I will say this about Coach Marrone | Syracusefan.com

I will say this about Coach Marrone

SUOrange44

Scout Team
If Coach Marrone leaves I will be very disappointed but I certainly will hold absolutely no ill will at all. In fact, I will simply reflect on how appreciative I am as an alum, a CNY resident, a season ticket holder, etc. that he turned this program around so quickly.

Seriously...I have read a lot of posts, articles, etc. about this being a "kick the tires" process for Marrone by the NFL. I will tell you that I am absolutely convinced that those who have that mindset at this stage have their heads buried in the sand.

It is extraordinarily common for job applicants like Marrone to "knock the socks" off during an interview. I am lucky enough to have been to a number of booster/donor receptions and presentations from Marrone and one thing has ALWAYS gone through my mind...If this guy could not turn things around or be successful, there are not many that could here. If you are THIS prepared and have thought things through to such a heightened level, you deserve to be successful.

First, I would put his game and program preparation on par with ANYBODY. The "binder" is real as is the fact that he has prepared for and considered virtually every aspect that you can deal with. This ranges from:

1) Wanting to recruit kids who would be on direct flight lines from Syracuse with the hope this could be a selling point to families to
2) Preparing programs to make sure kids were more informed about the history and tradition of the school to
3) providing a daily living program to kids who may not even know how to tie their own tie

Certainly there has been a learning curve with game day decisions but VERY rarely in the last four years has

1) Syracuse been blown out
2) Syracuse looked absolutely ill prepared for what another school was trying to do (particularly with an extended time to prepare)

Long story short...guys (like Mike Tomlin for instance) who have backing of well respected NFL established higher ups and who have experience in the NFL and who interview well can and will jump to the forefront. Marrone falls squarely into that scenario.

I have no doubt that he will interview well, come extremely prepared and get very high references from a lot of folks in the NFL including those already cited like Sean Payton. Truth be told, Marrone may even be a better NFL coach due to the fact that he would no longer have to worry about recruiting and can turn his attention squarely to preparation, overseeing a staff and implementing the pro mindset he already has.

One way or the other the status and stature of this program is where it is today primarily due to Coach Marrone and he deserves respect and the benefit of any doubt for that. Seriously, this program had been on the brink of potentially not being able to bounce back...and it has...relatively quickly.

I, for one, am hoping that everything comes together (in a positive fashion) that needs to in order for him to stay.

SUOrange44

Great post! There are more people who are excited about the program and people who don't follow SU but now "hear" about the FB team more frequently than there was 4 years ago.

Doug, if he leaves, will make sure SU is in good hands after he's gone.

Thought it'd be interesting to see how much he's lost by in losses.

13 USC
11 Cinn
8 RU
7 Minn
1 NU
= 8 point average.

21 USC
20 USF
17 UL
17 Cinn
13 Pitt
7 UConn
3 RU
= 14 point average.

31 Pitt
21 UW
17 UConn
9 BC
8 UL
= 17 point average.

Pretty respectable.

No he won't. He will have no impact on who the next coach is. None.

Bullshit. Doug won't have a damn thing to do with his replacement.

I don't know who you are, but I suspect we have been at some of the same meetings/functions.

I hope he stays.

But plenty would want him gone with 2 less wins.

The team is rolling and someone is gonna get a great line, 2-3 great RBs, and some awesome linebackers to go with everyone else in the program and win football games with. The new coach gets to play crappy ACC teams and take shots at FSU and Clemson. Dabo Sweeney is a douchebag I say 50-50 chance he doesn't motivate those morons he has against us and the team we play is nothing like the team who just beat LSU.

Noone knows what the "next gear" with Marrone looks like when this team becomes favorites either we haven't been in a position to blow a game to Temple as 20 point favs with him as coach.

It'll be a good year I don't see losing to NC St (Debbie Yow U) BC Wake or Mary. Add in Tulane and the open game and its what bowl not if. Much easier path than this year eh?

As long as he leaves The Binder....

listen if we cant keep alums happy at their current position then how the heck are we gonna keep an outsider happy and not "looking around" as well...marrone to me bleeds alot of orange...if he leaves, i cant see anything that would become positive out of this. it will kill everything that in the last 4 yrs hes worked so hard for...i love this nyc connection..dont wanna lose that and i really want coach to stay!!

So what I get out of the many good posts that I have read this morning is that if Marrone leaves, it is because of certain criteria not being met at SU such as facilities and salary. My question is does he feel the same fire to be at SU and due to certain circumstances may now want to leave or is the NFL that seductive siren that he just can't let go? I suppose as anyone that has been through this type of thing will there be a point of no return, things will be done or said and there may be no turning back.

I'm not an insider by any means just a slug that has had season tickets and has donated cash to the program but after reading a lot of these posts and just giving my best guess from probably just a bunch of hodge podge info, I'm not liking the direction this whole thing is going. Marrone is attractive to NFL teams and that's wonderful for him and the program that he's being recognized for his total resume. IMO...he's selling high, not at top price but a solid addition to any NFL franchise and if he leaves I just don't see this getting better for the football program at Syracuse University.

God I hate the whole money thing that is college football. I get it but I don't like it.

listen if we cant keep alums happy at their current position then how the heck are we gonna keep an outsider happy and not "looking around" as well...marrone to me bleeds alot of orange...if he leaves, i cant see anything that would become positive out of this. it will kill everything that in the last 4 yrs hes worked so hard for...i love this nyc connection..dont wanna lose that and i really want coach to stay!!

That is but half the picture. Some coaches have 'NFL eyes.' They are working to become NFL HCs some day: that, not becoming the winningest coach at a college, is the ultimate dream. A coach with NFL eyes leaving his alma mater for an NFL job means nothing about another coach who is a natural HC for college football and knows that.

Would it best for Syracuse if Marrone stays? Absolutely. Is it a major blow if he leaves? Not if a right man is hired.

The program is no longer at the bottom. It is now well placed to maintain winning and take a step up. That means the job is more attractive now than it was 4 years ago. That would be true without the added bonus of ACC membership and playing FSU and Clemson annually as part of the division race. All the new foes located in the South not only will make it easier for Syracuse to fill talent gaps from FL and the rest of the South, but it also will make it easier for a coach from the South and/or with major ties to the South to see how Syracuse could be a great move for him.

ADs keep files on prospective new HCs should anyone leave, and I have no idea who is on the football list Gross keeps. It might now be filled with people with CA connections. But an example of a winning Major conference HC I would want to talk to about the Syracuse job is Mississippi State's Dan Mullen. After having been a successful OC at Florida, would he leave Miss St?

Perhaps not, but he is a native of NH who spent 5 years coaching in the northeast, including 1 year as a GA at Syracuse. Why might he leave Miss St? It is a definite #2 school and program in MS to Ole Miss, whose new HC Freeze is going to revive the Rebels as well as Mullen has breathed life into the Bully Boys. A winning Ole Miss team will take the sunshine away from Miss St. If Mullen stays in the murder's row of the SEC West, how long before the natural forces rake over and Miss St, even well coached, struggles to win 2 league games? Remember, the division just git tougher with Bielema headed to Arkansas and Malzahn to Auburn. That is added to facing Saban and Miles and Johnny Manziel.

If Miss St returns to historic form as the least team in the SEC West, where will Mullen find his next HC job? If he finds the SEC West so tough that he has 3 consecutive losing SEC campaigns and gets fired, and that easily could happen because of Miss St's weaknesses relative to the rest of the division, the assumption will be that Mullen is merely a once great OC under Urban Meyer who couldn't cut the mustard as SEC HC.

As Syracuse is largely rebuilt and Mullen knows the northeast, and as ACC membership means that now Syracuse will have a significant southeastern presence where Mullen is well known as coach and recruiter, Mullen might find a move from Miss St to Starkville a wise one.

If Marrone leaves, Syracuse has good possibilities.

Mullens offense at Miss St is way too one dimensional for my taste. Yes, a quality coach with some good qualities as you pointed out but once they fall behind the game is over.

In 2010, "Mississippi State football coach Dan Mullen agreed to a new contract that will provide a substantial raise and pay him an average of $2.65 million over the next four years.

Mullen's four-year deal is worth $10.6 million with a $1.4 million buyout, a significant bump from his previous deal worth $1.2 million a year. Although the new contract is subject to the approval of the state College Board, most of Mullen's salary will be paid through donations to the private Bulldog Foundation."
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-state-dan-mullen-new-contract/1#.UOQ-GWfAFTY

This is the problem. Does SU have the private Bulldog Foundation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktibbeha_County,_Mississippi

In 2010, "Mississippi State football coach Dan Mullen agreed to a new contract that will provide a substantial raise and pay him an average of $2.65 million over the next four years.

Mullen's four-year deal is worth $10.6 million with a $1.4 million buyout, a significant bump from his previous deal worth $1.2 million a year. Although the new contract is subject to the approval of the state College Board, most of Mullen's salary will be paid through donations to the private Bulldog Foundation."
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-state-dan-mullen-new-contract/1#.UOQ-GWfAFTY

This is the problem. Does SU have the private Bulldog Foundation?

Yes, it's called the "Penney Smart Dollar Stupid Club".

This is the problem. Does SU have the private Bulldog Foundation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktibbeha_County,_Mississippi

A lot of schools use donor money to pay part or all of salaries. Aa you will see in other threads, other ACC schools are building facilities fully on donations. The problem here, regardless of how many times people say otherwise, is the inability to identify major givers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom