If its all about money | Syracusefan.com

If its all about money

chakka3421

All Conference
I would ask ND and Penn St how much is required to have you come to the ACC to finish off the conference at 16. If they said, "if you can get $25 million per year from ESPN, NBC, etc, we will join." The ACC commish goes to ESPN, NBC and says - both ND and Penn St will join the ACC if you agree to a 10 year, $25 million a year deal contract the day they both join (right now I think Penn St is at $18 million, not sure about ND). One of the networks takes the deal, and we have really one of the best conferences in America for both football, basketball and lacrosse.

Anyway, I do not know how this all comes about in the smoke filled back room deals that take place, but look at how much the ACC is coming at this from a position of strength. The above scenario could actually take place along those lines. Now look at the Big East, the commish and the conference have never been able to negotiate from a position of strength or probably they don't even think in these terms due to the misfits of basketball only and allowing ND to join but not football and now they only want Navy for football only - what a mess.

Can anyone really blame SU or Pitt for bolting? I think not.

They could only go to ESPN... that's who the current contract is with... unless they want to wait until that contract expires.

No question the ACC is going to put their best case scenario forward and go after those two prized schools. This is now about market share and TV sets in the major northeast metro areas. While I will admit the NYC area is not a college football hotbed, there are plenty of fans both here and in Philly that care about ND, PSU and then SU to make this a rational argument. Even in NJ and CT, you will see more ND or PSU gear than the local teams Rutgers and UConn (although closer to Hartford it is more UConn).

In the end, I think the money has to be a big enough difference for Penn State to leave the Big 10. They have a strong reason to stay in the league as they share resources. Not sure if the ACC has anything like that other than just saying they are a conference of strong schools with high standards. Plus the higher the numbers are in the proposal, the more PSU might question the validity of those numbers.

They could only go to ESPN... that's who the current contract is with... unless they want to wait until that contract expires.

Not true - if the ACC doesnt get what they want or ESPN refuses to negotiate, the contract is null and void. Its open season to the highest bidder again.

ESPN will likely negotiate... that doesn't mean they'll capitulate to all demands.

I'd find it hard to believe that just because one party doesn't like the terms of their contract that they can just declare it null and void. But then again, I'm sure that you've read their contract. I will admit that I have not, nor have a slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

If this is about money, and money is derived from new market areas, why pursue PSU? They already have Pennsylvania in Pitt. PSU just gives them another Pennsylvania. I understand the PSU brand is much better for FB than other options, and agree that it would make the ACC a great overall conference. But strictly from a market standpoint, I don't know if that's their best move. New markets for the ACC are NJ (Buttgers), CT (Yukon), and WV (WVU). ND is the oddball in that they bring more than just their geographic market. (IN)

Pitt gets you into PA. Penn State delivers a rabid fanbase within PA

If ESPN in smart, they will renegotiate a larger contract for an extended term. If they refuse to renegotiate and let this hit the open market in 3 years, they are fools.

Pitt gets you into PA. Penn State delivers a rabid fanbase within PA

If ESPN in smart, they will renegotiate a larger contract for an extended term. If they refuse to renegotiate and let this hit the open market in 3 years, they are fools.

My point is the # of TV sets is the same. The reach is the same.

Clearly, PSU fans are more intense when they watch their TV. :)

Their viewing percentage would likely be higher. Whereas (for example) 20% of the PA population may watch a Pitt game on TV, 40% of the PA population may watch a PSU game on TV. (I've made up some numbers just to illustrate Bees' point)

(I've made up some numbers just to illustrate Bees' point)

LOL. He doesn't need your help, he does just fine making things up on his own. :cool:

No it isn't. It's not just TV sets, it's RATINGS. If you have ND and Penn State football in the ACC, the ACC probably becomes the most watched TV football network, over the Big 10 and the SEC.