Is this our actual ceiling for the season? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Is this our actual ceiling for the season?

i thought at the very least we would of been damn near lights out from deep but of course that hasnt come to fruition. The good thing about shooting slumps is that u can break them so we shall see but we absolutely have to have one of the centers play and step up or its another mediocore year at best!

A group here will never admit that Joe, and Buddy can both possibly play well in the same game. They must sit more! We have the next Pearl on the bench! The next Pearl, I tell ya!

Playing well and shooting well are different. Like, AG can shoot poorly and still be impactful. The other two MUST hit shots to be moderately impactful, and even then it's more about are they offsetting some of their other inadequacies. Not ideal for guards logging this many minutes.

Kadary’s assist come from driving and kicking. His whole offense comes from driving. When we play the big boys who know he can’t shoot, will he get in the paint to be able to score and pass? I’m doubtful but maybe he will. He’ll get short runs to prove it and longer/more runs if he does prove it.

When the big boys play pressure defense our current guards wilt...quickly. JG spends more time dribbling backwards than forward (see Rutgers), and BB resorts to backing people into the lane and that fadeaway as the threes clank. We should stop defaulting to them just so we can eek out wins against the little boys - assuming we win.

Moar Kadary no matter the game! :)

Which isn't to imply they aren't good, they're fine, but ensuring our continued reliance on them whenever we get scared seems short-sighted. We need morez.

I think that a game like tonight (6 mins for Kadary, all in the first half) will be the exception, when we look back at the end of the year. Joe and Buddy both played well, and we got the W, which is the most important thing.

I also think it’s notable that a guy who was out of the rotation altogether 2 games ago (Braswell) got 17 minutes tonight, including during crunch time. Kadary just needs to keep his head up, keep working hard... I think he’ll get plenty of minutes going forward.
Hope you’re right.

I have to assume that Joe hits a high percentage of long range shots during practice which is why the staff lets him take those shots during games. They want him to get the confidence to take and hit those shots during games which would be huge during ACC play where driving to the rim is not an easy task.
Dumb post. Joe has terrible shot selection. It’s patently obvious to everyone watching including analysts like Greenberg.

Dumb post. Joe has terrible shot selection. It’s patently obvious to everyone watching including analysts like Greenberg.
And yet he has the green light. You must have a very low opinion of the coaching staff, which is a recurring theme here among all you hall of fame coaches.

Not tonight. But some nights the offense flows better, and we take fewer awful shots when Richmond is out there handling the ball. Girard can't get by anybody on the dribble. It's a bit limiting for a point guard.

Some nights, yes. My post was in response to a post about 19 minutes not being enough for Kadary against Pitt. JG and Buddy didn’t play well in that game and I was pointing out Kadary didn’t play well either.

I think we have to be ok with throwing this year out of the evaluation pool given CoVid. That doesn't mean we forget the problems that plagued the previous post Hop seasons. We just don't have anything to work with besides a thrown together season with multiple pauses, guys out for injury or quarantine. Hell even if we tear off 8 wins in a row I will enjoy it but I'm also not staking it as a turnaround.
This ignores the fact we have no guard recruits and expecting things to change next season.
At best we can hope Kadary gets more minutes but that involves having faith. I will believe it when I see it.

The trajectory of the program is playing players who aren’t superstars superstar minutes because we are trying to win the game when sorry that doesn’t apply with a talent like Kadary Richmond sitting on the bench.

Some nights, yes. My post was in response to a post about 19 minutes not being enough for Kadary against Pitt. JG and Buddy didn’t play well in that game and I was pointing out Kadary didn’t play well either.
We were protecting a lead against Pitt.
Logic would tell you play your best defensive lineup in that situation.
We didn’t.
Why?

We were ahead of Pitt the entire game till the last 7 seconds and never brought Kadary in for defense.
Again why?

This ignores the fact we have no guard recruits and expecting things to change next season.
At best we can hope Kadary gets more minutes but that involves having faith. I will believe it when I see it.

The trajectory of the program is playing players who aren’t superstars superstar minutes because we are trying to win the game when sorry that doesn’t apply with a talent like Kadary Richmond sitting on the bench.

It's not ignoring it. Its more focused on the fact I think Kadary is truly still working his way into things and be it either conditioning or an ailment has been minutes capped by his own doing. He is really struggling getting back in transition right now if you watch the games. I'm not sure why but it's very evident he is one of the last guys back. When whatever is slowing him down passes it would be egregious if he didn't get back to 25 plus a game. Last night more minutes for him would not have changed a thing which also was clear rewatching it. We aren't going to recruit over our guards with a 2021 class. It was always 2022. Recruiting over then could put us in a worse position than we are now. Let's hope it's more practices needed and we get back to a lot more of Richmond where he is really effective.

There is more to it than just Kadary is a better talent. I think you would be disappointed in the results if he played 35 a game right now.. Even 30. Just as disappointed as with 19 or 6.

It's not ignoring it. Its more focused on the fact I think Kadary is truly still working his way into things and be it either conditioning or an ailment has been minutes capped by his own doing. He is really struggling getting back in transition right now if you watch the games. I'm not sure why but it's very evident he is one of the last guys back. When whatever is slowing him down passes it would be egregious if he didn't get back to 25 plus a game. Last night more minutes for him would not have changed a thing which also was clear rewatching it. We aren't going to recruit over our guards with a 2021 class. It was always 2022. Recruiting over then could put us in a worse position than we are now. Let's hope it's more practices needed and we get back to a lot more of Richmond where he is really effective.

There is more to it than just Kadary is a better talent. I think you would be disappointed in the results if he played 35 a game right now.. Even 30. Just as disappointed as with 19 or 6.
We lost our top 2022 SG target Roddy Gayle to Ohio State.

If Buddy Boeheim was unavailable like he was in December due to Covid you know Kadary would be playing 35 MPG.

The only reason Kadary isn’t playing a lot of minutes is Buddy and JG3 being available.
If Buddy and JG3 were superstars that wouldn’t be an issue. They are an average ACC backcourt we play like they are a top tier backcourt.

Our team would get rolled by good college basketball teams.
We have played 1 tournament team this season and played well but lost.
We wouldn’t make the tournament right now and our conference isn’t going to give us a lot of top games.

We didn’t.
Why?

We were ahead of Pitt the entire game till the last 7 seconds and never brought Kadary in for defense.
Again why?

Because when you’re protecting a lead (which doesn’t necessitate going with a defensive lineup because you still need to score), it’s not crazy to go with the experienced players.

Because when you’re protecting a lead (which doesn’t necessitate going with a defensive lineup because you still need to score), it’s not crazy to go with the experienced players.
Experienced players that weren’t shooting well.
So you play 1 or 2 year more experienced inferior defensive players over a freshman better defender.
Yeah that makes sense.
Why are you defending the Pitt performance which was terrible coaching.

We lost our top 2022 SG target Roddy Gayle to Ohio State.

If Buddy Boeheim was unavailable like he was in December due to Covid you know Kadary would be playing 35 MPG.

The only reason Kadary isn’t playing a lot of minutes is Buddy and JG3 being available.
If Buddy and JG3 were superstars that wouldn’t be an issue. They are an average ACC backcourt we play like they are a top tier backcourt.

Our team would get rolled by good college basketball teams.
We have played 1 tournament team this season and played well but lost.
We wouldn’t make the tournament right now and our conference isn’t going to give us a lot of top games.

I'm not saying this to be a dick as a disclaimer but it may benefit you to take a break from SU Hoops. I myself have done it a few times. I think you are way too down the doom and gloom rabbit hole. I am nit a JB ring kisser but Kadary getting fewer minutes appears more than what you say. I would wager 100 that if KR played 30 a game we would have more losses. Not because Joe and Buddy are better but because we need 3 guards and not just force-feeding the talented frosh. He is really talented but he isn't ready to be the guy on both ends. I don't know how you can't see it unless you are just so fed up with JB and the program you need a break. I've been there and it ain't helping anything.

Gayle was still 2022. We need to land Quadir. We aren't bottom of the barrell. We have had more pauses and missed more practices than almost any other P5/BE team. There is way too much cynicism around a screwed up year with no continuity. No hate nothing personal just saying I think you sound so boiled over and fed up that besides the team doing exactly what you think they should nothing would suffice.

I'm not saying this to be a dick as a disclaimer but it may benefit you to take a break from SU Hoops. I myself have done it a few times. I think you are way too down the doom and gloom rabbit hole. I am nit a JB ring kisser but Kadary getting fewer minutes appears more than what you say. I would wager 100 that if KR played 30 a game we would have more losses. Not because Joe and Buddy are better but because we need 3 guards and not just force-feeding the talented frosh. He is really talented but he isn't ready to be the guy on both ends. I don't know how you can't see it unless you are just so fed up with JB and the program you need a break. I've been there and it ain't helping anything.

Gayle was still 2022. We need to land Quadir. We aren't bottom of the barrell. We have had more pauses and missed more practices than almost any other P5/BE team. There is way too much cynicism around a screwed up year with no continuity. No hate nothing personal just saying I think you sound so boiled over and fed up that besides the team doing exactly what you think they should nothing would suffice.
They don’t need to do what I think.
The HC has to show their is a reason to believe it will change.
Also I have said if we as a fanbase have to accept lower expectations I will. We need to stop pretending we are an elite program then.
If we are going to be plucky team we are then fine.
We are Providence or Seton Hall as a program.

I am consistent.

Experienced players that weren’t shooting well.
So you play 1 or 2 year more experienced inferior defensive players over a freshman better defender.
Yeah that makes sense.
Why are you defending the Pitt performance which was terrible coaching.

Pitt won because the average weight of our post players without Q and Sid is 140 lbs.

They don’t need to do what I think.
The HC has to show their is a reason to believe it will change.
Also I have said if we as a fanbase have to accept lower expectations I will. We need to stop pretending we are an elite program then.
If we are going to be plucky team we are then fine.
We are Providence or Seton Hall as a program.

I am consistent.

We are stuck in a loop like we were in Gerry's last two years but we don't have a leader like Gerry. We would have been about the same if not worse without him. It's been 4 years vs just 3 right now. We got some hope with Flynn/Harris and Donte only to be a disappointment and then we proceeded to have one of the most dominant stretches since the 80s. Our performance is Seton Hall/Providence but we aren't there yet as a program. For me next year is my final litmus test as we bring in an elite wing to connect with many other pieces. If we aren't top 15 and competing for a top 3-4 seed then this is far more than a longer lull. I don't count 2016 as if not for the suspension I think we would have been a ranked team all year.

Again I know you are consistent I just then you are way too far in the dumps with this group. We need practices, a healthy C and a conditioned team.

MCW sat on the bench a whole bunch of games as guards who never went on to play in the NBA got 35+ minutes. That ended up working out okay.
All due respect, but you can’t keep bringing up this point w/ MCW & Dion, w/out bothering to mention who was playing ahead of them.
Buddy & JG3 are not in the same stratosphere as Triche, Scoop et al, so much so that KR would have to rightfully wait his turn.
It’s totally beside the point. The guys getting 36 mins a game simply shouldn’t be. Now granted its early, so we’ll see how things stand by year’s end. It’s JB’s track record vis-a-vis bench development that I’m most worried about.

Last edited:
We didn’t.
Why?

Again why?

Foul shooting. You'd rather have Joe shoot em than Kadary. Giving away that lead was bad, but Pitt took a lousy end of game shot, we just didn't rebound. That's not on the guards.

lol...one of those guards was the 4th pick in the draft. One was a 5th year senior. The other was Triche.

Not even close to comparable to Buddy and Joe.

Buddy and Joe can't get the hell out of town fast enough. Time to start Kadary and Griffin when Did comes back. 10 mpg for Joe and 15 mpg for Buddy. Unless Woody is hot then we go with Woody first before Buddy because he actually defends and rebounds. Sid/Q/Marek/Griff and Richmond for most minutes. Woody and Bras first off bench most nights. Run it that way and watch us win 10 straight. Whose with me??!

Foul shooting. You'd rather have Joe shoot em than Kadary. Giving away that lead was bad, but Pitt took a lousy end of game shot, we just didn't rebound. That's not on the guards.

Eh. Kadary is 74%. Good enough. If he played the last 5 minutes, I think we win easily. Joe was horrible all game, and came right in and helped chuck us into a loss. If it got to a point where we were inbounding and Pitt was in foul to stop the clock mode, then put him in.

Buddy and Joe can't get the hell out of town fast enough. Time to start Kadary and Griffin when Did comes back. 10 mpg for Joe and 15 mpg for Buddy. Unless Woody is hot then we go with Woody first before Buddy because he actually defends and rebounds. Sid/Q/Marek/Griff and Richmond for most minutes. Woody and Bras first off bench most nights. Run it that way and watch us win 10 straight. Whose with me??!

Joe should be playing 10-15 mpg unless he’s hot(which he’s been maybe twice this year? Maybe 3 times?

No idea where all the rest of that nonsense came from. Not from me.

Kadary is better than Joe.

Eh. Kadary is 74%. Good enough. If he played the last 5 minutes, I think we win easily. Joe was horrible all game, and came right in and helped chuck us into a loss. If it got to a point where we were inbounding and Pitt was in foul to stop the clock mode, then put him in.

I can agree with that.

Perfectly stated.
How about the possession we were up 1 before Pitt took the lead.
We should have put the best defensive lineup there and we didn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom