Is this real?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this real??

I don't know why we can't just stick with "a lot of black people use the word, but white people shouldn't" and leave it at that.

Not on a live mic. Hopefully this brings that word to a forefront.

There are way too many white kids allowed to say it until they can't say it and then their life is ruined.

And the incredible part to me - is it happened AT SYRACUSE!! and you guys want to defend a kid from UK and basically demonize her (or at least allow the school to demonize her with out this defending). Just EMBARRASSING.

But it'd be a white dude saying it about a black dude. In that case, yes, it's obviously racist. In this case, it's a black dude saying it about an opponent who happens to be white. It's a staggeringly common term used by the young black population. You don't have to like that, but it's a little foolish to think this was racially motivated.

If a white guy can't say something that a black guy can, that pretty much defines racism. Which I think is the overall point. I don't think what was said was racist...I think our country and culture is irreparably f**ked up.

There are way too many white kids allowed to say it until they can't say it and then their life is ruined.

And the incredible part to me - is it happened AT SYRACUSE!! and you guys want to defend a kid from UK and basically demonize her (or at least allow the school to demonize her with out this defending). Just EMBARRASSING.
Who the hell is defending him? All I'm saying is that I don't think it had anything to do with race, in the way Harrison was using it. It was hatefully used. yes. He's a punk who used an awful word to attack an opponent. How on earth does saying this get construed as defending him?

Nobody should use it.

Agreed, that is my feeling as well. Though that's a lost battle at this point.

But a lot of black people do say it,(and amazingly, so do a lot,of other races now) and as far as I'm concerned that's a black people issue. Frankly, I really don't care. Doesn't affect me.

I certainly don't buy some "if blacks can say it, so can whites". It's not the same.

If a white guy can't say something that a black guy can, that pretty much defines racism. Which I think is the overall point. I don't think what was said was racist...I think our country and culture is irreparably f**ked up.

I'm just gonna go bang my head against a wall repeatedly and come back when this thread hopefully dies a well deserved death.

I agree with this. There are unfortunate double standards. I'm getting the feeling that people (myself included) are arguing different points here.

Don't really see what's difficult...if you're white, just don't say the word regardless. Why is that hard?

She caused her own problems. She really leaned into it too when she said it.

Don't really see what's difficult...if you're white, just don't say the word regardless. Why is that hard?

She caused her own problems. She really leaned into it too when she said it.

But jekelish said intent had something to do with it? i guess not.

But jekelish said intent had something to do with it? i guess not.

You're misinterpreting. If you're white, your intent was obviously racist, you are an evil person, and your career should be ended over it. If you're black, it's a cultural thing and there was never any bad intent. It's just a word.

See - intent matters! Just not in a way a person who understands logic and reason would support, but in America 2015...here we are!

Welcome to the world of newspeak and thought crimes, we're living in Orwell's dystopia...

You're misinterpreting. If you're white, your intent was obviously racist, you are an evil person, and your career should be ended over it. If you're black, it's a cultural thing and there was never any bad intent. It's just a word.

See - intent matters! Just not in a way a person who understands logic and reason would support, but in America 2015...here we are!

Welcome to the world of newspeak and thought crimes, we're living in Orwell's dystopia...

Given, you know, HISTORY, I'm struggling to find an example of how a white person could use the word and have it not be interpreted as racist in intent?

Again, I'm a fan of common sense here. Just don't say it, it's not that hard.

Reactions: CIL
Given, you know, HISTORY, I'm struggling to find an example of how a white person could use the word and have it not be interpreted as racist in intent?

I believe CusefanATL made the case already of disparate treatment. You just are too dense to get it. Sorry, that's on you not me.

Nobody should say it OR everyone can say it...no "it's OK for blacks but not whites" BS which is where we're at culturally right now.

I wish I never had to hear it either, but I hear white kids say it to other white kids all the time, with no apparent historical context of why it would be offensive. And some are just repeating what they have heard from black kids they genuinely admire.

I believe CusefanATL made the case already of disparate treatment. You just are too dense to get it. Sorry, that's on you not me.

Nobody should say it OR everyone can say it...no "it's OK for blacks but not whites" BS which is where we're at culturally right now.
I agree with this, a logical statement.

Regardless of the intent or whether it has a racial component inherently INTENDED within it, It was an inappropriate and classless utterance. If those kids choose to go to Kentucky and enjoy all of the attendant praise, attention, and adulation throughout the season, they should be able to handle being taken to task for poor unsportsmanlike behavior as well.

Stop/ Do you all really believe that it will have any impact on Harrison's draft status. Does the NBA really care what a kid says or rather their potential to play basketball. How many dreamers really believe that NBA players are such great models!! ummmpf. Along with that little message both Harrison's and willy-stein (sp?) chose not to shake hands after the game. They teach those UK kids great sportsmanship!!

Whitesplainin'

Wait a second, is this dude trolling, or did somebody in this thread actually make such a moronic response to a legitimate point? What the hell does "whitesplainin'" even mean?

Given how common it is for suburban white kids to use the word as a slang term, I'd say you are incredibly out of touch with very recent history making comments like this. Anybody who was a child of the 1990s or especially the 2000s grew up hearing this term primarily as a slang term, not as a racial slur. The only people who would interpret a white person using the same word, with the same lettering (ending with an "a" vs an "er" does make a difference) and in the same context was a racist would either have to be 60 years old and totally out of touch or one of these hyper sensitive social justice warrior types.

These guys grow up in a culture where the best jumps higher, dunks harder, crosses his man over and makes him look like a fool, swats the ball into the 5th row, etc. Kamisnky does none of that. Many of his releases are from below the rim. He's like a junk ball pitcher in baseball.
These guys just had the dream of a Historic season end abruptly and were in shock. He said something to his teammates that he did not expect others to hear.
I for one, cut him some slack.

Last edited:
This is why i cant even watch two programs right now- uk and duk. Its because of the double standards, esp after SUs ncaa sanctions. Nothing will happen to uk or harrison because of this ridiculous embarrassing inexcusable statement. Would SU or most other schools be so lucky? There are two programs that are untouchable right now- uk and duk imo. It still bothers me what happened w Sulamon this year and the way duk dealt w it. Again if SU or another school had been involved in this type of situation , would they walk away unscathed? Duk probably will. If lance thomas had done what he did at SU , again, would SU have been unscathed? I seriously doubt it. And i dont necessarily blame K or Cal, maybe its just ncaa favoritism or media favoritism, but there are some untouchable programs right now and obviously SU is not close to one of them. Very disappointing

Huh?

When something like this happens, it just reinforces my belief that the world is a screwed up place.

P.S. Sorry GoSU96. Didn't mean to reply to your post. My thought is solely about what Andrew Harrison said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom