JB and a Plan ??? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red is my choice - especially if the next man up has to have a JB tie. Red has been a loyal soldier for a long time and cut his teeth outside of the JB umbrella, at least a little bit. I also hope he retains Griff.
I hope the next coach brings in at least one rainmaker recruiter with him. If he can bring in 2, even better.

Cliff notes of what was said please?
Cole might come back, would like him back.

Hyping up next year's class, they are better than their ranking. (He's said this before in the recent past years, so I eye rolled a bit)

I am not doing a farewell tour, sounds like it will be a press conference after the season, who knows what season that is. Just very vague still.

And why should t
Jim Boeheim was an assistant promoted to head coach. So was Roy Danforth. Fred Lewis is the last basketball coach we've had who was an outsider. Marc Guley was promoted from the bench, as was Lou Andreas.

Dino Babers was an outsider who had bene a head coach. He's had 5 losing season in 6 years. Scott Shafer, Doug Marrone, Greg Robinson, Paul Paqualoni and Frank Maloney had only been assistants. Pasqualoni and Shafer were internal hires and Marrone had played here. Coach Mac, Ben and Biggie Munn had been small college coaches. Vic Hanson and Chick Meehan were alums and internal hires. Frank O'Neill and the Jones boys started Hall of Fame careers here, their first head coaching jobs. Ossie Solem is the only guy who had ever been a major college head coach before he came here.

Both the Roy Simmons and John Desko were assistants here when hired to coach the lacrosse team. Before them Laurie Cox, who started the SU lacrosse program in 1916, had been a professor at SU and a landscape architect. Gary Gait had starred here and was coaching the women's team.

Yes, this situation is different. I'm just pointing out that this school doesn't usually go outside the program for a coach unless things have already collapsed here.
And why should JW go outside. Zero reason to.

Does anyone else find it weird that JB is going out of his way to call in to all the shows and is openly talking about his plan, his retirement, his timeline. It seems like he’s going above and beyond about it.

It really makes me question what is going on.

JW needs to talk soon IMO.

Was I the only one that found it interesting that Roy was at the game the other night, especially after they mentioned he wouldn’t be at the Duke/UNC coach K farewell this weekend? I don’t recall if he went to the Duke/UNC game at chapel hill a couple weeks ago though. It just came across my mind like “does Roy go to a lot of games now?”, “why would Roy come to this game if it’s not JB’s last against the Tar Heels”, etc. I think part of it is just the thought I’ve had all along that he would hang it up randomly at the end of this season.

Does anyone else find it weird that JB is going out of his way to call in to all the shows and is openly talking about his plan, his retirement, his timeline. It seems like he’s going above and beyond about it.

The opposite could be the case - a talk may have already happened.

I'm really starting to think that this '22 recruiting class was part of the "plan" - that the "plan" was made at or around the time the targets/class was being mapped out...

Not saying I think it'll work or that it's some Fab 5 class, but I really think JB is making it the transition foundation for his successor - and for the record I don't think who the successor is has been decided yet

I'm really starting to think that this '22 recruiting class was part of the "plan" - that the "plan" was made at or around the time the targets/class was being mapped out...

Not saying I think it'll work or that it's some Fab 5 class, but I really think JB is making it the transition foundation for his successor - and for the record I don't think who the successor is has been decided yet

That sort of makes sense to me. Seems we purposely recruit someone at every position so the next coach can at least have a foundation to work with when they come onboard.

And why should t

Because the guys on the bench aren't qualified. There's one reason.

And they wouldn't stack up well compared to external candidates. There's reason #2.

And because they are mediocre recruiters. Reason #3.

And the product on the court suggests that they aren't great at teaching the game. Reason #4.

And because this hire is probably going to define Wildhack's tenure at SU, so he'd be stupid to limit his choice and artificially constrain the candidate pool to guys tied to the program -- 1 of whom is floundering at the P5 level, and the other 2 who haven't gotten a sniff to be a head coach anywhere else. Reason #5

And because when a product is in decline, the way to reverse that trend isn't to promote someone who is going to keep doing the same things, and crossing their fingers that the results are going to be different. Reason #6.

And because Wildhack is a former senior executive at a prominent [putting it mildly] sports-related organization. He understands how excecutive hires work, and isn't going to settle for someone underqualified. Reason #7.

And because our brand is still strong, and accordingly there will be lots of solid external candidates who will be interested in the job when the time comes to make the change. Reason #8.

And because JB has admitted himself that he isn't going to personally selecting his replacement. Reason #9.

But that's just off the top of my head -- shall I go on?

Last edited:
Was I the only one that found it interesting that Roy was at the game the other night, especially after they mentioned he wouldn’t be at the Duke/UNC coach K farewell this weekend? I don’t recall if he went to the Duke/UNC game at chapel hill a couple weeks ago though. It just came across my mind like “does Roy go to a lot of games now?”, “why would Roy come to this game if it’s not JB’s last against the Tar Heels”, etc. I think part of it is just the thought I’ve had all along that he would hang it up randomly at the end of this season.

He goes to seemingly all their home games.

And why should t

Have you been sleeping since 2013? I get it if you have been since our style has become so boring it can put someone to sleep.

Didn't sometime recently, JB say something about even going some m-2-m next year? Would it be farfetched in thinking that he is somewhat preparing the team for a change in leadership? I mean the entire team has fone nothing but zone and that puts them pretty far behind if a new coach comes in.

I know really farfetched but could be?

Sounds like a question for Mike Ortiz jr.

Of course it's weird.

He's playing carny.

Because the guys on the bench aren't qualified. There's one reason.

And they wouldn't stack up well compared to external candidates. There's reason #2.

And because they are mediocre recruiters. Reason #3.

And the product on the court suggests that they aren't great at teaching the game. Reason #4.

And because this hire is probably going to define Wildhack's tenure at SU, so he'd be stupid to limit his choice and artificially constrain the candidate pool to guys tied to the program -- 1 of whom is floundering at the P5 level, and the other 2 who haven't gotten a sniff to be a head coach anywhere else. Reason #5

And because when a product is in decline, the way to reverse that trend isn't to promote someone who is going to keep doing the same things, and crossing their fingers that the results are going to be different. Reason #6.

And because Wildhack is a former senior executive at a prominent [putting it mildly] sports-related organization. He understands how excecutive hires work, and isn't going to settle for someone underqualified. Reason #7.

And because our brand is still strong, and accordingly there will be lots of solid external candidates who will be interested in the job when the time comes to make the change. Reason #8.

And because JB has admitted himself that he isn't going to personally selecting his replacement. Reason #9.

But that's just off the top of my head -- shall I go on?
No. Those would be good points other than they are all simply your opinion.

Good friggin grief! Is he for real? Is he really attempting to imply correlation between the "plan" he referred to yesterday with a 'plan' in place when he was 35, 50 remark? Talk about a stretch relative to the "unpublished" plan then vs. the present day "unpublished" plan. Unreal!

Last edited:
Okay, been away for a couple of days but back to Cuse related things. I just read through all 7 pages. My reaction to this...

1. I'm tired of Boeheim speaking. I used to love it. It used to matter when he spoke, now it does for the wrong reasons. No reason for those comments, in my opinion.

2. This keeping it in the family stuff has gotten stale. It used to be cool when we were winning but now, who cares, I mean really. You want to keep it in the family and continue mediocrity? No thanks, I just want to win, damn it. I don't care if the grim reaper himself coached the Cuse (or Pitino) if it meant getting back to top 25 consistently.
As far as I'm concerned, Pitino is the grim reaper.

I saw them both. I think the best move is to keep it in house. I completely understand wanting to go outside. My two cents is worth half that:)

Go be woke elsewhere. Your racism is tiring.
Nice dodge. The onus is on you to share your take on why there’s not a lot old non-white guys with a lot of power around.

You don’t get to call people racist and tell them to go away without the kahunas to share your opinion. One might suggest you do so from a position of respect, since you leveled a pretty big charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom