James and Brandon are showing up on draft boards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

James and Brandon are showing up on draft boards

I agree and that is a great comparison but James is 10x the athlete D-Nic was and will out preform D-Nic in all the measurables. It doesn't mean he will make the league but I think he will get drafted. We can add Wes to the list too, I think James will measure out bigger than both those guys although Wes in the best athlete IMO. The NBA loves measurables almost as much as the NFL does. If he measures out well at the combine some team will grab him. Again making the league is a different matter.
DNic was screwed out of BE POY. He was a false lab report from being a 1st round pick. James isn't close.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Hard to account for taste, strange picks are made all of the time. But I'd be shocked if JS had an nba career. His lack of a handle will hinder his ability to get off a shot plus he can't defend or rebound.

Yup. Doesn't matter that he can't put it on the floor. He shoots 3s from NBA range and is tall and athletic. He's worth giving a chance to.

He may get the chance cuz of range and jumping ability but the other parts of his game contain glaring deficiencies. He'd essentially be a 3 or maybe a 2 and would have to guard people that would torch him for 35 to 40 a night. People like to say that they don't play defense in the nba but that's nonsense. If you can't defend the opponent will exploit you every trip down the floor.

DNic was screwed out of BE POY. He was a false lab report from being a 1st round pick. James isn't close.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Different years much weaker draft and D-nic was screwed by the committee when we didn't make the tournament...James isn't a better player but it doesn't always translate way all he has to do his find a role on a team.

He may get the chance cuz of range and jumping ability but the other parts of his game contain glaring deficiencies. He'd essentially be a 3 or maybe a 2 and would have to guard people that would torch him for 35 to 40 a night. People like to say that they don't play defense in the nba but that's nonsense. If you can't defend the opponent will exploit you every trip down the floor.

I think you are stretching here.

We all know he has weaknesses in his game. But the point is because of his size chances are in the NBA he's still guarding a guy 1 or 2 inches shorter than him most nights if not more. And if that guy isn't LeBron and is just some bench player he's probably not torching Big Game James for freakin 40.

Southerland would be a different (taller) option to a Jodie Meeks/Jordan Crawford kind of bench scorer you get more size and a more reliable outside shot than those types of players.

He has a shot. Nichols comparison is good.

D Nic turned into a great player for us an should have been Big East POY. But being the same age I balled against him at Archbold and it wasn't like playing with Michael Jordan or anything. He was a guy who had just enough talent in the NCAA game but not enough in the NBA. Southerland is different. He's gonna be there to run the floor and jack 3s strictly his all around game isn't as important at the next level as it was for Nichols.

And... since its Syracuse and James was a bench player most of his career here because we are a power house program... you don't really know how he'd have played as a senior if he was in a similar position to D Nic being the best player and having to carry the team. If that was his role and he was our main option I think you'd see a better well more rounded player than the one we watch coming off the bench on this current team.

I think you are stretching here.

We all know he has weaknesses in his game. But the point is because of his size chances are in the NBA he's still guarding a guy 1 or 2 inches shorter than him most nights if not more. And if that guy isn't LeBron and is just some bench player he's probably not torching Big Game James for freakin 40.

Southerland would be a different (taller) option to a Jodie Meeks/Jordan Crawford kind of bench scorer you get more size and a more reliable outside shot than those types of players.

He has a shot. Nichols comparison is good.

D Nic turned into a great player for us an should have been Big East POY. But being the same age I balled against him at Archbold and it wasn't like playing with Michael Jordan or anything. He was a guy who had just enough talent in the NCAA game but not enough in the NBA. Southerland is different. He's gonna be there to run the floor and jack 3s strictly his all around game isn't as important at the next level as it was for Nichols.

And... since its Syracuse and James was a bench player most of his career here because we are a power house program... you don't really know how he'd have played as a senior if he was in a similar position to D Nic being the best player and having to carry the team. If that was his role and he was our main option I think you'd see a better well more rounded player than the one we watch coming off the bench on this current team.

I think the folks giving JS an nba career are the ones who are stretching. And I do not get the point about how he'd be a more well rounded player if he was our go to guy. Suddenly his deficiencies would go away? You underestimate the defensive side. Why do you think Flynn struggled? He was exposed on the defensive end. JS is a poor defender even in a zone and can barely handle the ball. That's a lot to overlook.

Flynn would be in the NBA still bad D and all if he could shoot better. He's a pure PG and thats why he was drafted so high. And as you surely know almost all the really good PGs in the college game are just short SGs. Flynn not being that is what got him drafted so high.

He's out of the league because he can't shoot, score, his distributing isn't amazing...and then after those 3 reasons because he is a bad defender. Not the other way around. Just my opinion though.

Joseph not leaving and staying 4 years is why we have only seen the same Southerland. If Joseph wasn't on the team last year Southerland's game would have evolved more than it has (not saying it would be perfect or NBA level but its one of the reasons why he is limited in his skillset.) But Southerland only knows this role. And its the same role he'd play in the NBA so I don't think it matters that he has no handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom