I think its time for a discussion | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I think its time for a discussion

Dino probably needs to use the rest of this year as prep for next year. Our road schedule makes this season all but lost, especially after blowing our most winnable home game today.
The home schedule set up nicely for a decent year.

Who's better than Moe Neal or Strickland?
Sean Tucker is a better runner as a true freshman. I think Jordan may be better too. Had Howard played this year, I believe he would be better also.

Should he be fired...YES. Will he be fired...NO.

The only question now is how deep a hole do you let him dig that he gets us in that the next head coach has to climb out of.

Last year was a 5 win season, this year looks to be a 1 or 2 win season, and if 2021 is really bad then the next head coach you hire is just starting behind the 8 ball and in an impossible situation. I would rather pull the plug 1 or 2 years too early than 1 or 2 years too late. Although I know they won't do that. So the cycle continues and we are just spinning our wheels in the mud at this point as a football program.

As usual the ACC is pretty mediocre. Sadly we’re in the bottom third so that doesn’t help us much.
They don't play one home game this year against a ranked team.

Ok let's talk about the right now. Our facilities are much better than Dukes. It's much easier getting kids into Syracuse than it is Duke. I'm not saying we should be Texas or Florida but the sights need to be higher than Duke.
They are in a more talent rich region. I think recruiting is coming around. What do you think is the correct time table for bringing in a competitive roster, taking into consideration that it takes time to improve the quality of the talent and then that talent will not be developed when they first arrive on campus unless it is factory lebel talent which you just acknowledged is not realistic for us?

The sights are higher than Duke. Nobody said that what Cutcliffe has done there is the standard, just that it took him a long time to turn around a floundering program, which we also were when Dino arrived.

And babers treated him like trash and resented him because he wasnt his guy, he won't hit the transfer portal for that reason also, DB needs to throw his ego out before we throw him out. Besides liberty who else are we beating, and liberty could come in here and win they'll be motivated and they have a good offense. Dino needs to win 3 games, I'm not on the fire him side and I think we'll win 3 games with a max of 4 but if liberty comes in and pulls the upset hes a lame duck, recruiting will be even worse and he'd only be here due to the contract
Liberty has a real proven coach with bonafide SEC credentials, whether people like him or that school or not.

What happened to those pass and pass plays we did against Virginia Tech in the upset. our receivers used to throw these quick hitters to another receiver.

all of those quick hitters we did with Irv Philips

Throwing the ball back to the officials after the pay because we were rearing to go. It felt so amazing and fresh in 2016 & 17

They are in a more talent rich region. I think recruiting is coming around. What do you think is the correct time table for bringing in a competitive roster, taking into consideration that it takes time to improve the quality of the talent and then that talent will not be developed when they first arrive on campus unless it is factory lebel talent which you just acknowledged is not realistic for us?

The sights are higher than Duke. Nobody said that what Cutcliffe has done there is the standard, just that it took him a long time to turn around a floundering program, which we also were when Dino arrived.
They aren't getting the kids UNC and nc State are getting plus you have sec schools recruiting these kids too. I would say we should be competing for a bowl almost every year with a 10 win season every now and then and a losing season now and then.

They aren't getting the kids UNC and nc State are getting plus you have sec schools recruiting these kids too. I would say we should be competing for a bowl almost every year with a 10 win season every now and then and a losing season now and then.
And we have BIG schools raiding the few areas in our region along with SEC selector schools grabbing some. We go south to get the plan B's and C's. They exist in the south where those plan B's and C's live. We have some advantages over them. They have some over us. They have had more recent consistent mediocrity than we have. In the minds of the kids we're recruiting that matters more than our ancient history. Our new Dome upgrades can help us, but they won't retroactively upgrade the roster that was on the field today.

I agree we should compete for a bowl every year once we get back to that level. It's been 15+ years since we've been at that level. Most of the kids on the roster and all of the kids we're recruiting weren't in elementary school the last time we were consistently competing for bowls.

I feel like Dino may have over played his hand after the 10 win season. They gave him a contract extension and met a lot of his demands. He needs to at least be .500
in what regard did he over play his hand?

Not calling for his head but Dino is showing little "fire,” emotion or sense of urgency on the sidelines

Hate to say it but almost disinterested.

Am I missing something?

And we have BIG schools raiding the few areas in our region along with SEC selector schools grabbing some. We go south to get the plan B's and C's. They exist in the south where those plan B's and C's live. We have some advantages over them. They have some over us. They have had more recent consistent mediocrity than we have. In the minds of the kids we're recruiting that matters more than our ancient history. Our new Dome upgrades can help us, but they won't retroactively upgrade the roster that was on the field today.

I agree we should compete for a bowl every year once we get back to that level. It's been 15+ years since we've been at that level. Most of the kids on the roster and all of the kids we're recruiting weren't in elementary school the last time we were consistently competing for bowls.
It's also next to impossible to get kids into duke.

True. I remember watching that bowl game and could tell Gross wanted P gone in his on-air interview. P never should have been fired that year. I wish they gave Marrone more to work with as well
It would not have mattered, really. The downward momentum was well under way. The program really needed to hit rock bottom to get the necessary attention of the administration to raise funds and improve the facilities.

Liberty has a real proven coach with bonafide SEC credentials, whether people like him or that school or not.
They won 40-7 today with three special teams TDs. They will be sky high. I was there last year and it was a closer game than the score for sure. They missed kicks we stopped them on goal line and we stripped them while they were about to score another time. Maybe they’ll have a covid outbreak?

It's also next to impossible to get kids into duke.
Do we know that or is it an assumption? Regardless, as I said before, the primary point is that it takes time to turn around a flailing program. Our challenges are different than Duke's, but they are real and significant.

Not calling for his head but Dino is showing little "fire,” emotion or sense of urgency on the sidelines

Hate to say it but almost disinterested.

Am I missing something?
Hasn't he always been like that. I believe he stated during his first year he intentionally remains even keeled on the sideline.

I think he likes to keep a lot behind closed doors. He has stated as much when asked about his post game speeches following our upsets.

Do we know that or is it an assumption? Regardless, as I said before, the primary point is that it takes time to turn around a flailing program. Our challenges are different than Duke's, but they are real and significant.
Dukes acceptance rate is 9 pct lower than Vandys. Duke isn't having success because of any advantages they have its because they hired the right coach.

They won 40-7 today with three special teams TDs. They will be sky high. I was there last year and it was a closer game than the score for sure. They missed kicks we stopped them on goal line and we stripped them while they were about to score another time. Maybe they’ll have a covid outbreak?
If the Orange lose to Liberty, JW is going to get so much blowback from the major players that it is difficult to see what might happen. I don't think there is any coming back from that.