IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

Thinking way out of the box here...could it be possible to look into adding the University of Toronto, McGill or U of Montreal? Again, just spit balling here but the potential could be there to add to the ACC if schools leave and SU would fit in well if they were to seriously upgrade facilities for football.

Thinking way out of the box here...could it be possible to look into adding the University of Toronto, McGill or U of Montreal? Again, just spit balling here but the potential could be there to add to the ACC if schools leave and SU would fit in well if they were to seriously upgrade facilities for football.
That is outside the box! I like it, and I think the schools would already be competitive in some sports, could get there in others, but I’d imagine it would be difficult to get football up to snuff.

I wasn't talking pre GOR expiration. At the end of the GOR it will be hard for FSU to sign onto a new ACC GOR given their antics.

I agree with the payouts, but the FSU AD does not. He gave a presentation on how the B12 would pass the ACC. He went full Kook and you should never go full Kook. Now the FSU world is full of Kooks. They have become the WV of conference expansion.

It will be hard to come back from that and sign onto an extended GOR in 2034. It can be done, but the antikookery needs to start now. That probably also means firing the AD.

Then again if the SEC really does want FSU, this is all moot.
The SEC only wants FSU if that is what it takes to keep the BT from getting planted into the South. Ditto for SEC and Clemson

And you are fully correct about the craziness that is part of FSU. Unless a calm, cool head is in place, FSU always produces wild eyed types ready to scream and thrash in many directions.

Answer to what question? Read what you wrote and what about that is clear?

Go where the money is, means SU to the B16 or SEC. Those are the only real money options. If we cannot be in either, I rather be in a left over ACC. The B12 will be the minor leagues. Do we really care about being in the XFL vs USFL? They both suck. So why not be in an Eastern conference with traditional rivals that is more BBall focused?

Going to the B12 where travel is a PIA and we have no history with opponents is not worth a few million $ more per year. On top of that we actually could make the playoffs in the ACC.
I cannot fathom why anybody thinks the Big 12, starting after OU and Texas leave, should be worth anything. Over the past few years, the ACC has drawn more total TV viewers for football than the Big 12, (with the Big TV having a slightly larger per game average). And that was with OU and Texas, which always draw the most viewers, with no close 3rd. Big 12 football TV numbers are about to tank.

The ACC's great weakness in football TV numbers is that neither Wake not BC is ever going to draw any fans. They simply cannot. They are permanent liabilities, like having 2 Vanderbilts, with each having perhaps slightly less drawing power than the actual Vandy.

The bigger issue for the ACC is that long contract. ESPN seems happy to see the ACC fall ever farther behind while its TV numbers dwarf those of the Pac and are much better overall than those of the Big 12. ESPN will not be better off with having 1 MAJOR conference (say, a 20 team SEC) than with having 2 MAJOR conferences. And the Big 12 can ever again be in that category.

I cannot fathom why anybody thinks the Big 12, starting after OU and Texas leave, should be worth anything. Over the past few years, the ACC has drawn more total TV viewers for football than the Big 12, (with the Big TV having a slightly larger per game average). And that was with OU and Texas, which always draw the most viewers, with no close 3rd. Big 12 football TV numbers are about to tank.

The ACC's great weakness in football TV numbers is that neither Wake not BC is ever going to draw any fans. They simply cannot. They are permanent liabilities, like having 2 Vanderbilts, with each having perhaps slightly less drawing power than the actual Vandy.

The bigger issue for the ACC is that long contract. ESPN seems happy to see the ACC fall ever farther behind while its TV numbers dwarf those of the Pac and are much better overall than those of the Big 12. ESPN will not be better off with having 1 MAJOR conference (say, a 20 team SEC) than with having 2 MAJOR conferences. And the Big 12 can ever again be in that category.

Yeah, Wake and BC as relatively small privates, as you mention, don't/won't ever tilt the needle. Wake is like 5th fiddle in NC. UNC & NCST carry the flagships. Then, you have East Carolina and APP St. with much larger followings, etc. For the most part, fans of Duke seemingly either went to Duke or have some related connection.

BC is in a state, with schools of higher academic standing in Harvard and MIT, and, most importantly, in a region where college sports is consequential in nature to its pro teams, etc.

Syracuse, although a relatively small private as the aforementioned and its similar traits etc., it does have the unique standing of baring the city's name in which it sits/resides. So, Syracuse’s following/reach extends quite a bit further than its alumni, etc. Not to mention, it's the only game in town.

I have lived in the Charlotte area for nearly 3 decades, so it has been a while since my daily life in and around Syracuse. However, I lived in the Syracuse area for nearly 25 years before trekking south. Then, and likely still nowadays, Syracuse and vicinity, etc. extending west to Rochester, east to Utica, the North Country, southern tier/Binghamton area, etc. all have strong Syracuse followings. Along with pockets of NYC and the Mid-Atlantic, etc. where a lot of alumni reside, as well as various transplants.

I guess my point is, if Syracuse could ever get its chit together relative to football (especially in the next decade and as the GOR approaches, etc.) its attractiveness would be much greater IMO.

Last edited:

Smartest post in this thread.

There is something about conference realignment that makes people completely insane. We need to ACT NOW and join Kansas State and Texas Tech in the B12 and beat Pitt to the punch! Then we add Gonzaga and St. Mary's as bball only and we get a streaming deal with MGM+!

Outside of a BIG and/or SEC invite in some future mega-league, the ACC, even a pillaged ACC, is the best place for us.

There is something about conference realignment that makes people completely insane. We need to ACT NOW and join Kansas State and Texas Tech in the B12 and beat Pitt to the punch! Then we add Gonzaga and St. Mary's as bball only and we get a streaming deal with MGM+!

Outside of a BIG and/or SEC invite in some future mega-league, the ACC, even a pillaged ACC, is the best place for us.
PennSt would much rather play Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Boston College, then Rutgers and Maryland. When cable is no longer the Big deal, you might see old rivalries back again. Maryland and Rutgers will bring nothing in streaming to the Big 10.

There are a million different ways this could all go. Including the B16 and SEC never adding again.

How I see it…

UNC 76% B16. I could see them in the SEC but I think they are B16 bound.

UVA 76% B16. Where UNC goes, they will follow.

BC 67% ACC. I think they are looking at ACC or AAC. They better hope the ACC doesn’t fold.

Duke 67% ACC. It is possible that UNC throws them a lifeline. The B12 would have interest too, but I think they stay.

FSU 67% B12. I think their ego makes them leave the ACC no matter what. But I am not sure they get a B16 or SEC invite.

Louisville 67% B12. I think they would leave the ACC if offered but would they get an invite?

Wake 67% ACC. Nobody wants them. Like BC it is ACC or AAC.

Clemson 51% B12. I think they have a better chance at the SEC than FSU and are more willing to stay in the ACC.

GA Tech 51% ACC. I could see them getting a B16 invite. B12 would like them but ACC is the better fit.

Miami 51% ACC. They could end up anywhere. But at the end of the day the academic fit of the ACC and big fish aspect wins out. They would get lost in those other conferences.

NC State 51% SEC. Do they get an invite? If not do they stay ACC or go B12?

Pitt 51% ACC. There is a long shot at the B16. But I think they will need to decide between the B12 (Cincy, Louisville, WV) or the ACC (BC, Duke, SU).

SU 51% ACC. We are the biggest program in the Northeast so we likely get an invite somewhere. I think our best fit is a rebuilt ACC.

VA Tech 51% SEC. Same as with NC State.

So…

B16
UNC, UVA

SEC
NC State, VA Tech

B12
Clemson, FSU, Louisville

ACC
BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Pitt, SU, Wake, and Notre Dame non FB

At a minimum that ACC would need to add 3 FB schools and I think at a max 5:

Army/Navy 51% as FB onlies. They have name recognition, history, academics, location. Would they come? Would the ACC offer?

Nova 51%. They have the academic fit, BBall fit, location fit, and market. Would they go FBS? Would they leave the Big East?

UConn 49%. They would fit for BBall and location. Not so much as a school. I think the B12 might grab them first though.

FAU 34%. Only if Miami is gone. They showed that they care about sports by moving up to the AAC and with the F4 run.

James Madison 34%. They add VA. They have had success at lower levels in FB. I think they only get an invite if you need one more team to fill out the league.

Temple 34%. Mainly if Nova says no.

USF 34%. They have the market but are not a fit as a school. Also they are a mess in both FB and BBall. But they are in Florida for recruiting should you need a team there.

And if Army/Navy come on the FB side, then I could see Georgetown and St Johns on the BBall side.

I think should SU get left out of the P2, that our best scenario is staying in the ACC along with...

Army/St Johns, BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Navy/Georgetown, Notre Dame, Nova, Pitt, Wake

Which gives us a round robin 9 game FB conference schedule and a 20 game BBall.
Yeah but let's be honest I mean the payout is going to be extremely low and that is the whole point of my argument.

I mean I don't even think Miami and Georgia tech would stay in a league Georgia tech maybe Miami, now Miami has a lot to offer they don't have to stay in the ACC so that makes it even worse so I think we would probably get single digits in terms of maybe back in the Big East days when we are making 11 million something like that.
How would the football program compete or survive with those numbers???

PennSt would much rather play Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Boston College, then Rutgers and Maryland. When cable is no longer the Big deal, you might see old rivalries back again. Maryland and Rutgers will bring nothing in streaming to the Big 10.
Yeah of course they would so they can go undefeated every year but guess what they're not going too!

there's a zero chance that's going to happen. can we come back to reality, I mean some people are just speaking fantasy and I'm trying to bring people back to reality and what is actually going to happen not what they wish would happen.

Penn State making potentially 90 million to 100 million in the coming years, ain't going anywhere so what the hell are we talking about?

I am willing to eat a crow sandwich if wrong here but I think anyone expecting the ACC to blow up anytime in the next 8 years should probably not hold their breath. Again if it was possible to break the GOR it would have happened already. If it was possible to break up the league, it would be in process and all over the news. The ridiculous 7 wannabes were just churning up the waters to drive some tiered incentives. Nothing more. Everyone else is going ham over the ACC meeting but the ridiculous 7 amounted to a big nothing burger.
From what I am hearing that is true at this very moment and the next couple years but every year that fee gets smaller and smaller and that's what they're waiting on according to what I have heard and probably others as well I don't have an inside source or anything but it makes sense that's why a lot of people think it could happen in 2030.

With the money those two conferences are bringing will be bringing in at that point I think those top-tier main schools can make it happen I hope not but it's pretty much a pipe dream because that was the stupidest deal I have ever seen in my life when you look back at it from where we are now why the hell would he make a deal like that it was a freaking Band-Aid at best and now we're going to be facing this situation all over again wow Rutgers is sitting pretty that pisses me off

For me, the funniest part of the pro-Big 12 craziness is that Big 12 people chirp how they are certain their basketball is better than ACC basketball, and som who toil son pass the ACC in TV viewers, yet Big 12 basketball now needs Gonzaga and UConn and maybe even St Marys.

The Big 12 has lost its 2 only big value pieces. It has KU basketball, and as big as that is, UNC-Dook in the semis drew more than did UNC-KU in the finals. Nobody in Big 12 football starting next year will have any consistent national drawing power. Not one school. And only KU has ever had consistent national drawing power in basketball.

If WVU played in a conference with Pitt, Cincinnati, Louisville, Va Tech, Syracuse, Boston College, Temple - doesn't that look like (a) they would save substantially on travel costs, and (b) renew old rivalries? That helps recruiting, and it helps the product on the field / court when there is actual history between the opponents.
I'm sorry but that will not help recruiting playing those teams when they could go any kid to the SEC Big ten or Big 12 give me a break

From what I am hearing that is true at this very moment and the next couple years but every year that fee gets smaller and smaller and that's what they're waiting on according to what I have heard and probably others as well I don't have an inside source or anything but it makes sense that's why a lot of people think it could happen in 2030.

With the money those two conferences are bringing will be bringing in at that point I think those top-tier main schools can make it happen I hope not but it's pretty much a pipe dream because that was the stupidest deal I have ever seen in my life when you look back at it from where we are now why the hell would he make a deal like that it was a freaking Band-Aid at best and now we're going to be facing this situation all over again wow Rutgers is sitting pretty that pisses me off
Nobody was then guessing how much the war between networks to pay to secure the top 2 league draws in football would enter the land of the insane. The ACC deal was fine for that day, save for the length. And the ACC is not a cut throat league in any sense. So the ACC always negotiates everything ion good faith, including taking people's words as what things mean. A major problem we now have is that ESPN refuses to do actual look ins, much less pay for what find.

If the ACC is to remain it really is up to UNC. IMO FSU is the only one really looking to leave. Others will for a P2 invite, but those might not come. I could see the other 13 schools extending the GOR in 10 years for another 5 years. With FSU ending up in the B12.
Listen man if the ACC in 10 years were to restructure their contract and be able to make more money then why the hell would Florida State leave

I wasn't talking pre GOR expiration. At the end of the GOR it will be hard for FSU to sign onto a new ACC GOR given their antics.

I agree with the payouts, but the FSU AD does not. He gave a presentation on how the B12 would pass the ACC. He went full Kook and you should never go full Kook. Now the FSU world is full of Kooks. They have become the WV of conference expansion.

It will be hard to come back from that and sign onto an extended GOR in 2034. It can be done, but the antikookery needs to start now. That probably also means firing the AD.

Then again if the SEC really does want FSU, this is all moot.
That was probably the truth but at the same time a business tactic for the ACC to do something and it worked for the revenue distribution but they still have a lot more to do cuz this new commissioner was given a s*** deal

Who really cares what they what he said you think they're really going to remember that five or six seven years down the road when this or what you said may happen it's about value and what they bring to a conference so they can make more money as a whole and for each member that's all it's about everyone's always talking about all this personal b******* and it just sounds stupid

Isn't that what Syracuse football has been doing upgrading the facilities I mean that's what I heard the mellow center which is for basketball the football facility which has a whole bunch of cool amenities in there so I mean they're never going to be Oregon but I think they're doing all right in terms of spending money at least from what I've heard

I'm sorry but that will not help recruiting playing those teams when they could go any kid to the SEC Big ten or Big 12 give me a break
After Texas and OU, Big 12 football is not going to be landing any 5*s, and 4*s will be very few and far between - usually because of deep ties to a school.

WVU football playing an ACC schedule would not become a national recruiting juggernaut, but it would revive a solid base it once had stretching from New Jersey down to Miami. Those guys who are not 5* or high 4* tend all to want to play fairly close to home. And few of them care to play for agate that plays all league games 1000 miles away.

So, yes, I do think that WVU in the ACC would solidify itself. And WVU fans are quite passionate.

The reality is that ESPN is not going to pay the ACC more for adding a WVU as it would form adding ND. But dropping Wake and BC to add WVU and perhaps Cincinnati should be worth a raise. And I would much prefer to try that than to do nothing.

After Texas and OU, Big 12 football is not going to be landing any 5*s, and 4*s will be very few and far between - usually because of deep ties to a school.

WVU football playing an ACC schedule would not become a national recruiting juggernaut, but it would revive a solid base it once had stretching from New Jersey down to Miami. Those guys who are not 5* or high 4* tend all to want to play fairly close to home. And few of them care to play for agate that plays all league games 1000 miles away.

So, yes, I do think that WVU in the ACC would solidify itself. And WVU fans are quite passionate.

The reality is that ESPN is not going to pay the ACC more for adding a WVU as it would form adding ND. But dropping Wake and BC to add WVU and perhaps Cincinnati should be worth a raise. And I would much prefer to try that than to do nothing.
If it is all about FB shouldn't we dump Duke? They are the weakest link and make BC look like a giant fanbase.

Listen man if the ACC in 10 years were to restructure their contract and be able to make more money then why the hell would Florida State leave

My main point is the majority of the ACC is likely to extend the GOR another 6 years when the time comes to stay or go. And long term as long as one of UNC or Notre Dame is still around, so will be the ACC.

UNC will stay in the ACC for as long as possible. If their BBall is doing well enough, they will sign on for another 6 year TV contract.

If UNC stays then Duke, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, GA Tech are all staying.

SU, Pitt, and BC have nowhere to go at this point.

No one wants Wake.

Louisville would only go as a filler/+1 and that is very unlikely to happen at this point.

The SEC has no incentive to add FSU or Clemson, and neither are a fit for the B16.

I could see Miami getting a B16 invite in 10 years and going. That would suck to lose them, but that won't kill the ACC and it won't put the ACC payout in jeopardy. Especially if we replace them with USF.

I suppose that could cause FSU to panic and go to the B12. But again the ACC will be fine without them.

IMO there won't be real movement until 2040. But that is dependent on UNC BBall remaining a top BBall program.

My main point is the majority of the ACC is likely to extend the GOR another 6 years when the time comes to stay or go. And long term as long as one of UNC or Notre Dame is still around, so will be the ACC.

UNC will stay in the ACC for as long as possible. If their BBall is doing well enough, they will sign on for another 6 year TV contract.

If UNC stays then Duke, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, GA Tech are all staying.

SU, Pitt, and BC have nowhere to go at this point.

No one wants Wake.

Louisville would only go as a filler/+1 and that is very unlikely to happen at this point.

The SEC has no incentive to add FSU or Clemson, and neither are a fit for the B16.

I could see Miami getting a B16 invite in 10 years and going. That would suck to lose them, but that won't kill the ACC and it won't put the ACC payout in jeopardy. Especially if we replace them with USF.

I suppose that could cause FSU to panic and go to the B12. But again the ACC will be fine without them.

IMO there won't be real movement until 2040. But that is dependent on UNC BBall remaining a top BBall program.
The robots will be in charge by 2040.

Im sure you are good at many things in life, unfortunately your take on the ACC deal and the GOR isnt one of them.

Im sure you are good at many things in life, unfortunately your take on the ACC deal and the GOR isnt one of them.
I never said I was but I know one thing is that I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying anybody else's I'm just specifically speaking for myself. I consider myself to have quite a decent amount of intellect and I use it a moments like this. I mean I think this is just common sense & I mean I see some people's responses. You know?
I mean that's their right to say whatever they want. But it's just sometimes it baffles me and I get real adamant. CAnt help it, I'm a cuse fan thru & thru

For me, the funniest part of the pro-Big 12 craziness is that Big 12 people chirp how they are certain their basketball is better than ACC basketball, and som who toil son pass the ACC in TV viewers, yet Big 12 basketball now needs Gonzaga and UConn and maybe even St Marys.

The Big 12 has lost its 2 only big value pieces. It has KU basketball, and as big as that is, UNC-Dook in the semis drew more than did UNC-KU in the finals. Nobody in Big 12 football starting next year will have any consistent national drawing power. Not one school. And only KU has ever had consistent national drawing power in basketball.
Well you know I really wish that our commissioner and past commissioner were like this guy because I want a proactive guy in charge not a guy who's just gonna sit back and wait?

For something to happen ive seen many people including me say this very for a long time and still nothing has changed every single day in our ACC. On the contrary it's the complete opposite in the big 12. You hear something about the big 12 all the time.

there's nothin wrong with making Your conference. As good as it can possibly be and bringin those 2 schools will help very much.

Am I a fan of it, no but doesn't change nothing it's still a possibility of happening

Last edited: