IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

Isn't that what Syracuse football has been doing upgrading the facilities I mean that's what I heard the mellow center which is for basketball the football facility which has a whole bunch of cool amenities in there so I mean they're never going to be Oregon but I think they're doing all right in terms of spending money at least from what I've heard

Sorry Cuse#1 I was talking about the Canadian schools upgrading, I didn't do a good job of explaining that.

Nobody was then guessing how much the war between networks to pay to secure the top 2 league draws in football would enter the land of the insane. The ACC deal was fine for that day, save for the length. And the ACC is not a cut throat league in any sense. So the ACC always negotiates everything ion good faith, including taking people's words as what things mean. A major problem we now have is that ESPN refuses to do actual look ins, much less pay for what find.
Is your last sentence a fact based statement?

I never said I was but I know one thing is that I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying anybody else's I'm just specifically speaking for myself. I consider myself to have quite a decent amount of intellect and I use it a moments like this. I mean I think this is just common sense & I mean I see some people's responses. You know?
I mean that's their right to say whatever they want. But it's just sometimes it baffles me and I get real adamant. CAnt help it, I'm a cuse fan thru & thru

The GOR doesn't go down in amount. You can find this information easily on Google.

The GOR says that a university that leaves is giving up ALL of their TV money to the conference until 2036.

Plus they have to pay a $120M exit fee.

Now, I suppose you could say that as we get closer to year 2036, the amount a university would lose is less because it's fewer years - but it's still losing ALL of their television revenue.

The GOR doesn't go down in amount. You can find this information easily on Google.

The GOR says that a university that leaves is giving up ALL of their TV money to the conference until 2036.

Now, I suppose you could say that as we get closer to year 2036, the amount a university would lose is less because it's fewer years - but it's still losing ALL of their television revenue.

I'm curious on how Texas and OU did it and how the Big 12 differs from the ACC in strength to keep it together.

Are you under the impression that a such has been done? If it has, we would see results.

WB...what are your thoughts about keeping the band together? Would UNC leave if they can wiggle out of the ACC for the Big 10?

I'm curious on how Texas and OU did it and how the Big 12 differs from the ACC in strength to keep it together.
You can buy your way out of contracts, including GORs. The Big 12 GOR ws much less that what the ACC GOR is right now and will be for years.

The rest of the Big 12 easily remained together because they had no options. I think the only possible options a few of them had was the Pac expanding into CST and TX, perhaps taking TTU, Baylor, TCU, Houston, KU, and Ok ST, to make a Pac 16 with enough CST schools to help in that regard. But there Pac still hasn't;t budged. So the Big 12 members have no choice.

WB...what are your thoughts about keeping the band together? Would UNC leave if they can wiggle out of the ACC for the Big 10?
No, not unless it is absolutely clear that ESPN intends to kill the ACC as a Major conference, and 'force' the most valuable ACC schools into the SEC. UNC is fine with less pay, as long as it is enough to keep the ACC viable as major, stable conference.

No, not unless it is absolutely clear that ESPN intends to kill the ACC as a Major conference, and 'force' the most valuable ACC schools into the SEC. UNC is fine with less pay, as long as it is enough to keep the ACC viable as major, stable conference.

So If it's cheaper for ESPN to have just the SEC and swallow up what they can out of the ACC I wonder who has the glass on the wall listening in and finding out the moves ahead of time. I'd hate to see a panic move that isn't going to happen. Like a mad run on the stock market.

FSU always seems to be about the $ and "prestige" regarding football and hasn't always felt the warm and fuzzies of the ACC..

Are you under the impression that a such has been done? If it has, we would see results.
I thought the last scheduled look-in was either during Covid or so impacted by Covid that the numbers were useless, so they basically dropped it. Didn't hear anything about them being cancelled going forward.

No impression one way or the other. I am not familiar with the process was all and was not clear if anything happened or not.

Okay I will admit I am a little fuzzy on all the details when it comes to the grant of rights ironclad deal into not so much again same scenario but I mean I have heard that over and over and over just because you know I mean people are looking to fill a show, lack of content, or you know you hear something like that and a lot of ACC fans are going to want to listen to make sure that they are safe and/or ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS!! I know I did.
Of course you never feel completely safe I mean obviously I mean there's too many things in this deal that when against us besides the fact that keeping this conference together until the inevitable .

I'm really just surprised that you know a commissioner who was at the head of the ACC for a very very long time could not have seen this coming I just can't believe that so I mean that makes it even worse that you just didn't care he just wanted the ACC to remain intact until he was out the door and then not his problem anymore.

I never said I was but I know one thing is that I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying anybody else's I'm just specifically speaking for myself. I consider myself to have quite a decent amount of intellect and I use it a moments like this. I mean I think this is just common sense & I mean I see some people's responses. You know?
I mean that's their right to say whatever they want. But it's just sometimes it baffles me and I get real adamant. CAnt help it, I'm a cuse fan thru & thru
Dealer please split my cards.

If there are 3 years left on a GOR, that is less money than if there are 15 years left on the GOR.

Okay I will admit I am a little fuzzy on all the details when it comes to the grant of rights ironclad deal into not so much again same scenario but I mean I have heard that over and over and over just because you know I mean people are looking to fill a show, lack of content, or you know you hear something like that and a lot of ACC fans are going to want to listen to make sure that they are safe and/or ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS!! I know I did.
Of course you never feel completely safe I mean obviously I mean there's too many things in this deal that when against us besides the fact that keeping this conference together until the inevitable .

I'm really just surprised that you know a commissioner who was at the head of the ACC for a very very long time could not have seen this coming I just can't believe that so I mean that makes it even worse that you just didn't care he just wanted the ACC to remain intact until he was out the door and then not his problem anymore.
You can be excused for being ignorant about the ACC and attributing motives that make no sense for the old ACC abut do make sense of schools from top north or are part of the new SEC or are within the Texas orbit.

The ACC always did gentlemen's deals with its original broadcasting. It was about mutual respect. Nobody hired sleazy lawyers to try to cheat the other party. The ACC leadership up until right before this very now assumed that ESPN being owned by Disney, which is supposed to be Americana on TV, will be the same way. But Disney has been a whore for a long time.

Because different people hire different lawyers, and those different lawyers write different contracts. Some are better for the client; some are worse.

It was convenient for OU and UT as well as for the Big12, then they paid 2.1X the annual revenue. If it had not been convenient, the Big12 would have had no incentive to agree without a bigger payday.

Because different people hire different lawyers, and those different lawyers write different contracts. Some are better for the client; some are worse.

Very true IM but I'm curious to what the difference is and hopefully the ACC saw how the Big 12's was written and went the extra mile to improve it.

It was convenient for OU and UT as well as for the Big12, then they paid 2.1X the annual revenue. If it had not been convenient, the Big12 would have had no incentive to agree without a bigger payday.

So basically you're saying it was convenient for the Big 12 to lose its 2 biggest names/draws? I'm sorry HO but maybe I'm just not remembering how this all went down and how many years the Big 12 had GOR wise plus cost to leave compared to the ACC's. I assume it was expiring soon thus the buy out and deal is what you're saying?

So basically you're saying it was convenient for the Big 12 to lose its 2 biggest names/draws? I'm sorry HO but maybe I'm just not remembering how this all went down and how many years the Big 12 had GOR wise plus cost to leave compared to the ACC's. I assume it was expiring soon thus the buy out and deal is what you're saying?
OU and UT we’re leaving either way, both parties agreed that leaving one year early was convenient once the incentive was sufficient. They still paid 2.1X the TV revenue to leave on year early.

Both OU and UT wanted out once they made the decision to join the SEC but the four year rights buyback was too much. They could have left but without the rights buyback the Big12 would have owned the rights to all OU and UT home games until the end of the GOR. As it is, the Big12 is an ugly mess this year

The SEC also refused to consider the teams until the rights were SEC rights. The SEC was not going to pay teams for games they cannot broadcast.

USC and UCLA decided to wait out the Pac12 GOR so they don’t have to buy back their media rights.

The above is why I am not concerned with FSU and Clemson jumping early. With 13 years left on the GOR and a 3X annual media rights buyout, the cost is generally prohibitive. By the time the ACC media rights deal is up for renegotiation, ESPN will either make a solid offer to keep the band together or they will forfeit assets to competitors and lose the northeast college sports market.

By that time, the SEC and B1G will realize they need more cannon fodder to keep the big name teams winners, their simply is not enough wins as the conferences are made up for each big name to remain a big time competitor.

And we have not discussed that the B12 will by then have created perpetual winners.

OU and UT we’re leaving either way, both parties agreed that leaving one year early was convenient once the incentive was sufficient. They still paid 2.1X the TV revenue to leave on year early.

Both OU and UT wanted out once they made the decision to join the SEC but the four year rights buyback was too much. They could have left but without the rights buyback the Big12 would have owned the rights to all OU and UT home games until the end of the GOR. As it is, the Big12 is an ugly mess this year

The SEC also refused to consider the teams until the rights were SEC rights. The SEC was not going to pay teams for games they cannot broadcast.

USC and UCLA decided to wait out the Pac12 GOR so they don’t have to buy back their media rights.

The above is why I am not concerned with FSU and Clemson jumping early. With 13 years left on the GOR and a 3X annual media rights buyout, the cost is generally prohibitive. By the time the ACC media rights deal is up for renegotiation, ESPN will either make a solid offer to keep the band together or they will forfeit assets to competitors and lose the northeast college sports market.

By that time, the SEC and B1G will realize they need more cannon fodder to keep the big name teams winners, their simply is not enough wins as the conferences are made up for each big name to remain a big time competitor.

And we have not discussed that the B12 will by then have created perpetual winners.
I agree that nobody can jump out of the ACC now or for another 5 or 6 years at least. And I do think that at some point ESPN will want to avoid any risk of losing any of the ACC's most valuable 9 or 10 members. But the issue is - can we keep things together without going crazy long enough to weather the storms?

As for new football winners in the Big 12: they will not matter much. Oregon, Washington, Cal, Utah, Arizona St in the Pac all have higher ceilings than anybody left in the Big 12 to truly matter when they might have a really good football team.

Very true IM but I'm curious to what the difference is and hopefully the ACC saw how the Big 12's was written and went the extra mile to improve it.
I read elsewhere that the ACC basically copied the Big XII GOR because they thought it was airtight. The fact that two heavyweights like UT and OU did not leave immediately seems to confirm that the GOR is pretty tightly drafted.

I agree that nobody can jump out of the ACC now or for another 5 or 6 years at least. And I do think that at some point ESPN will want to avoid any risk of losing any of the ACC's most valuable 9 or 10 members. But the issue is - can we keep things together without going crazy long enough to weather the storms?

As for new football winners in the Big 12: they will not matter much. Oregon, Washington, Cal, Utah, Arizona St in the Pac all have higher ceilings than anybody left in the Big 12 to truly matter when they might have a really good football team.
The schools you mention will not fare better in the B1G than in the Pac12. Perhaps if they jump to the Big12 they may fare better. In the B1G they will be a middle of the pack at best. The Pac12 has been largely overinflated by perception of many wins but they were paper tigers by and large as of late.

Regardless, I don't think ESPN is going to give up the ACC properties because the will lose northeast exposure in football and hoops, because the ACC generates revenue and profit, because holding the ACC essentially keeps the B1G out of the southeast, and because the ACC compliments the SEC with a long history between the core (read historical ACC and SEC) teams. Unless the ACC falls flat, I think ESPN pays the ACC, close enough to be content but not quite SEC and B1G levels.