Im here for the officiating takes. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Im here for the officiating takes.

I'd love to have anyone on the board who has officiated to explain the foul where tOSU player is backing the SU player under the hoop and the SU player gets called. That was one called on MD. Also dumbass dakich kept talking about the maybe goaltend when Battle the play before got called for one of the worst offensive foul calls I've ever seen
Against Marek? He was fine until he put his arm around him and appeared to pull the bigger man down. It was the arm that sealed it

Against Marek? He was fine until he put his arm around him and appeared to pull the bigger man down. It was the arm that sealed it

He means the fifth foul, which was pure shite. He didn't hook him at all. You can go back and look if you like. I remember the time stamp as we went to commercial. It was with 7:55 left.

He means the fifth foul, which was pure shite. He didn't hook him at all. You can go back and look if you like. I remember the time stamp as we went to commercial. It was with 7:55 left.
Looked like the OSU player threw an elbow at Marek as he backed him down, but Marek gets called for his 5th. Under normal officiating, wouldn’t that have been reviewed for a flagrant on OSU? Couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Looked like the OSU player threw an elbow at Marek as he backed him down, but Marek gets called for his 5th. Under normal officiating, wouldn’t that have been reviewed for a flagrant on OSU? Couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Don't remember the elbow. But Wesson was definitely throwing his bountiful ass around all night.

Don't remember the elbow. But Wesson was definitely throwing his bountiful ass around all night.
On second thought, the elbow was on Hughes, not Marek. The one where Hughes was standing there outside the arc and gets called for a block after Wesson elbows him in the neck.

On second thought, the elbow was on Hughes, not Marek. The one where Hughes was standing there outside the arc and gets called for a block after Wesson elbows him in the neck.

Yeah, I remember that. It wasn't Wesson, though. It was Kyle Young. Equally awful player.

Yeah, I remember that. It wasn't Wesson, though. It was Kyle Young. Equally awful player.
My rage from the game is totally clouding my memory. You’re right. It was Young.

"Officiating takes?" Okay, here's one: SU fans talk about the referees the same way everyone else talks about their zone D. :D

56 fouls on called on us in our last 2 against OSU. They shot 35 fts tonight and 42 in the 2012 Elite 8 game. I never want to play them again

The thing that made it so bad as well was that typically we see refs balance things out from one half to the other. Large imbalances are worked out through the officials course correcting. Instead they continued to widen the game, took out key SU players with questionable fouls and seemingly had no end in sight to forcing us to end up with walkons.

reffing was egregiously bad, especially in the second half.

but, man, at the end of the first half we made some really dumb fouls far from the hoop and only had ourselves to blame.
I agree the 2nd half was much worse - the first half we had a lot of self inflicted foul wounds and our offense in the first half is not going to generate fouls. The Globetrotter magic weave and a 30 footer on a fading shot clock is not going to be - and in IMHO should not be - rewarded.

This is everything wrong with college basketball:

They keep changing the rules to make it harder to draw charges and the refs keep ignoring the rules. Refs need to start getting suspended and fired. They are ruining the game by continuing to ignore the rules.

Davison was moving on every one of those calls. Every one. Players with the ball have to be able to brush by defenders and not get called for charges. You can't take away the ability to drive. Not when the player with the ball is clearly trying to avoid contact.

They keep changing the rules to make it harder to draw charges and the refs keep ignoring the rules. Refs need to start getting suspended and fired. They are ruining the game by continuing to ignore the rules.

Davison was moving on every one of those calls. Every one. Players with the ball have to be able to brush by defenders and not get called for charges. You can't take away the ability to drive. Not when the player with the ball is clearly trying to avoid contact.

Yeah, a defender is absolutely allowed to move once he's established legal guarding position. Not seeing the change in the rule you are talking about.

The sliding under a player on the helpside defense is absolutely supposed to be a defensive foul now. It's not when the offensive player has left his feet, but when the player has started his motion. I saw at least one of those in the game last night and in the clip above.

In regard to the block/charge call in men’s basketball, the committee is proposing that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul.

Men’s basketball rules committee tweaks block/charge, Women’s committee adds 10-second backcourt rule

I didn't have a problem with the double foul call. It was one of the few calls they got right.

I didn't have a problem with the double foul call. It was one of the few calls they got right.

Was that called both ways? I actually didn't know that. Watched with no sound.

Yeah, a defender is absolutely allowed to move once he's established legal guarding position. Not seeing the change in the rule you are talking about.

The sliding under a player on the helpside defense is absolutely supposed to be a defensive foul now. It's not when the offensive player has left his feet, but when the player has started his motion. I saw at least one of those in the game last night and in the clip above.

In regard to the block/charge call in men’s basketball, the committee is proposing that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul.

Men’s basketball rules committee tweaks block/charge, Women’s committee adds 10-second backcourt rule

There have been 3 or 4, maybe 5 changes to try and address the flopping epidemic in college basketball.

One resulted in the charge half circle in the paint.

There was another change in June of 2012.

NCAA shores up block-charge definition

Another change happened the off season a year later after the awful charge call against Brandon Triche in the Final Four. I believe that was a Michigan player flopping that game.

Then there was another in 2016. See change 4 below.

College basketball's 5 biggest rule changes this season: Things to know

There might be more. Don't have time to research it. My point is that refs continue to call too many blocks as charges, the NCAA keeps changing the rules and the refs still make the same
bad calls. None of those charge calls were legit. At least not to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom