JB: "No end game strategy." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB: "No end game strategy."

hey it's never too early to start planning for transition. those who wait too late end up in cardboard coffins.

Let's say that you and your wife decide to sell your house and move to Florida. As part of that move, you put an ad in the paper offering to sell your refrigerator.

But after going to Florida and seeing the place and the traffic and the bugs and the daily rain, you both decide to stay back in CNY.

Is your regrigerator still for sale? And why not?

What you are missing here is that the situation has completely changed since there was a time frame in place for JB's retirement.

What you are doing is cherry-picking one piece of an agreement from an earlier period. Once Hopkins left, the time frame went out the window because the time frame was part of a larger plan.

The key to understanding the current situation is a fair look at the history.

Back when Hopkins was the Associate Head Coach, JB wanted to keep him. So as part of the deal to do this --- along with an expanded set of responsibilities, a title and a significant amount of money --- JB said that he planned to retire and even set a tentative date.

Then Hopkins took the Washington job. And the circumstances surrounding this don't
matter in the contest of this discussion. What does matter is that JB's planned retirement date went out the window when Hopkins left.

That "time frame" is a vestigial part of an older plan and has little, if any, relevance to the current situation.

Oh, and when can I come by to get that refrigerator you once said you were selling?

That's some analogy you got there! Here's another:

Let's say that Coach Boeheim and his wife decide to sell their house and move to Fulton. As part of that move, they put an ad in the paper offering to sell their refrigerator.

But after going to Fulton and seeing the place and all the extra snow they get, they both decide to stay where they are.

Is their refrigerator still for sale? And why not?...

Who gives a crap about their fridge, probably less than 5 people. It isn't made of gold - not that I know of anyway, I've never been in their house - and the ad never stated who the seller was.

Selling a fridge in a newspaper doesn't quite reach the level of interest, importance, and media coverage of a major college coach announcing his retirement plans at a press conference (video and audio happ'nin' here!) and then changing his mind. The latter invites questions about retirement on an ongoing basis.

As I mentioned before, he's the only major college coach who announced and reneged. That and the fact that he's the oldest coach in college basketball makes him a target for retirement questions. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

Back when Hopkins was the Associate Head Coach, JB wanted to keep him. So as part of the deal to do this --- along with an expanded set of responsibilities, a title and a significant amount of money --- JB said that he planned to retire and even set a tentative date.
never seen or heard JB say he planned to retire in writing before hopkins left even after the sanctions.
in fact he slyly dodged the question in every interview when asked. if you have it in writing i'd love to see it dated and verbatim. secondly and more to the point when you have the oldest coach in D1 perhaps a TRUE transition plan should already be in place. time waits for no man. this issue needs to be discussed and decided.
i took no joy in selecting a headstone but at least i got a final say and wasn't stuck with something
kitschy. to say in print i'm here forever really does us no favors . dude is old. fact.

Last edited:
never seen or heard JB say he planned to retire in writing before hopkins left even after the sanctions.
in fact he slyly dodged the question in every interview when asked. if you have it in writing i'd love to see it dated and verbatim. secondly and more to the point when you have the oldest coach in D1 perhaps a TRUE transition plan should already be in place. time waits for no man. this issue needs to be discussed and decided.
i took no joy in selecting a headstone but at least i got a final say and wasn't stuck with something
kitschy. to say in print i'm here forever really does us no favors . dude is old. fact.

A transition plan involves naming his successor from the current staff.

That's some analogy you got there! Here's another:

Let's say that Coach Boeheim and his wife decide to sell their house and move to Fulton. As part of that move, they put an ad in the paper offering to sell their refrigerator.

But after going to Fulton and seeing the place and all the extra snow they get, they both decide to stay where they are.

Is their refrigerator still for sale? And why not?...

Who gives a crap about their fridge, probably less than 5 people. It isn't made of gold - not that I know of anyway, I've never been in their house - and the ad never stated who the seller was.

Selling a fridge in a newspaper doesn't quite reach the level of interest, importance, and media coverage of a major college coach announcing his retirement plans at a press conference (video and audio happ'nin' here!) and then changing his mind. The latter invites questions about retirement on an ongoing basis.

As I mentioned before, he's the only major college coach who announced and reneged. That and the fact that he's the oldest coach in college basketball makes him a target for retirement questions. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

Ask away.

You aren't going to get a straight answer because of the potential impact of recruiting.

But have at it.

Don Quixote tilted at those windmills too,

It'll be discussed and decided when it needs to be. Up until then, JB or JW isn't going to respond no matter how anxious that makes the most nervous in the fan base.

The link between your choosing a grave marker because you are eventually going to be dead and JB announcing he is going to retire is very tenuous. Maybe the link is that you have a high level of need to have things settled.

In this case, we are all going to hang by our thumbs for a while.

probably the reason i dislike HOF induction while a person is still employing their craft is that once you're in ... you're in. hall of fame selection is based on a past body of work. not necessarily on the current numbers. you
can still be a hall of famer these days (and we won't ever take that away) but not putting up great numbers.
just being in the hall of fame doesn't necessarily mean you are still top of the class. it means you were. once.

Last edited:
I guess... just seems like it’s much more of a pointed effort by the media when it comes to JB.
Probably because K’s teams are in the top 10 every season and JB’s teams are scrapping to stay on the bubble every year. If JB can turn it around and get up around 30 wins again there would be much less talk.

A transition plan involves naming his successor from the current staff.

jim-the-office.gif.cf.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom