IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're basically saying

giphy.gif

It's a bold take. Not a great one.

People in question are the healthiest folks imaginable college kids are indestructible for the most part.

The fear is warranted for anyone working in a nursing home hospital or even the poor bastard checking you out at CVS where the entire community has been filtered though since everything else is closed. You can’t even take a hike cause they closed the parking lots.

Influenza was solved by telling people to go outside spread out and we had the greatest economic growth ever seen after it.

Perspective.

I’m in a hot spot and my 2 regular supermarkets have each had a cashier die. Serious for them. Me? I’m using common sense my risk is damned low unless I start licking door knobs.

First, death sucks worse. You can always come back from financial problems. Happens all the time. I'm no expert on this but I believe if we come back too soon, it will be far worse for the economy. True or not, the most important thing, and they are not equal, is that we have to get the virus under control. It far outweighs the economy. Unless you agree with Dr Oz that opening the schools is more important than losing 2% of the children that would be going to those schools.

I want to be clear that I don’t think we should just open the economy. The heavily affected areas are nowhere near reopening. But more rural areas and states that have had little to no outbreak shouldn’t be treated the same as NYC.

Also, I want to use an analogy that I stole from someone else. 40,000 people die a year in car accidents. We could probably greatly decrease that number if we made the maximum speed limit 25mph. But as a society, we’ve decided that the benefit of being able to get from point A to point B quickly is worth the fatal car accidents that take place. No one is seriously going to argue we should limit the speed limit to 25mph.

You can look at the pandemic the same way. Is 100,000 deaths worse than 50,000,000 people losing their jobs, some who may truly never recover? Not to mention the societal effects from those lost jobs (increased suicides, drug abuse, crime, etc.). That is a fair question that reasonable minds can disagree on.

People think that there is a choice here. The only reason that people are staying at home is because the government is printing money which allows them to have an income. However, by staying at home and not traveling around, the price of oil has collapsed and the dollar is based on oil. If the dollar is destroyed because of this, we will have eaten the goose that lays the golden eggs, and at that point real chaos will take place. At this point, it appears that students aren't going to enroll for fall classes because they don't want to pay on campus tuition rates for classes they probably will take online. They already did that last semester and are not happy about it. This very well could be the end of higher education as we've known it and what that means for collegiate sports is unknown.

People in question are the healthiest folks imaginable college kids are indestructible for the most part.

The fear is warranted for anyone working in a nursing home hospital or even the poor bastard checking you out at CVS where the entire community has been filtered though since everything else is closed. You can’t even take a hike cause they closed the parking lots.

Influenza was solved by telling people to go outside spread out and we had the greatest economic growth ever seen after it.

Perspective.

I’m in a hot spot and my 2 regular supermarkets have each had a cashier die. Serious for them. Me? I’m using common sense my risk is damned low unless I start licking door knobs.
Man that's a whole gobbly goop of hypebole and ignorance. I don't even need my cup of coffee this morning after reading that high octane spew. No offense, but I'd rather act in accordance to facts and science which you are obviously not a fan of. Just keep clear of those door knobs. :confused:

Perspective.

You’re not thinking this through at all. Unless you are just talking about having the kids play games by themselves and no tv coverage. Or refs.

There's a reason I've been staying off the OT board ... self-isolating as it were. It's nice to know that the global response to this is completely wrong and that we should just rub a little dirt on it, take our lumps, and get back out there because of some non-experts on the internet think that people who have dedicated their lives to this kind of thing have mush for brains.

kids dont like online course for several reasons.. Its not all about not being of value.. for some its because they dont hand hold them.. for some its because the prof given 2 weeks couldnt flip the course to online.. for some its because they are stuck home and not with friends.

Online courses in the fall will be much better and most colleges have mandated they will be.

It is only going down because of the standards our gov't has put together. Want to see it go back up ( I know you don't) Relax the standards. It has gone down because we are not seeing each other. It's not because we have a vaccine.

I am not sure what the outcome will be but I think you’re being a little too pessimistic.

The main reason we self quarantined was to make sure our hospitals did not get overrun. It appears we were able to do that.

Next step is getting back to some level of normalcy.

Just because #45 is an idiot and botched the start of this due to his ego and other things, doesn’t mean he’s wrong 100% of the time. We can’t survive as a country or as a world if we stay like this for the next 6 months to a year. It’s not sustainable for any model.

I am not sure what the outcome will be but I think you’re being a little too pessimistic.

The main reason we self quarantined was to make sure our hospitals did not get overrun. It appears we were able to do that.

Just because #45 is an idiot and botched the start of this due to his ego and other things, doesn’t mean he’s wrong 100% of the time. We can’t survive as a country or as a world if we stay like this for the next 6 months to a year. It’s not sustainable for any model.
The second wave, if returning to normal is done like Donald wants, absolutely has the potential to overwhelm the hospitals. No one wants this, but it's what has to happen.

I don't think I am being too pessimistic. If I am, it would be the first time in my life. I hope we are not stuck like this 6 months from now. I rather think that we will open too soon and people will die because of it.

The second wave, if returning to normal is done like Donald wants, absolutely has the potential to overwhelm the hospitals. No one wants this, but it's what has to happen.

I don't think anyone knows anything with any degree of certainty.

I don't think anyone knows anything with any degree of certainty.
Worse yet, people who make decisions aren't actually listening to the people with a higher degree of certainty than the rest.

Without a doubt that is true. And one group is wrong. I'm in the take the safe side. I don't wish to risk human lives. Suddenly some want to grasp on to what Sweden believes. Does that include single payer? I don't think so.
if you don't think a decade long recession isn't going to cost a lot of lives as well, then you are mistaken there as well.

in any case, i can see that you are going to reject any information that doesn't confirm your priors, so i won't offer anything else for you

Lack of trust in the population I suppose.
unwarranted, imho. i'll post some data later which you may find enlightening . . .

as you can see in this chart, the public had already responded decisively before the politicians caught up to them and initiated lockdown orders. the politicians - and some of the medical bureaucrats for that matter - consistently have been behind the public. i can't speak for everywhere, but in los angeles people began wearing masks long before it was mandatory; indeed, many were wearing them when the official medical opinion was against it.
restaurants.jpg

as you can see in this chart, the public had already responded decisively before the politicians caught up to them and initiated lockdown orders. the politicians - and some of the medical bureaucrats for that matter - consistently have been behind the public. i can't speak for everywhere, but in los angeles people began wearing masks long before it was mandatory; indeed, many were wearing them when the official medical opinion was against it.
View attachment 180075
you should run for office because you've got all the answers.

unwarranted, imho. i'll post some data later which you may find enlightening . . .
in this twitter thread, you can see a series of charts showing the virus reproduction rate by state. you will note that in most, but not all, states, the rate was already on a downslope before the state mandated lockdown order. again, the people have been ahead of the policy - not everywhere and not always, but enough that i have more confidence in the judgement of the populace than i do in our leaders.

Worse yet, people who make decisions aren't actually listening to the people with a higher degree of certainty than the rest.

I think at the beginning that is absolutely true. He didn't listen. No doubt about it.

But right now, where we stand, it's a nuanced decision. It's not black & white, no matter what you think.

Do I trust him to make the right decision? No. Not necessarily. But if every single US citizen remained in their homes for the next year, until a vaccine was created, the majority of people would be out of work and it would be mass chaos.

I think at the beginning that is absolutely true. He didn't listen. No doubt about it.

But right now, where we stand, it's a nuanced decision. It's not black & white, no matter what you think.

Do I trust him to make the right decision? No. Not necessarily. But if every single US citizen remained in their homes for the next year, until a vaccine was created, the majority of people would be out of work and it would be mass chaos.
And yet he keeps talking about testing capacity, when the experts tell him he needs to address testing supplies. And he's pushing for residents of certain states to rebel against their Democratic governors.

Without expansive testing and contact tracing, there is no going anywhere. The vaccine will come later, but if you really want to get america back to work, we need hundreds of millions more tests, and soon.

Last edited:
in this twitter thread, you can see a series of charts showing the virus reproduction rate by state. you will note that in most, but not all, states, the rate was already on a downslope before the state mandated lockdown order. again, the people have been ahead of the policy - not everywhere and not always, but enough that i have more confidence in the judgement of the populace than i do in our leaders.
Holy crap, maybe you can forward this twitter thread to the people making decisions, surprised they haven't seen this stuff!

First, death sucks worse. You can always come back from financial problems. Happens all the time. I'm no expert on this but I believe if we come back too soon, it will be far worse for the economy. True or not, the most important thing, and they are not equal, is that we have to get the virus under control. It far outweighs the economy. Unless you agree with Dr Oz that opening the schools is more important than losing 2% of the children that would be going to those schools.
No one knows that for sure it's just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

OK, this RT.Live is VERY cool.
Smart guys are smart, who knew?

Yeah, this is definitely an instance where the "leadership" came from the people, not the elected officials, for the most part.

Seems strange to see NY as "doing well" by this R(t) metric for the past 2 weeks.
But it makes sense, the data is trailing, as far as finding out who's infected, and dies.
Social Distancing is working.

#FlattenTheCurve.

No one knows that for sure it's just a guess.

Um, we DO "know for sure" that a percentage of people WILL DIE from this.
While we don't know the exact % - it's NOT zero.

What is an acceptable death toll?

Especially when those deaths were avoidable?

Status
Not open for further replies.