Is this real?? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is this real??

I don't think it's racist because like numerous people have said, Harrison is clearly black and Kaminsky is clearly not, so it's a derogatory statement, but not racist.

However, it is a double standard because the equivalent would be Kaminsky saying " cracker" about Harrison on a hot mic, and while not making much sense, you know that would not go over well. People would somehow make it racist like Kaminsky thinks Harrison is an Uncle Tom.

Best things I've read on this:

"Imagine if it was the other way around, and Aaron said this instead of Andrew"

It obviously wasn't meant to be a racist remark the way it was used. I'm just glad no one ever put me in front of the national media when I was 19 years old during one of the most emotional moments of my life. Was it a huge mistake? Yes. Will he have to address it eventually? Yes. But seriously, give the kid a break it's a generic vulgar comment he made without thinking, let's not pretend that he went on a Mel Gibson-esque tirade last night.

I am wondering why the losing team's players need to be there for a press conference anyway. I look at other college sports and realize that the NCAA has created an atmosphere for this to happen. The FCC should fine the NCAA for this to be allowed. They (NCAA) sit fat and happy watching the revenue pour in while taking advantage of college kid's emotions and skills.

Well, I do disagree about there being any racial component in this instance. It's a racial slur, but in this particular case, there was pretty obviously nothing to do with race in its use.

Because the intent is dramatically different. And in the way Harrison was using it, it's basically like saying "m*****f*****."

Who decides intent? The color of someone's skin is not a measure of intent. It should've been considered that the white soccer player was dating a black man, who she probably heard say that word many, many times to the point she herself became so comfortable with it and used it in a purely reflexive manner no different than any other curse word we all mutter at times.

Quite frankly, I do not think what he said was all that horrible either, considering the circumstance, it was a momentarily lapse of good judgment by a young man who just lost a huge game. I also do not think it was such a big deal when the girl said it either, she was made out to be the devil purely based on her skin color. She was not given any benefit of the doubt nor does it appear that anyone associated with the program, the coaching staff in particular, was willing to vouch for her. Those who knew her true character beyond a single moment caught on video should have been willing to defend her.

We should be willing to look beyond the superficial into the deeper details regarding two instances where young people made mistakes in a very public manner.

This entire notion that the depth of pigmentation of someone's skin defines intent is PC garbage.

I believe CusefanATL made the case already of disparate treatment. You just are too dense to get it. Sorry, that's on you not me.

Nobody should say it OR everyone can say it...no "it's OK for blacks but not whites" BS which is where we're at culturally right now.

Saying that word might literally be the only thing white people can't get away with in this country. And if you're so dense as to be unable to see the difference between a black person using a word that whites had used to objectify and degrade blacks for centuries versus a white person saying it, than I don't know what to tell you. It may be a double standard, but it is such a ridiculously low double standard that it boggles the mind that anyone would be upset over it.

I've gone my entire life without saying it. My quality of life has not been affected one bit. If you feel the need to say it then go for it. I encourage you to use it at work and in your daily parlance. Just don't be surprised or cry REVERSE RACISM over the consequences.

My mind is literally shocked right now with the racist vile he just spewed. This is incredible. His career is done.

I almost feel bad for him that his career ended with a live mic.
Nope. The double standard will apply. Blacks can't be racist. Blacks can use words with impunity. He will be hailed by the race mongers as a hero and truth speaker.

I didn't say it was racially motivated, I should have elaborated more but it's ignorant for anybody to say, black, white, asian, latin, purple, green whatever. I just want to know why it's ok for the Harrison kid to call Kaminski that word but if Kaminski said it the world would have ended. Please tell me what Harrison meant when he said it if it wasn't meant to be harmful.
So, is that now the standard for all people when the word is used. I would be good with that.

You know what I love about this? The word is losing its meaning...its losing its "power to hurt" and that's a really really good thing.

Nope. The double standard will apply. Blacks can't be racist. Blacks can use words with impunity. He will be hailed by the race mongers as a hero and truth speaker.

Please, show me one person who has hailed him as a hero. The kid is an idiot and a punk and I hope this reflects poorly on Kentucky and Cal long term. But how the hell is a black man who plays basketball in an arena named after a true racist and for a white man a racist?

It's always interesting to see how many white people desperately want to use the word "n*****."

It's the cover-up that gets everyone.

He should just man up and say it in the open next time.

It may be a double standard, but it is such a ridiculously low double standard that it boggles the mind that anyone would be upset over it.
I've gone my entire life without saying it. My quality of life has not been affected one bit..

How about a young white person who chooses to date / hang out with black people who use it in everyday speech no different then the host of other superlatives many in the younger generation use to sound hip and cool. What if this person uses this word around others outside their normal circle of friends who have not bestowed upon them the license for use.

Should they be skewered in the court of public opinion, treated as a pariah, sent to be sacrificed for the greater good. The very utterance of the word making them on par with a card carrying member of the klan.

Such Ivory Tower sentiments such as "well I never said that word in my entire life and no white person ever should" does not encompass reality.

Fact is, white people and black people socialize with one another. When black people use this word, one which is supposedly so toxic to them, in such a prevalent and casual manner they simply cannot justify destroying every white person that gets caught publically uttering it.

If it is such a horrible word - nobody should use it, black folks included.

How about a young white person who chooses to date / hang out with black people who use it in everyday speech no different then the host of other superlatives many in the younger generation use to sound hip and cool. What if this person uses this word around others outside their normal circle of friends who have not bestowed upon them the license for use.

Should they be skewered in the court of public opinion, treated as a pariah, sent to be sacrificed for the greater good. The very utterance of the word making them on par with a card carrying member of the klan.

Such Ivory Tower sentiments such as "well I never said that word in my entire life and no white person ever should" does not encompass reality.

Fact is, white people and black people socialize with one another. When black people use this word, one which is supposedly so toxic to them, in such a prevalent and casual manner they simply cannot justify destroying every white person that gets caught publically uttering it.

If it is such a horrible word - nobody should use it, black folks included.
Wait, so Riley Cooper didn't actually want to fight "every n****" at that concert? You mean the fact he's friends with black people and is around that environment where the word is probably uttered 500x a day possibly changes the perception that he's a Grand Wizard who wants to lynch anyone who isn't a WASP?

Yea, you're probably right. The race wars over this word are annoying. I don't say it, but it's pretty easy tell the intent of how it's used, and if it's not used in an explicitly racist tone (even when by a white guy) it shouldn't be this national debate every friggin time.

Stop/ Do you all really believe that it will have any impact on Harrison's draft status. Does the NBA really care what a kid says or rather their potential to play basketball. How many dreamers really believe that NBA players are such great models!! ummmpf. Along with that little message both Harrison's and willy-stein (sp?) chose not to shake hands after the game. They teach those UK kids great sportsmanship!!

No, i don't honestly believe its going to impact his 2nd round status... the main point though was that if Kaminski said it, it would effect his draft status.

To make it a little easier to visualize - Devendorf was a little more culturally diverse in that way than Kaminski seems. If Devo got caught saying it, he would have been in trouble.

I believe CusefanATL made the case already of disparate treatment. You just are too dense to get it. Sorry, that's on you not me.

Nobody should say it OR everyone can say it...no "it's OK for blacks but not whites" BS which is where we're at culturally right now.

Talk about dense.

Nah. Language is fluid, and the word doesn't mean the same thing going both ways.

longislandcuse said:
Wait, so Riley Cooper didn't actually want to fight "every n****" at that concert? You mean the fact he's friends with black people and is around that environment where the word is probably uttered 500x a day possibly changes the perception that he's a Grand Wizard who wants to lynch anyone who isn't a WASP?

Yea, you're probably right. The race wars over this word are annoying. I don't say it, but it's pretty easy tell the intent of how it's used, and if it's not used in an explicitly racist tone (even when by a white guy) it shouldn't be this national debate every friggin time.

Riley Cooper's tone wasn't racist?

I am wondering why the losing team's players need to be there for a press conference anyway. I look at other college sports and realize that the NCAA has created an atmosphere for this to happen. The FCC should fine the NCAA for this to be allowed. They (NCAA) sit fat and happy watching the revenue pour in while taking advantage of college kid's emotions and skills.
+ infinity

If I had a nickel every time I was called a n___ on the basketball court... Mostly up at archbold gym

I agree he's a punk. 100%. But I think it's a pretty big reach for anyone to suggest it was racially motivated. He'd have used the same phrase about a black dude in the same context, I guarantee it.
I don't know about that. I think these kids took it a lot worse because they lost to a bunch of white guys.

I don't know why we can't just stick with "a lot of black people use the word, but white people shouldn't" and leave it at that.
if you don't want the word used, don't use it. Everybody. In the case of Hanna strong, she used it because everyone she hung around with (black people) used it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom