic Sally?

It’s a heavily young, and now depleted team, having a tough year in highly unusual circumstance.

bfd, it’s college football, get over it and yourself.
Lol, Buzz? is that you?

Eddie read his team the riot act today came out and called his defense embarrassing and they won a title last year. Where is that same fire from Dino?

did the Cajun blame himself or the players?

HCDB doesn’t publicly throw his players under the bus which I admire and think is highly respectable. You handle stuff in-house with your family...but he called out his WRs yesterday for the drops, it was uncharacteristic of him but maybe needed to be said.

You’re very wrong that Dino doesn’t have the same fire.

other than the names on the jersey, at this point why set that marker?

another in a vacuum declaration
I can’t answer this without feeling like too much of a Debby Downer. A loss to Liberty would be unacceptable regardless of current situations.

Yes, I have.

I have been to many college football venues.

And I have been to indoor NFL stadiums in Detroit, Minneapolis, Indy, Arizona, and Atlanta.

There are additional indoor venues in Houston, LA, and Dallas.

We offer a unique experience to a college football player.

I have no doubt that Dino will be fine.
yes we need stability and he needs 2 more years. the incoming class looks better than usual.
dino needs to be more flexible and not married to his hurry up offense. he is very stubborn and intractable, which imho is a bad trait for a leader. he has not recruited the big uglies well, which has been a problem for most of his tenure. he complains to much about what he doesn't have and sounds more like a whiner . why are there so many injuries??????why is the depth so bad????? are we adapting the offense to what we have or what he wants it to be. do we really care about how many plays we run ??? or should we focus on the type of and execution of plays. sorry just venting

Something that we don’t discuss much here is that SU really doesn’t have a peer set.

Obviously we have little in common with the big, public schools that have vast resources and deep pocketed boosters.

At the same time, we don’t really have much common with most private schools either. We’re certainly nothing like Notre Dame, Miami or USC. And we don’t have the local recruiting base of a Baylor or even Vandy, for that matter. Our peers, institutionally, are probably BC and Northwestern. But even that’s not a perfect fit.

The reality is that we’re a private school with an utterly lousy recruiting base within 200 miles of campus. JW has done a ton give Dino what he needs to recruit competitively: Staff salaries are viable, facilities have been upgraded, fan outreach has been prioritized. And yet, it doesn’t seem like we’re where we need to be, talent wise.

Honestly the most crippling issue over time, IMHO, has been at QB. This is not a knock on TD, it’s just that SU desperately needs an all-world performer at QB to be successful, given our talent and depth limitations all over the field. That’s been our history for decades, and it’s even more of an imperative now. It has been our defining deficiency since McNabb left campus. 25 years ago we had a battle between him, Johnson and Downing for the starting job, and we have never had that kind of depth and athleticism at QB since. Far more often In recent years our top backup has been walk-on caliber.