Is it the seniors, or the staff? | Syracusefan.com

Is it the seniors, or the staff?

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Do the underlying problems begin with the upperclassmen, or the staff outside JB / Hop?

Or is it the schedule?

Do the underlying problems begin with the upperclassmen, or the staff outside JB / Hop?

Or is it the schedule?

Answer: It's the players. The same staff has put very good team on the court.

Next question.

My only staff issue would be if next year, we still dont see a major development from either Rak or DC2. Other teams get top big men and are able to at least work them into the offense. Weve gotten 3 McDonalds AA's in a row at the C position and they look like theyve never played the offensive side of basketball before. Fab made a huge jump on the defensive end and was never given an opportunity to become any kind of threat on offense. Rak never gets an opportunity on offense and well see how DC2 turns out. Since AO and I guess Ricky even though I was never crazy about his offensive game, weve been ridiculously bad at developing a post presence. Ive seen both McGary and Ridley at least look competent on offense this year.

Everybody here defending the staff. No doubt the players have something to do with it but I site the following shortcomings of the staff as well:

1. Stupid cameo starts by DC2 and and failure to let him play through his mistakes early in the season are confidence killers. If he had been given a solid 10 to 15 MPG early on, I believe he would have been somewhat of a force by now even if the pre-season hype would have still left something to be desired.

2. Lack of secondary defenses - yes, the Zone has been consistently good and is not the problem per se, but that doesn't mean man or press (more often) shouldn't be utilized simply to change the tempo in certain games.

3. Lack of player development - only CJ has improved in the course of the season. Major regression from Triche, James, and Jerami. Jerami in particular had found a nice role earlier, but once James came back that role disappeared...why ???? X shows flashes every few games and then reverts, why can't the staff figure out how to get solid consistent play from him.

4. No clue on how to attack zone D's. The staff should be able to figure out how to utilize guys. I don't see Jerami posting low, I don't see guards penetrating & dishing to an open big when they are in the lane. I don't see bigs moving to open spots when the penetrating guard draws the double. I don't see James at the FT line, etc.

5. The bottom line is that we win when we have superior talent, we are mediocre to out and out lousy when the opponents talent level is close to ours - if that isn't the definition of lousy coaching......what is ???

when we were 18 and one, remember the dialogue beween the loyal following and me. it was downright rude and wrong. i said then and i'll repeat now jb basketball is antiquated and works early, but not late. he's down double digits late and is still tavern league. as much as the defense is not state of the art, our offense suffers more because the first time you see decent man its game time. let's hear it for jt 3. he has evolved to a brilliant tactician. i used to be a big hop supporter. it was me that first suggested coaching to him, but he's been here so long, jb s influence has permanently made him damaged goods. i want j wright
and multiple championships. one year with rak and he's top three in the draft.

Or is it the schedule?
The problem is simple. This is not a very good team. It has no consistent shooters. There is no inside post presence. Outside of CJ fair it has no midrange game. And while its point guard is talented he's not a very good player right now. The schedule masked all that. Its a not very good team is playing really good teams and they're getting their butts kicked. I tried to tell people early on this was not a good team. I was ridiculed. Also said at least a month ago that if this team got to the Sweet 16 it would be one of JB's best coaching jobs.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

The play of the players also makes it hard to tell, what, if anything, the coaches are doing.

the offensive strategy is apparently to take a difficult shot after only a few passes. The execution is on the players. The strategy is on the coaches.

Nobody is exempt from criticism.

I say staff.

The player's aren't making shots that they're capable of, but who calls the defense? The substitutions? The overall strategy? Who teaches shot selection? Discipline? If JB's strategy is really to take 20+ three-pointers when we can't shoot, make less then three passes per possession and completely ignore post-play, then the players are doing a great job executing his plan. Maybe he does have a "master plan" for winning games, but I find it extremely hard to believe that the players have not been following the coach's gameplan the past dozen games. If the players are not doing what they're told by the coach for this many games, then JB has completely lost control and should probably just retire.

It's either horrible strategy by the coaches or complete disobedience by the players with no consequences (kind of like the bathrobe incident). Either way, it's on the coaches.

I think it is a combination.
The players, specifically, BT and Dirty need to step up. This has been an unreal display of disgusting basketball that is kind of weird out of seniors.

For coaching, I don't see many options than to ride BT out. I even give them a pass for being in this guard situation because things happen and just last year MCW was the 4th option, it seems really hard to bring in another top option in that scenario. But I am less forgiving with JS. Grant has shown some things. When JS is not hitting maybe try CJs hand from deep with Grant in as the banger type.

For longer term coaching staff configuration, I do not like the current set-up. I hope that GMac can find a promotion outside the organization. He is too redundant to the makeup of the staff. His big taking Cooney under his wings project is so far a huge bust. With limited resources this focus seems at the expense of the bigs, and that would be a hurge mistake IMO.

Our record last 3 yr was off charts. Without a large amount of nba talent. The staff gets pass from me. Sure can u 2nd guess sure but we can't shoot or dribble John wooden would not win with this group.

when we were 18 and one, remember the dialogue beween the loyal following and me. it was downright rude and wrong. i said then and i'll repeat now jb basketball is antiquated and works early, but not late. he's down double digits late and is still tavern league. as much as the defense is not state of the art, our offense suffers more because the first time you see decent man its game time. let's hear it for jt 3. he has evolved to a brilliant tactician. i used to be a big hop supporter. it was me that first suggested coaching to him, but he's been here so long, jb s influence has permanently made him damaged goods. i want j wright

Your absolutely right Igor. Let me personally apologize for each and every member of this forum for failing to recognize your brilliance. I am personally going to nominate you to take JB's place in the HOF... Anyone second that?

Triche and Southerland get exposed for what they are against good teams, which is very average players

The play of the players also makes it hard to tell, what, if anything, the coaches are doing.

the offensive strategy is apparently to take a difficult shot after only a few passes. The execution is on the players. The strategy is on the coaches.

Nobody is exempt from criticism.

Yeah, I think everyone can take part of the blame this year.

The last month has been mystifying.

Glad you were the first to suggest Hop get into coaching.

There's one guy that could turn Rak into a top three NBA draft selection. Unfortunately he is usually tending to more important things like walking on water, multiplying the loaves and fishes or turning water into wine.

Its the players not producing. If you don't put the ball in the hoop you can't win. throw in tons of mental mistakes and bad passes and we have what you see on the court one hot mess.

Maybe Rak can be a lottery pick like Matt Gorman.

I hope Rak transfers. I hope Grant transfers. I hope DC and Cooney transfer, too. These guys are really good players (some of the best), not just relative to others in their class but to all of our current players. They could do great things given the chance and I would rather see them excel somewhere else than be benched here. I just don't think the current SU-Boeheim system is conducive to nurturing or development. With Rak, it seems mostly mental because he's so passive. If he was in a system that highlighted his athleticism, got him involved and allowed him to make mistakes, he could absolutely be a top pick.

How little did Rak play during the regular season last year only to do quite well during the tournament when Boeheim did not have the option to yank him? He was clearly able to play, but Boeheim chose to limit his time. People talk about Fab's ineligibility as the cause of our short run, but I think it's really Rak's limited experience pre-NCAA tournament that really did us in. If he had been playing 20 minutes a game during the Big East (instead of his measly 8.9) we probably could have gotten past THE Ohio State. I feel bad for Rak, such a nice kid.

I hope Rak transfers. I hope Grant transfers. I hope DC and Cooney transfer, too. These guys are really good players (some of the best), not just relative to others in their class but to all of our current players. They could do great things given the chance and I would rather see them excel somewhere else than be benched here.
It is incomparable insight like this that makes coming here such a joy.
Oh Lord

Sometimes
Answer: It's the players. The same staff has put very good team on the court.

Next question.

sometimes different teams are better at different things though. this is when the staff needs to make adjustments. to me we are running the same exact stuff as the past couple years. not saying this is on the staff either. this team just doesn't mesh well. no guard depth, no shooters, etc. This has to be expected these days though. you can't continually lose 1 or 2 under classman a year and expect to continue to reload. you have to expect a down year here and there. we have 10 scholarship players, while everyone else has 13. not sure if it was due to apr, or because after their fr seasons nobody expected fab and dion to leave, so they weren't recruited for. a scorer like waiters is exactly what this team needs.

Its the players not producing. If you don't put the ball in the hoop you can't win. throw in tons of mental mistakes and bad passes and we have what you see on the court one hot mess.
Agree and to add to that, if you aren't hitting from the outside, the defense clogs the middle and CJ has to bust his butt to do what he does----when he gets the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom