Is this our actual ceiling for the season? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Is this our actual ceiling for the season?

I think if so many here make coaching so easy, start by coaching a rec team, then JV team and work yourselves up to a HS team and then college and in about 20 yrs to Div1..

I think if so many here make coaching so easy, start by coaching a rec team, then JV team and work yourselves up to a HS team and then college and in about 20 yrs to Div1..

Ha - coached kids for 11 years! The worst part was making sure everyone got their minutes while keeping he court balanced.

We are stuck in a loop like we were in Gerry's last two years but we don't have a leader like Gerry. We would have been about the same if not worse without him. It's been 4 years vs just 3 right now. We got some hope with Flynn/Harris and Donte only to be a disappointment and then we proceeded to have one of the most dominant stretches since the 80s. Our performance is Seton Hall/Providence but we aren't there yet as a program. For me next year is my final litmus test as we bring in an elite wing to connect with many other pieces. If we aren't top 15 and competing for a top 3-4 seed then this is far more than a longer lull. I don't count 2016 as if not for the suspension I think we would have been a ranked team all year.

Again I know you are consistent I just then you are way too far in the dumps with this group. We need practices, a healthy C and a conditioned team.
Gerry went to the NCAAT every season.
Only his senior year did we struggle and that Big East was insanely deep had a lot to do with it.
UConn and Villanova were 1-2 in the nation for a good portion of that season.

Their was talent on that GMac 2006 team. Eric Devendorf, Demetrius Nichols, Daryl Watkins.

All three of those players are better or on par with Guerrier on our roster now.

I would take Devo over Buddy or Joe.
Devo sucked defensively as well but he shoots better than Joe and he ball handles and passes better than Buddy.

The only thing I am doing is asking are we still the Syracuse program or is it name only.

Comments like this started something for me I am not going to touch again.

If you think this why are you posting in this thread. There are plenty of others. This statement brings nothing to address legitimate points raised.

Only his senior year did we struggle and that Big East was insanely deep had a lot to do with it.

Their was talent on that GMac 2006 team. Eric Devendorf, Demetrius Nichols, Daryl Watkins.

All three of those players are better or on par with Guerrier on our roster now.

Devo sucked defensively as well but he shoots better than Joe and he ball handles and passes better than Buddy.

The only thing I am doing is asking are we still the Syracuse program or is it name only.

Still think next year is shaping up to be really good. You never quite know who will be here next year, in college hoops now.

But if we’ve got Kadary, Griffin, Benny, Quincy, and Woody...that’s guys with Syracuse level athleticism and size who can actually score(unlike the Howard-Brissett years)

Throw in Buddy and Joe. If a center emerges to just be decent, we look pretty loaded.

lol...one of those guards was the 4th pick in the draft. One was a 5th year senior. The other was Triche.

Not even close to comparable to Buddy and Joe.

Yeah, this is always the easy comparison, but those were multi-dimensional guards (we discount that too much) that we used to roast for their lack of long range shooting at times. And I'm guessing they shot about the same as the current ones that get most of their credit based upon their prowess from deep.

It's not a good comparison.

Why through all these posts Woody was mentioned so few times ? Is he hurt ?

Something with Covid, I believe. He wasn’t available for the game.

Yeah, I think JB mentioned he's only had limited practices since we started up. Although I'd imagine he'd been practicing since the Pitt game since he got limited run in that one. Not sure though.

I was ok with JB riding Joe last night since he played well for the most part, although Kadary should've gotten a little run in the 2nd half. The Pitt game is where we need to make a change especially since we were trying to protect a big lead in the 2nd half.

the only points I hear are from the vast majority of people who dont know much about coaching bball.. At least in the fball side we have 5-10 ex players/coaches.

who we play most of the time isnt the issue. the 5 best players are on the court most of the time.. Would I like to see a bit more subbing at times, yup.. We didnt lose the Pitt game because joe or buddy played too much though..

Rebound the stupid ball. its not zone or man, its desire..

this team could be 4-4 or 8-0 but 6-2 isnt good enough.. without the starts and stops we are 7-1 at worst..

We are not a top 10 team talent wise so dont expect it on the court..

Our ceiling is to grind our way into the tournament and try to be the plucky team that makes shots and wins a few games.
We aren’t winning a NC with this roster.
Neither are 360 other teams.Winning a few games in tournament would mean sweet sixteen and I’d take that and claim a successful year.

the only points I hear are from the vast majority of people who dont know much about coaching bball.. At least in the fball side we have 5-10 ex players/coaches.

who we play most of the time isnt the issue. the 5 best players are on the court most of the time.. Would I like to see a bit more subbing at times, yup.. We didnt lose the Pitt game because joe or buddy played too much though..

this team could be 4-4 or 8-0 but 6-2 isnt good enough.. without the starts and stops we are 7-1 at worst..

Nobody expects top 10.
Syracuse hasn’t played a game as a top 25 team after January of any season since 2014. That is 6 full seasons ago.
If we should just expect to be Providence till JB retires I will accept that. The fanbase needs to accept that.

I don't think it's fair to compare past and present players so I more look at results than talent. The game has changed a lot to be so much more focused on the 3 ball. Those teams defended the rim better. That said Gerry was the heart and soul of those teams. We do not make the tourney without him. Last year could have been an ACC tourney run after dominating UNC and Sid playing his best ever. That could have had us avoided another NCAA miss after having 2015/2017.

06-07 and 07-08 we missed the tourney b2b. Shorter timeframe than current downward trend. Gerry got us into the tourney in 05-06 with that amazing run. Those were 3 straight years of weak regular seasons. Again performance wise it's the closest comparison. Performance is what we want. Talent is sometimes the catalyst for that but then again those 3 teams had more talent as you say which I don't want to debate but it's a fair claim. The AW3 team had way more talent than a 17-14 team too and honestly so did 17-18 and 18-19 for their records. I think that we are in a post Hop swoon. I don't think it's time to throw in the towel in program status but next year is for me key to whether we break out of it. If not for CoVid I had more optimism for this year.

Yup.. And all it would have taken is probably not losing to Pitt. we are a 25-40 type team and have been for awhile. That I agree with. Moving the player around on the chess board isnt changing that.. Rebounding and making some wide open shots will.

Nobody expects top 10.
Syracuse hasn’t played a game as a top 25 team after January of any season since 2014. That is 6 full seasons ago.
If we should just expect to be Providence till JB retires I will accept that. The fanbase needs to accept that.

2016 without the suspension I would argue breaks that up. That team was a top 20 or better team that didn't have the record to pair with. They came out blazing in the Bahamas plus some very good in conference wins.

I don't think it's fair to compare past and present players so I more look at results than talent. The game has changed a lot to be so much more focused on the 3 ball. Those teams defended the rim better. That said Gerry was the heart and soul of those teams. We do not make the tourney without him. Last year could have been an ACC tourney run after dominating UNC and Sid playing his best ever. That could have had us avoided another NCAA miss after having 2015/2017.

06-07 and 07-08 we missed the tourney b2b. Shorter timeframe than current downward trend. Gerry got us into the tourney in 05-06 with that amazing run. Those were 3 straight years of weak regular seasons. Again performance wise it's the closest comparison. Performance is what we want. Talent is sometimes the catalyst for that but then again those 3 teams had more talent as you say which I don't want to debate but it's a fair claim. The AW3 team had way more talent than a 17-14 team too and honestly so did 17-18 and 18-19 for their records. I think that we are in a post Hop swoon. I don't think it's time to throw in the towel in program status but next year is for me key to whether we break out of it. If not for CoVid I had more optimism for this year.
We got in the tournament GMac’s senior year when we beat Cincinnati.
That was a rubber match play in game.
The GMac run got us a 5 seed.

The 06-07 and 07-08 teams barely missed the tournament and with a 68 team field like now both make it.
The 06-07 team got screwed. We played bad tomato cans that killed our computer numbers. JB fixed that.

07-08 makes the tournament if an under .500 Georgia doesn’t go on an insane run in the SEC tournament and steal a bid.

Those teams also had more talent than our team now.
Covid has screwed us because it has given everyone a free year.
I am sorry but I am a realist not an idealist.

you have zero idea who has or hasn’t coached. Maybe you haven’t and you think that’s the whole board.

We got in the tournament GMac’s senior year when we beat Cincinnati.
That was a rubber match play in game.
The GMac run got us a 5 seed.

a completely unjustified 5 seed. You don't go from bubble to top 20 team in 4 days. Vegas knew that SU was way overseeded as they were dogs vs. #12 seed Texas A&M.

nope no idea.. I have asked it several times.. the fball board its pretty well known, the bball board not so much.. I know there are some refs on here though.

2016 without the suspension I would argue breaks that up. That team was a top 20 or better team that didn't have the record to pair with. They came out blazing in the Bahamas plus some very good in conference wins.

Yes. That was the Boeheim 9 game suspension season. Other than that stretch, we played pretty good ball. Even the end of the regular season when we were losing...they were tight games against a really tough stretch of the schedule.

I think this years team is a solid tourney type team too, but they’ve faced significant disruptions too that have hurt the development. So have many other teams, but as far as I can tell it’s hit us harder than most so far.

Ha - coached kids for 11 years! The worst part was making sure everyone got their minutes while keeping he court balanced.

I coached kids basketball for only 1 year. It was so much fun. 5th and 6th graders. We made the championship game, but - to your point - we sat our best PG for the 1st quarter so we would have her for the last 3 quarters of the game (there was a requirement that every kid must sit out at least 1 of 4 quarters ...), and we fell into a huge hole to start the game, as our back-up PG made turnover after turnover.
We mounted the expected big comeback but fell short.

It was my daughter's only year of organized sports, and she cried when they lost. So she "got it" in terms of "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". Great experience, lots of fun. Then she turned her attention to art, and that was it. And she has a runner-up trophy to remember the experience.

Pretty much all of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom