I'm so happy for BJ and his father... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so happy for BJ and his father...

I just love these threads where incoming freshman have already made the starting five before they hit campus. High school ball does not equal Div. 1. Oh, and I forgot that Bryant might have a problem learning the zone.

Just like the NBA draft the less we know about a young player the more highly we value him.

I just love these threads where incoming freshman have already made the starting five before they hit campus. High school ball does not equal Div. 1. Oh, and I forgot that Bryant might have a problem learning the zone.

:D

pfister1 said:
Just like the NBA draft the less we know about a young player the more highly we value him.

It's great that BJ made a few shots in a loss today.

But he'll be a junior next and likely won't play much next year.

Just a fact.

Why? Do you think he's playing much next year?

Just being a realist.

He's a second round draft pick, at best, right now.

A strong senior year and he moves into the first round.

Anyway, Pitt sorta took away his strengths today.
He will be too old to be a 1st round pick.

I don't think G is going anywhere. As I said before, who is the last player to leave (not to the NBA) when they had time left? Devo and Harris, not their decision.
Who is the last RS Jr., coming off a season like he is having, to come back?
Especially after 2 non-descript prior years? Not just at SU, but nationally?
He is as close as he will be to getting drafted. Likely will have his degree in May, assuming he left Duke in good standing. No real reason to stick around, other than 1 free year of grad school.
I would be THRILLED if he does, but not surprised if he doesn't.

Who is the last RS Jr., coming off a season like he is having, to come back?
Especially after 2 non-descript prior years? Not just at SU, but nationally?
He is as close as he will be to getting drafted. Likely will have his degree in May, assuming he left Duke in good standing. No real reason to stick around, other than 1 free year of grad school.
I would be THRILLED if he does, but not surprised if he doesn't.
This is kind of random, but...

Last season, I stood in line for nearly an hour with G's father waiting to pick up our tickets at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mr G impressed me as a very intelligent, balanced, successful man who values education very highly. Based on that one meeting (and nothing more), I suspect he would encourage G to return next year.

Last edited:

Last season, I stood in line for an hour with G's father waiting to pick up our tickets at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mr G impressed me as a very intelligent, balanced, successful man who values education very highly. Based on that one meeting (and nothing more), I suspect he would encourage G to return next year.

But would he encourage him to come back as a grad student? That's the real question.

Also so happy for BJ and his Dad. I was explaining to my son while the game was on why I was so excited that BJ has been having a couple of very good games. I was telling him about BJs father, how he played, and how he came on here and was so nice and all.
After BJ hit the 3, I think there was a time out, and when he came on the court the tv was on his face and you could see the confidence he was feeling, and he was directing his team mates. Such a different and nice moment to see.

Last season, I stood in line for nearly an hour with G's father waiting to pick up our tickets at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Mr G impressed me as a very intelligent, balanced, successful man who values education very highly. Based on that one meeting (and nothing more), I suspect he would encourage G to return next year.
Now you're just trolling for likes! My piercing gaze penetrates your scrim of optimism to descry the lugubrious countenance of the like-monger! Reveal yourself, Mod-phistopheles!

Sorry... I... I get carried away sometimes.

Seriously, an encouraging anecdote - thanks for sharing,

(Even if it was delivered by an admitted owl-sympathizer.)

This performance today is example 1 why kids need minutes to develop. This kid can play but when he only gets a couple of minutes and no chance to play its hard to get confidence. It is obvious JB requires kids to master the zone first but Johnson was a 3 pt threat and while isn't an assassin yet can shoot for a team needing shooters.
Hopefully JB can divide the minutes between Johnson and Roberson and play G at the 2 and Johnson at the 3.
Nothing to lose as SU will be an underdog in its last 4 games.

BJ was our best shooter today. He was 3/4 from the 3; 3/5 from the floor; and 2/2 from the line.

I hope this game is the confidence-builder he needs to become the player we hope he will.

Yup. BJ coming into his own. Great to see.

Credit to Buss and Roberson also.

Buss now playing within himself and Roberson improving by leaps and bounds.

Fun to watch their development.

He is looking a lot better with increased playing time. Still think he has potential if he stays.
Yes...shocking how a little PT can help a kid start to show their true potential.
Again, JB having to be dragged kicking and screaming, whether by circumstance or injury, is the saddest part of this equation.
Play the kids. Let them grow. Build towards March...what a novel concept! :rolleyes:

He's a second round draft pick, at best, right now.

A strong senior year and he moves into the first round.

Anyway, Pitt sorta took away his strengths today.
Cooney and Joseph took away G's strengths

Yes...shocking how a little PT can help a kid start to show their true potential.
Again, JB having to be dragged kicking and screaming, whether by circumstance or injury, is the saddest part of this equation.
Play the kids. Let them grow. Build towards March...what a novel concept! :rolleyes:
Lets be fair. BJ and Patterson both have had more chances that guys that performed like they did early, wouldn't normally get. But the point is sometimes it takes longer.

Lets be fair. BJ and Patterson both have had more chances that guys that performed like they did early, wouldn't normally get. But the point is sometimes it takes longer.

I think JB has said as much before in one of SWC's recaps, but if you give a kid a couple minutes here and there with a bunch of DNPs thrown in, you can't expect much. They press too much.

As a 19 year old (or 38 year old in Patterson's case), it's hard to think defense is the biggest key to staying on the floor, you gotta score (incorrect assumption on this team). Which leads to pressing. I think that's what hampered Rak's development a bit personally. The quick hooks, combined with the extremely limited touches led to his looking a bit less refined than he actually was last year. When that one shot means sooooooo much, well, in a lot of cases bad results will follow.

It's such a small-sample size we're all guessing though. JB sees them in practice.

As far as Patterson, eh, seemed like a typical game, but with extended minutes. Except he hit one three. Still not sure why a lot seem to think he's some sort of dufus on the court that does nothing.

I still think BJ is only 19. Can't wait to see his senior year!!! Btw, still like 3 years younger than Wes when he went... just sayin'

But would he encourage him to come back as a grad student? That's the real question.
Grad studies are career focussed. If his career is to play for pay somewhere, its in his best interest to start his career.

You don't forsake wins for playing time.

We did still lose the game yesterday.

Problem is that kids need extended playing time to really get comfortable. 2 minutes here and there won't do the trick.

But, if you give them extended playing time at the expense of better players, you risk losing games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom