I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

More than bad luck. QBs get injured -- just look around to other programs.

It was obvious entering 2014 that the QB cupboard was bare behind Hunt. Pretty much the same entering 2015. And obvious the cupboard was bare entering 2016 behind Dungey. Other coaches would have seen the glaring need for JUCO help at QB.

It was bad recruiting at the QB position, and taking a huge risk on standing pat.

True and the qb position is the single most important position in sports . teams arent the same without their qb.

Playing exclusive Tampa 2 is not good.
Playing exclusive Shafer system is not good.
We should play Tampa 2 and then in 3rd down situations mix in blitzes.

Give Dino Babers football mind over Scott Shafer's all day long.
Not on defense

This is year one of a four year project to be nationally relevant. We should make lower bowls in the next 2 years.

This roster had 1 P5 QB, little quality returning OL depth, and a young DL.
We need more DBs.

I trust in Dino.
I doubt very much we will make a bowl next year. Much too hard of a schedule. Start off with the Ville, Clemson, FSU, LSU and Miami. That is 5 losses right there. We are going 6-1 in the other games?

I doubt very much we will make a bowl next year. Much too hard of a schedule. Start off with the Ville, Clemson, FSU, LSU and Miami. That is 5 losses right there. We are going 6-1 in the other games?
Yes as they will be at home. CMU, MTSU, 1-AA, BC, Wake, and Pitt. Plus a road game at NC State.
We can win 6 of these games.

Tulane is one of the finest universities in the South . They just built a new stadium and hired a new coach and are located in NOLA . There is no reason to think they couldn't be as good as Baylor , TCU , Stanford or Southern Cal . WMU is a good low level state school .
You think that Tulane could be as good year in and year out as USC? Really?

I will take Dino Babers as a HC over Scott Shafer as a HC every time.
Not what you implied. You implied that you would take dino's defense over Shafer's defense with regard to the Tampa 2. There isn't a Head coach in the country that would hire Dino over Scott for D coordinator. Scoot knows defense.

Yes as they will be at home. CMU, MTSU, 1-AA, BC, Wake, and Pitt. Plus a road game at NC State.
We can win 6 of these games.
Winnable games, yes. But to go 6-1? We are behind Pitt by a good margin right now. And will be next year as well. NC State will be very tough for us next year. That is two games we probably will be underdogs in. And that is running the table against the other schools.

Winnable games, yes. But to go 6-1? We are behind Pitt by a good margin right now. And will be next year as well. NC State will be very tough for us next year. That is two games we probably will be underdogs in. And that is running the table against the other schools.
Pitt loses Pederman and Connor. We can beat them.
I would expect to go 3-1 in the nonconference and find 3 ACC games.

NC state doesn't scare me. I'm convinced we would have beaten them with Dungey. Hopefully he'll prove me right next year.

so you're already burned out next year too?

CousCuse says some wild stuff.
Tulane invested a hundred million in a new stadium and went out and signed a great program building coach who runs an offensive system that would have been a perfect fit for Scott's skillset . I'm sure the alumni at LSU took notice and thought , they are going to be getting serious down there about football . Does that seem like some far fetched theory to you . Why not use a scholarship on Scott . Why let weeds grow when they are easy to pull out when they're small .

More than bad luck. QBs get injured -- just look around to other programs.

It was obvious entering 2014 that the QB cupboard was bare behind Hunt. Pretty much the same entering 2015. And obvious the cupboard was bare entering 2016 behind Dungey. Other coaches would have seen the glaring need for JUCO help at QB.

It was bad recruiting at the QB position, and taking a huge risk on standing pat.
The previous staff did and brought in a grad transfer named Drew Allen... and he bombed.

Zach Mahoney is a decent back-up quarterback but that's all he is. Someday we'll replace an injured quarterback with the next star at the position.

I think this will turn out to have been Dino Babers worse team, which is a good thing, not a bad one.

Tulane invested a hundred million in a new stadium and went out and signed a great program building coach who runs an offensive system that would have been a perfect fit for Scott's skillset . I'm sure the alumni at LSU took notice and thought , they are going to be getting serious down there about football . Does that seem like some far fetched theory to you . Why not use a scholarship on Scott . Why let weeds grow when they are easy to pull out when they're small .

Ok.

USC Trojans though. Cmon.

Not what you implied. You implied that you would take dino's defense over Shafer's defense with regard to the Tampa 2. There isn't a Head coach in the country that would hire Dino over Scott for D coordinator. Scoot knows defense.

Not sure that that was indeed what he implied , but it isnt even close, not a conversation regarding which defense is better. Shafer ran an aggressive blitzing defense that was dynamic . this year with the t2 has been the same result , just without the heat on the qb, which is truly frustrating. Simply put, the lack of defense has been made more tolerant by the huge bump in offense ;)

I don't get how Dino has thrown his talent "under the bus"?

What I see is a Coach who is implementing his style of play that only some of the current roster are suited for. People could argue that the HC needs to adapt, but he wasn't taking over a program that was winning at a high level and had an established, winning style of play. He basically has to audition his style of play for future recruits and work with what he has now.

While the offense has been a bit of a disappointment, it was serviceable until the injuries and lack of depth has basically ground production to a halt. I do think he showed enough early in the year to entice some HS recruits, and maybe some important post-grad transfers to look at the program harder than they would. I am very happy with the improvements I have seen on the defensive side of the ball, with imo a bunch of players that physically aren't a fit for the scheme. I think Ward has done a great job and the unit has shown the improvements throughout the season that I was hoping to see from both sides of the ball.

I think Dino is the man for the job. I would be really surprised if we aren't penciling in 7 or 8 wins a year after year 4.
in press conferences he has said more than once after getting trounced, that now he sees what type of player he needs to recruit. I like dino a lot too, and I'm not saying that I disagree with him, but he has made it clear that we are talent deficient...which we all know anyway.

ill give 3 losses guaranteed miami isnt no world beater. Who is the qb for clemson next year and when do we play them could put them in the not impossible category since were home

Wasn't the Texas game in the dome the one where the railing gave way and Graves almost got crushed by students?

Yep, 1992. Great game.

1993 Texas was frustrating.

1994 Oklahoma was what CousCuse was referring to. Ended up being a 7-4 season where we really limped at the end. 2 shutouts in the last 4. In those days, with the amount of bowls, how you played at the end of the season was as important as anything. And kept us at home. Hard to imagine now.

It's been debated here a zillion times, but SU had rebuilt after Marrone. Following him up with Shafer was just not a smart move. It felt ok at the time, and we all rallied around his press conference, his energy, his love of the community. But it wasn't the time to go cheap, and we went cheap. We had already secured the ACC. We should have been looking for another offensive mind, preferably someone with HC experience.

Bad call by Gross, but hiring football coaches wasn't his biggest strength (to say it nicely). He had to be talked into Marrone from what I recall.

Dino's first year is similar to Marrone's, although Marrone's slump was in the middle, Dino is limping to the finish. This will work if he stays here. If he doesn't, we have the resources to hire someone similar. And I feel a little better about those who will be making that decision.

It's been debated here a zillion times, but SU had rebuilt after Marrone. Following him up with Shafer was just not a smart move. It felt ok at the time, and we all rallied around his press conference, his energy, his love of the community. But it wasn't the time to go cheap, and we went cheap. We had already secured the ACC. We should have been looking for another offensive mind, preferably someone with HC experience.

Bad call by Gross, but hiring football coaches wasn't his biggest strength (to say it nicely). He had to be talked into Marrone from what I recall.

Dino's first year is similar to Marrone's, although Marrone's slump was in the middle, Dino is limping to the finish. This will work if he stays here. If he doesn't, we have the resources to hire someone similar. And I feel a little better about those who will be making that decision.

when the coach leaves in early january tough to go full on search at that point with nsd 1 month away

I was HAMMERED for expressing the take in your first paragraph. The Shafer hire going into the ACC was just a huge mistake. Your HC either needs to be able to recruit really well or be able to gameplan well and mask defencies. He did neither and now we are a dreg again.