Is the ISO DEAD:) | Syracusefan.com

Is the ISO DEAD:)

Is it that, or is it not having kids who can play ISO?

I think some of both. We lacked shooters and we weren’t a very good passing team, and we had a really good ISO player in Battle.

This year we’ve got some shooters and multiple decent-good passers, and while Hughes is pretty good at it he’s not Battle level as an ISO guy.

Looks like the dreaded ISO is long gone!! So good to see off ball screen movement. Cuts solid ball movement!
The ISO is not "gone" in the sense that you are looking at it. It's more that we don't end up in iso situations late in the shoot clock because the PG play, player and ball movement, and passing is so much more effective earlier in the shot clock. There is also a developing semblance of a transition offense.

If JB says so.

I think some of both. We lacked shooters and we weren’t a very good passing team, and we had a really good ISO player in Battle.

This year we’ve got some shooters and multiple decent-good passers, and while Hughes is pretty good at it he’s not Battle level as an ISO guy.

Nope, but he’s better than Battle at everything else.

It’s so nice when everyone on the floor is a threat to score. Being able to get contributions from the 4/5 spot is great. With the shooters we have they will have a ton of open space to work with. If Sidibe can play like this we’ll be a lot better than anticapted. I also think that Virginia game is def an outlier. Prob the worst opponent a young team like us could have chosen for our first game.

We had 25 assists today. It was our 4th consecutive game with at least 18 assists.

Last time we had a stretch of 4 games in a row with at least 18 assists was early December 2012.

Thanks for doing that research, that's the post of the day, quantifying something that a lot of us think we saw.

Tells me everything I need to know.

Hope we don't bog down again against good teams. Girard has been so efficient even while he pushes the envelope, let's take advantage of that and not go conservative. It's obvious that Hughes benefits from playing at that tempo alongside that skill set.

Agreed. Really impressed with his ball handling and passing this year. He’s becoming a really good all around player.

Two straight games where he's been able to drag defenders into the lane with four dribbles and find a big for a lob dunk.

Didn't seem like he could do that effectively last year, but that's all we need Hughes to do to open up the half-court for everyone.

We had 25 assists today. It was our 4th consecutive game with at least 18 assists.

Last time we had a stretch of 4 games in a row with at least 18 assists was early December 2012.
Thanks. that’s great stat find.

We had G, Richardson, Lydon and Cooney on the same squad.
i don't recall those teams being iso heavy. i remember ball screen after ball screen to get the shooters open. and a quick check confirms the seasons 2015-17 were the 3 best assist percentage full-seasons since 2011.

We beat Virginia to make it to the F4 playing ISO ball. It is a tool in the toolbox that a good team needs to have. Bucknell did not attack the zone well which lead to turnovers and transition buckets.

Any coach worth his salt will look at the Virginia tape and pressure our offense and we will need a player/players to ISOLATE and beat their man off the dribble to score or pass. Of course having shooters that have to be guarded makes going one on one easier.

I look forward to seeing how this team handles the pressure they will surely see over the next 5 games.

We beat Virginia to make it to the F4 playing ISO ball. It is a tool in the toolbox that a good team needs to have. Bucknell did not attack the zone well which lead to turnovers and transition buckets.

Any coach worth his salt will look at the Virginia tape and pressure our offense and we will need a player/players to ISOLATE and beat their man off the dribble to score or pass. Of course having shooters that have to be guarded makes going one on one easier.

I look forward to seeing how this team handles the pressure they will surely see over the next 5 games.

The last two National Champions won on shooting and ball movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom