Is anyone honestly surprised? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone honestly surprised?

Really? I thought there was a chance. That said, who would want to play on this team right now? It can't be fun.
Beside what others have posted about him ineligible for NIL deals, that he's a senior, that we're lucky he came back this season, and his own body language. Here's what he said last night after the game:
When asked about Senior Day coming up on Saturday, Jesse said he’s excited for his parents and brother to be in attendance, and to “come out one last time” and “have a great last home game.”

Yeah, and it could get even worse than that if Jesse and Mintz don't come back. Then things could r e a l l y get ugly.
And like it or not, Joe not coming back would be the ultimate death blow.

To be successful we’ll have to portal, question is, are we this years version of ND or Pitt?

Lol neither team could throw it in the ocean. But if you want to think we were getting better ok. But all the evidence is against you. A fluky game or two are meaningless. We have been horrible since the start

In regards to your "neither team could throw it in the ocean" remark, at least in the NC State game, I do recall how Dan Bonner commented on a few occasions that State is getting a ton of open looks, getting the shots they want, etc. or along those lines, but State was simply missing them.

Yep, drafted in the 40s and gets a two-way contract. After that ... who knows.
I am going to be interested to see how Judah's game evolves as he plays with better people. He's crafty with the ball in getting his shots but his passing in general needs work, especially on the basic, non-transition pass.

It will also be interesting to see how he defends - steal numbers are helped by the zone in my opinion. It will be interesting to see if he can stay in front of people.

and all those you named minus 3 were traditional transfers which is negated in this.
You're still in the defender bucket. It's clear as day
This year he didn’t use it, last year he did for 3 players.

I never thought defending facts would be so frowned upon. I can be over JB without blatantly disregarding facts contrary to my viewpoint.

In regards to your "neither team could throw it in the ocean" remark, at least in the NC State game, I do recall how Dan Bonner commented on a few occasions that State is getting a ton of open looks, getting the shots they want, etc. or along those lines, but State was simply missing them.
Same with Miami

Yep, drafted in the 40s and gets a two-way contract. After that ... who knows.
Eh, if he's drafted in the 40s he'll get better than a 2 way.

This year he didn’t use it, last year he did for 3 players.

I never thought defending facts would be so frowned upon. I can be over JB without blatantly disregarding facts contrary to my viewpoint.
Right - he brought in his son, his son’s buddy, and a hometown guy who wouldn’t rock the boat. Who also happened to be his son’s buddy. That’s not serious portaling.

Right - he brought in his son, his son’s buddy, and a hometown guy who wouldn’t rock the boat. Who also happened to be his son’s buddy. That’s not serious portaling.
Whatever helps you sleep at night man. maybe you were on the Quincy Ballard boat. He would’ve been a real portal steal for the boys!

Bingo
it's lazy portaling just like lazy recruiting.
I know this for a fact, there was a guard transfer that the assistants were zeroing in on and JB basically steamed rolled them for Symir. Now, I like Symir but there were guard options that were more talented.

Whatever helps you sleep at night man. maybe you were on the Quincy Ballard boat. He would’ve been a real portal steal for the boys!
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here, but for the record, no I didn’t want Quincy Ballard this year either. And us even being involved with his transfer also exhibits unserious portaling.

Miami was good - couldn't close/finish out.
Of course, we couldn't close out a bunch. We weren't a good team all year, never said we were.

Said we were improving, then took a dump as of the Duke game. Didn't think it would be a controversial comment honestly.

Honestly ask yourself..are you really surprised it’s all came to the surface finally?

Basketball as a whole as completely changed since the 2000’s (college, nba etc). It’s a shooting sport now.
We still run a defense that no one runs exclusively in the country…because it’s outdated.
We still run the same “offense” from the 90s and 2000s…it’s outdated.

No one else neglects the transfer portal like we do/have been doing.
No one brings in a 8 man freshmen class of non 5 star players like we did. It’s a recipe for this.

I think it’s all just hit the fan all at once now. I think it’s been masked or “lipstick on a pig” with a great regular season or a crazy run in the tourny in the past.

Just sad to watch and I feel for the players

Surprised, no? It's been a joke that the people who were concerned have been vilified and had their "fandom" in question. BTW, it's still going. If you aren't worried about the attendance figures and still say things like most teams would love to have our bad nights, you are part of the problem.

It's more than basketball being a shooting sport. It's an efficient scoring sport. And, the change to understand what a good strategy is is changing more rapidly than it used to. It's more than just the Steph Curry Effect.

It's not only the defense, it's the blind and total commitment to the defense.

Agree re the offense.

The personnel... I mean, let's be real, it accelerated when he was featuring Buddy. I know he eventually became an All ACC player and I'm not saying he wasn't good, but that focus of a singular player changed things. Add in JGIII, who, I believe, has the most losses as a four year starter out of anyone for JB ever (I may be wrong), and then add in Jimmy for last year's team. Again, not saying these players aren't good, but it fundamentally changed the way we were calibrated and accelerated a program that was showing signs of a systemically-driven downfall.

We currently have one 2023 commit that is a project. We are losing out on Marcus Adams. Who knows who will leave.

This is why that mass exodus of "other" players have hurt so much. Kadary, Woody, Bras, Q, etc. I'm not saying they would be all world, but you need those guys, at least some of them, to stick around.

The final thing, as I've stated, for those still wanting JB to have all the runway in the world, show me what he is doing to change things for the better. New assistants? Nope. Hitting the recruiting trail like his life depended on it? Nope. Figuring out new defensive strategies? Nope. I can go on.

I feel awful for the situation. I hate that it's come to this. JB should be celebrated, but whether it's him, him and his SU admin supporters and booster supporters... whatever it is. Whoever it is. It's become corrupted to the point where an exit upon a successful year is basically impossible.

This is why that mass exodus of "other" players have hurt so much. Kadary, Woody, Bras, Q, etc. I'm not saying they would be all world, but you need those guys, at least some of them, to stick around.

This is precisely why we are where we are. We lacked any of the connective tissue of prior classes, guys who had grown into contributors and knew the system. That's why we've fallen apart.

And like it or not, Joe not coming back would be the ultimate death blow.

To be successful we’ll have to portal, question is, are we this years version of ND or Pitt?

Can’t we just bring in Buffalo and Colgate’s best players and be better than we would otherwise be, at this point?

Cheer up guys, our future coach currently has his team putting up 90+ points in a top 25 matchup on the road. The future is bright.

Jimmy would be our best forward this year and there isn’t a close second.
And we wouldn't be any closer to the tourney than we are now...

We need better players than Jimmy and the lazy forwards we have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom