JB has changed | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly has other interests that could occupy his time. He just likes doing this more for now, and no one is pushing him toward the exit.
I don't know what those interests are. basketball and syracuse are it for him. It's why we were so lucky to have so many amazing years with him, gotta take the good with the bad and we're in the bad now

That's because there never was a plan in place, let alone an "ironclad" one. Every time JB approaches the finish line, he changes his mind and won't step away.

Any regard he had for his subordinate AC's professional best interests has repeatedly taken a back seat to his own self-interests. He's never had any intention of stepping away. He "accepted" the original succession plan because he was in a position of relative weakness after the second set of NCAA sanctions got handed down -- and also because it was downstream by a few years. That bought him time, and he blew it up at the first opportunity, which adversely impacted his right hand man, Mike Hopkins.

I know for a FACT that the AD office was completely caught off-guard when JB mentioned that a plan was in place last season, because no such agreement had been discussed.
Add to this the famous (infamous) JB temperament, one that’s as cuddly and wholesome as a desert cactus, & I can see him hanging on even longer just to prove everyone wrong.
The more he hears the talk, or even if it gets to that point, the boos…I can see him more determined to hang on and “show ‘em all” once again.
Translation: As a program, we’re in deep doodoo…w/out a paddle.

I don't know what those interests are. basketball and syracuse are it for him. It's why we were so lucky to have so many amazing years with him, gotta take the good with the bad and we're in the bad now

Who has ever thought that they have enough money? I'm sure you studied the wealth effect theory at SU. But okay fine. I'm sure retirement and a change in their lifestyles has its downside for her.

Add to this the famous (infamous) JB temperament, one that’s as cuddly and wholesome as a desert cactus, & I can see him hanging on even longer just to prove everyone wrong.
The more he hears the talk, or even if it gets to that point, the boos…I can see him more determined to hang on and “show ‘em all” once again.
Translation: As a program, we’re in deep doodoo…w/out a paddle.
this where mrs boeheim saves the day

JB changed starting in 2013. That is when he went all in on the zone.

He obviously loves golf, is involved in various charitable endeavors and enjoys traveling. He would also have opportunities as a studio or game analyst if he wanted to pursue that. I really don't think coaching is everything for him, even if that's what makes him happiest.

Who has ever thought that they have enough money? I'm sure you studied the wealth effect theory at SU. But okay fine. I'm sure retirement and a change in their lifestyles has its downside for her.
we can all see they don't spend that much.

they waited until he was a hundred to buy the really place on the lake that he could pay for without even thinking twice

Do you though?

Name me an organization that would accept 30% profit cuts with a CEO well past his/her prime. And a clear as day downward spiral that has gone on for the last 8 years. Not to mention major violations (no matter if you believe they were unfairly enforced or not) from the governing body.

It's unacceptable and you absolutely do not have to take the bad with the good. That take isn't acceptable.

Reminds me of a blackjack player. If you're winning, you gotta play out the streak. If you're losing, you gotta keep playing until you get back on a win streak because you don't want to go out on a down note. Before you know it, you're broke.

Or maybe that's just me.

In watching todays post game presser and listening to Jim after the last game he has changed.
He is as smart as ever and his observations are for the most part spot on. Whats different is that he comes across as an observer vs the teams coach. Hes detailed but hes also detached. Very matter of fact, very laid back.
Like hes reviewing a play vs directing it.
JB has changed and so has the game. Stackhouse and McKie agree on that in philly.com article.

Do you though?

Name me an organization that would accept 30% profit cuts with a CEO well past his/her prime. And a clear as day downward spiral that has gone on for the last 8 years. Not to mention major violations (no matter if you believe they were unfairly enforced or not) from the governing body.

It's unacceptable and you absolutely do not have to take the bad with the good. That take isn't acceptable.
We are not shareholders in Syracuse basketball. If you don't like it, don't donate, don't go, etc.

We will look like complete idiots when we force out a legend only to hire someone who also struggles to win enough to please fans spoiled by the legend's greatness.

We are not shareholders in Syracuse basketball. If you don't like it, don't donate, don't go, etc.

We will look like complete idiots when we force out a legend only to hire someone who also struggles to win enough to please fans spoiled by the legend's greatness.
We already look like complete idiots. We have lost to Colgate two years in a row and are having trouble recruiting top 75 recruits, let alone top 25.

And whether you think that's true or not, fans, donors, alumni, they are the primary shareholders in all of this. It may be 0.00001% of one share, but without us, there is no program. It's a slippery slope if you take the approach you suggest. You can't cater to fans, but you sure as hell better listen to them when the ground swells become enormous.

We already look like complete idiots. We have lost to Colgate two years in a row and are having trouble recruiting top 75 recruits, let alone top 25.

And whether you think that's true or not, fans, donors, alumni, they are the primary shareholders in all of this. It may be 0.00001% of one share, but without us, there is no program. It's a slippery slope if you take the approach you suggest. You can't cater to fans, but you sure as hell better listen to them when the ground swells become enormous.
oh give me a break. we're always the laughing stock, like the country just sits around talking about the great Orange ever having a season where they lost a couple more than they won

oh give me a break. we're always the laughing stock, like the country just sits around talking about the great Orange ever having a season where they lost a couple more than they won
We have lost to Colgate - and lost by double digits - to Colgate two years in a row. We look like complete idiots.

We have had 10+ losses for eight (and soon to be nine) straight years.

We haven't been ranked nationally in 3 (and soon to be 4) seasons.

We are irrelevant. You're putting words in my mouth with "laughing stock".

We fund our program at a Top 10 level. What does that ROI mean to you? To the BOT & ultimately the AD? Ticket sales are going to suffer this year. I have no doubt.

We are an afterthought nationally. The only reason more media don't put out "JB must go" stuff is because they're afraid of him or are friends with him.

All zone started 2009.

Not what I was saying. He went from using the Zone as a means to trying to use the Zone as a weapon.

We used to recruit kids who were O first athletes. Having them in a Zone helped keep a short bench, led to a bunch of steals, had the team already facing the O basket which lead to fast breaks, forced teams to shoot 3s which is a lower percentage shot (and most teams only had 1-2 players who could even hit those shots).

We used to actually have PGs instead of combo Gs. We used to have Gs and Fs who could take the ball to the rim. I don't think we have had a single one of those since 2013 let alone several on the same squad.

In 2013 we started to grind out games and had guys who had size and length. JB went from an O HC that used the Zone to a D HC. He started to recruit to the Zone vs using the Zone to make O players better on D. That lasted until his son showed up and then he became Mike Brey the last few years. Now that his son is gone I think he will revert to the D first JB.

We have lost to Colgate - and lost by double digits - to Colgate two years in a row. We look like complete idiots.

We have had 10+ losses for eight (and soon to be nine) straight years.

We haven't been ranked nationally in 3 (and soon to be 4) seasons.

We are irrelevant. You're putting words in my mouth with "laughing stock".

We fund our program at a Top 10 level. What does that ROI mean to you? To the BOT & ultimately the AD? Ticket sales are going to suffer this year. I have no doubt.

We are an afterthought nationally. The only reason more media don't put out "JB must go" stuff is because they're afraid of him or are friends with him.
afterthought or irrelevant <> idiots

afterthought or irrelevant <> idiots
Sounds like last year’s thread on repeat.

Did you really expect anything more from, Girard who couldn’t hit and took bad 3PT shots, Edwards, Mintz, and Williams who could not play defense, just stood around and watched ‘em shoot, and a bunch of freshmen who comprise this entirely new team?

Saw this coming last year – we’ll be fortunate to match last years record this year, IMO.

Sounds like last year’s thread on repeat.

Did you really expect anything more from, Girard who couldn’t hit and took bad 3PT shots, Edwards, Mintz, and Williams who could not play defense, just stood around and watched ‘em shoot, and a bunch of freshmen who comprise this entirely new team?

Saw this coming last year – we’ll be fortunate to match last years record this year, IMO.
I agree with you that this year might be as bad or worse than last year

I don't think we are good, I think we will be irrelevant. I just don't think we look like idiots for not canning boeheim

And becoming elderly tends to amplify prominent personality attributes.

JB has always been inflexible, insecure, a little socially awkward, and hard on the players. All of those characteristics are magnified to the Nth degree now.
2003 amplified his prominent personality attributes.

I agree with you that this year might be as bad or worse than last year

I don't think we are good, I think we will be irrelevant. I just don't think we look like idiots for not canning boeheim
I can assure you that there are many - in fact, a vast majority - in the college basketball ranks that think Syracuse University are idiots for not canning Boeheim.

I can assure you that there are many - in fact, a vast majority - in the college basketball ranks that think Syracuse University are idiots for not canning Boeheim.

I don't agree with this.

We got killed for canning Coach P back when, this would a magnitude of a lot more. JB's life is friends with that world.

The vast majority would likely assume it would end like Roy or K, not Denny Crum.

I don't agree with this.

We got killed for canning Coach P back when, this would a magnitude of a lot more. JB's life is friends with that world.

The vast majority would likely assume it would end like Roy or K, not Denny Crum.
I do this for a living, believe it or not. I can list any number of coaches in the Division I ranks that I know for a fact are laughing at us and do not respect SU anymore as a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom