important to remember where shafer left us on defense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

important to remember where shafer left us on defense

Note the score at the time of this was Clemson 35 Syracuse 7 in the 2ND QUARTER it is impossible to claim someone is running the score up in the 2nd quarter.
Shafer was embrassing.
C'mon man. They were up 35-7, it was 4th down with time running out in the half. We hadn't really stopped them all day so it's not like they needed the points. Dabo was sticking it to Shafer. That being said, no professional HC should react the way Shafer did in front of the world.

Why is MTSU being brought up as if they are a bad program? Prior to getting knocked out for most of the season, Brent Stockstill was one of the top rated QBs for the upcoming NFL Draft with a couple of pros at the receiver position. They went 8-5 last season. 6-6 this year with a backup QB for half the year.
MTSU should NEVER come in to the Carrier Dome and beat us. Never.

C'mon man. They were up 35-7, it was 4th down with time running out in the half. We hadn't really stopped them all day so it's not like they needed the points. Dabo was sticking it to Shafer. That being said, no professional HC should react the way Shafer did in front of the world.
So what?
Dabo did nothing wrong .
Shafer was the unprofessional one with that behavior.

I won't argue recruiting. I don't follow it, I don't like to. Too many Baskins, Preasters, etc. I don't pay much attention to guys who aren't on the two-deep yet. I hear the hype with Devito. Just going to say I remember the hype with Arob, Zach Allen, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. I care when it's game time.
Devito is hyped up and I cant wait to see whether or not he’s got it.

What im more excited about though is the 4 star linemen we’re bring in to protect him while he throws to the 4 star receiver we brought in from DC or the high 3 star receivers we won over pier programs and some bigger.

We’re building a foundation not only to be competitive but to win. I know you mentioned you dont like following recruiting but it may be worth silently following along now to get a feel of Dino’s vision.

Why is MTSU being brought up as if they are a bad program? Prior to getting knocked out for most of the season, Brent Stockstill was one of the top rated QBs for the upcoming NFL Draft with a couple of pros at the receiver position. They went 8-5 last season. 6-6 this year with a backup QB for half the year.

Because we shouldn't lose to G5 teams at home, not ever.

I don't think it's supposed to be a we want Shafer back or Dino to go kind of thing. What Orange_in_VA and I are trying to do is open up some eyes. People are still blinded by the Clemson win, but we got freaking rocked at home against BC. Wake scored 35 points on us in a half. This defense is bad. People are making excuses. Do I see flashes? Sure, so did Grob apparently. We played some close games, lucky us. At the end of the day, we got beat by MTSU and both of our supposed 'peer' teams. I'm laughing at the guys saying yup, Addazio got it rolling after 6 years! These are the same guys at the beginning of the year who thought BC would be hiring right now and had that game penciled as a sure win.

Strength of schedule doesn't matter?

So what?
Dabo did nothing wrong .
Shafer was the unprofessional one with that behavior.
I wasn't arguing whether it was professional or not. Dabo was sticking it to Shafer and Shafer reacted like a teenager doing a crotch 'V'. But Dabo WAS running it up. 99% of coaches go the safe route and take the points in that situation. For whatever the reason, Dabo's decision to go for it there felt like a cheap shot and I have no doubts that it was.

Strength of schedule doesn't matter?

I used 3 examples, MTSU, BC, WAKE. We should have beat one handily, and been competitive with the other two. Maybe I'm just not getting the question? While the Wake score doesn't look as bad as BC. Not once during the entire 2nd half of the that game did I feel like we were still going to win. Not one time.

I wasn't arguing whether it was professional or not. Dabo was sticking it to Shafer and Shafer reacted like a teenager doing a crotch 'V'. But Dabo WAS running it up. 99% of coaches go the safe route and take the points in that situation. For whatever the reason, Dabo's decision to go for it there felt like a cheap shot and I have no doubts that it was.
This is nothing more than defending Shafer when he was wrong.
Kicking a FG is perceived as running the score up.
Going for it is perceived as running up the score.
Dabo can’t win. He went for it and Shafer showed how much of a clown he was.

This is nothing more than defending Shafer when he was wrong.
Kicking a FG is perceived as running the score up.
Going for it is perceived as running up the score.
Dabo can’t win. He went for it and Shafer showed how much of a clown he was.
No kicking a FG is perceived as taking the safe points and padding an already incredibly large lead, i.e. the safe route

I used 3 examples, MTSU, BC, WAKE. We should have beat one handily, and been competitive with the other two. Maybe I'm just not getting the question? While the Wake score doesn't look as bad as BC. Not once during the entire 2nd half of the that game did I feel like we were still going to win. Not one time.
I bet you felt the same way about games versus LSU, NC State, Miami and Clemson this year as well.

Babers had bad things happen this year but our fanbase clearly upgraded HCs from the last guy.
Dino has to do better next year though.

No kicking a FG is perceived as taking the safe points and padding an already incredibly large lead, i.e. the safe route
BS.
You show your bias with this response.
It’s the second freaking quarter. Which just shows how uncompetitive we were.

Best response to my point so far. Thank you

I have my moments. ;)

Seriously, I think the defensive flopping and cigar smoking in the MTSU game this year turned a lot of people off towards Shafer. I liked the guy a ton when he was here and I was rooting like hell for him to succeed. I always thought his demeanor was tailor-made for CNY.

But the unfortunate reality is that Shafer's 2nd and 3rd years were expected to essentially be the 6th and 7th years of the Marrone/Shafer era, and it ended up being really terrible years. When you also consider that the AD at that point was not the one who hired him it really was no surprise that he was let go.

I agree with Bayside, Gross probably should have hired Hackett. What can you do?

I have my moments. ;)

Seriously, I think the defensive flopping and cigar smoking in the MTSU game this year turned a lot of people off towards Shafer. I liked the guy a ton when he was here and I was rooting like hell for him to succeed. I always thought his demeanor was tailor-made for CNY.

But the unfortunate reality is that Shafer's 2nd and 3rd years were expected to essentially be the 6th and 7th years of the Marrone/Shafer era, and it ended up being a really terrible year. When you also consider that the AD at that point was not the one who hired him it really was no surprise that he was let go.

I agree with Bayside, Gross probably should have hired Hackett. What can you do?

I really wanted us to somehow keep Shafer and Hackett. Don't think either would have stayed for the other though unfortunately.

The guy is a millionaire who is well respected in his profession and has coached some of the best defenses in school history, but he's an "unhinged moron"?

That is how he acted as head coach, yes. He has a lot of money and he is an excellent defensive coordinator but he acted like an unhinged fool too often.

I really wanted us to somehow keep Shafer and Hackett. Don't think either would have stayed for the other though unfortunately.

Agreed, Gross had to pick one and as they say in Indian Jones & The Last Crusade... he chose poorly.

Honestly, it still pisses me off that Marrone raided our assistants when he left. That totally set Shafer up to fail.

That is how he acted as head coach, yes. He has a lot of money and he is an excellent defensive coordinator but he acted like an unhinged fool too often.
A lot of high paid big time coaches act unhinged. If he had won more it would have been overlooked.

Agreed, Gross had to pick one and as they say in Indian Jones & The Last Crusade... he chose poorly.

Honestly, it still pisses me off that Marrone raided our assistants when he left. That totally set Shafer up to fail.

Definitely agree there. Marrone had the best group of coaches assembled at SU in ages

Here's the thing that I get and other defensive meatheads get. If you keep the score low and close when you are outmanned then you give yourself the luck factor. Shafer kept games close so if you get a bounce your way, i.e. a pick 6(his aggressive defense was designed to confuse QBs and force mistakes), a fumble, a PR for a TD, etc then you might just have a chance.
Fool's gold.

Honestly, I don't think East Carolina should ever beat us either.

And... you're still missing the point about how having a future NFL talent can swing a game like that for the underdog.

And... you're still missing the point about how having a future NFL talent can swing a game like that for the underdog.
No. I'm not. I just think we should have a program of such stature that the MTSU and East carolina's of the world don't ever beat us. maybe they are competitive once in a while. But not beat us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom