JB on Golic and Wingo Monday at 8:05 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Golic and Wingo Monday at 8:05

Being critical is fine and I struggled with this years team. What I really have trouble handling though is people getting upset about such speculative things.

Could you ever imagine Duke fans getting upset that K said their team would be good. I know our programs are in different positions but to be critical of a coach saying we would be good is just weird to me.

I think you can buck the trend of polarization and just be honest on here. The riff raff expose themselves quickly and you can ignore. This site is just overrun right now with sky is falling negativity.
I just answered this in the second message to you.
The point is JB says we should be good and we are bubble team again we will get the same people criticizing the critics making excuses for why we are on the bubble.
With JB’s comments now we have him on record.
That is the point if JB expects us to be good then when we go 9-9 in the conference next year and we are on the bubble can people be frustrated?

So be it. I would prefer a confident coach that we can hammmer if they don’t meet standards over someone hedging their bets.
There is no point for me to continue if this is how you feel.
As the point is we can’t hammer if that happens. The same people defend no matter what.

The point is JB says we should be good and we are bubble team again we will get the same people criticizing the critics making excuses for why we are on the bubble.
That is the point if JB expects us to be good then when we go 9-9 in the conference next year and we are on the bubble can people be frustrated?

Of course they can. There are actual results to be frustrated about.

I read the original post I responded to as follows.

Coach says team should be good

Fan gets upset that coach says this because team may not be good, and his and other fans will have had their hopes up

Essentially the fan wants his and others expectations tempered so they don’t get let down.

I just don’t get the logic. I want the coach to be reasonably honest and if he doesn’t meet expectations he is free for criticism. The problem is lately in my opinion there have been a lot of people in both camps going out of their way to defend JB or hammer him and it is getting weird

There is plenty to be upset about but now it seems like we are making stuff up to be mad about.

As the point is we can’t hammer if that happens. The same people defend no matter what.

I have never been one of those people. We disagree on this, but in general I have been pretty unhappy with where the program is. I haven’t commented on most of the anger on here recently other than this and some of the recruiting stuff.

Such sensitivity. Boeheim said we would be good this year and a guys is worried it will get people hopes up just to lose to elite teams. That kind of is being a hater.

You can be mad if he is wrong but you shouldn’t be mad that they guy thinks we will be good. He’s the g damn coach.

Fact is some on here are haters. It seems like everyone must fall in the category of worshiping JB or being a hater. Newsflash you can be somewhere in between.

Had he said we would struggle next year this place would go nuclear.

I’m far from a hater. I’m frustrated being on the bubble every year, but not a hater.

Of course they can. There are actual results to be frustrated about.

I read the original post I responded to as follows.

Coach says team should be good

Fan gets upset that coach says this because team may not be good, and his and other fans will have had their hopes up

Essentially the fan wants his and others expectations tempered so they don’t get let down.

I just don’t get the logic. I want the coach to be reasonably honest and if he doesn’t meet expectations he is free for criticism. The problem is lately in my opinion there have been a lot of people in both camps going out of their way to defend JB or hammer him and it is getting weird

There is plenty to be upset about but now it seems like we are making stuff up to be mad about.
Good post.
I want to be good next year.
I think we are a tournament team next year. I have said we are a 8-9 seed IMO.
At this point I will take that.

My point in post was JB went on record so now if we are good he is right and deserves props from everyone.
If we are a bubble team he deserves criticism but the defenders will spin IMO. That was my point.

I’m far from a hater. I’m frustrated being on the bubble every year, but not a hater.

Fair enough. I don’t follow closely enough day to day to know one way or another to be honest. Your comment in this thread seemed strange to me , but I trust that 90 percent of those frustrated are good fans. There is a subset on here though that are just awful. I trust you are in the 90 percent.

Good post.
I want to be good next year.
I think we are a tournament team next year. I have said we are a 8-9 seed IMO.
At this point I will take that.

My point in post was JB went on record so now if we are good he is right and deserves props from everyone.
If we are a bubble team he deserves criticism but the defenders will spin IMO. That was my point.

Group hug?

What are your expectations for the team next year record wise assuming we keep everyone but Battle on the roster now and don’t add anyone else.

No idea without a full schedule. But we’ll be better. We could have the same 8-10 ACC record and be better since the schedule this year in the ACC was kinda soft.

Of course you can be frustrated.

But adults can manage their frustration.

Being frustrated does not give an people license to say or write anything that pops into their heads.

Lol. Look at your first 2 posts in this thread. You lauded JB for the interview. Didn’t take a single shot at JBs comment that we’d be good next year. Then what? You decide to turn the thread sideways.

Speaks well to Brissett coming back. Also sounds confident that Marek will come back from Europe

I'd like to know where this Marek may stay in Europe nonsense started. Has there been any evidence that he would stay? None that I know of.

Being frustrated does not give an people license to say or write anything that pops into their heads.
We don't have a right to speak our mind, given it is done respectfully? I'm not getting into another back and forth. Questioning some of the decisions does not make you a bad fan. I think the staff did a terrific job with what they had this year. Terrific! That doesn't mean, for example, I can't question the defensive calls after the other team scores six straight threes. I personally think that makes you a better fan because you are still being objective.

I'd like to know where this Marek may stay in Europe nonsense started. Has there been any evidence that he would stay? None that I know of.

From a poster who hasn't posted here in months and said he would be here 1 year.

Lol. Look at your first 2 posts in this thread. You lauded JB for the interview. Didn’t take a single shot at JBs comment that we’d be good next year. Then what? You decide to turn the thread sideways.
I gave a comment to 0307’s comment which was basically the point we now have standards for next year.
I give credit to JB for that interview today on Bazley he was perfect. That is the most important part of that interview. He nailed it.

It went off the rails because Tobias Funke thought something that needed to be cleared up. We cleared it up.

We are good.

We don't have a right to speak our mind, given it is done respectfully? I'm not getting into another back and forth. Questioning some of the decisions does not make you a bad fan. I think the staff did a terrific job with what they had this year. Terrific! That doesn't mean, for example, I can't question the defensive calls after the other team scores six straight threes. I personally think that makes you a better fan because you are still being objective.
No, we should shut up and be thankful according to him.

At least Bees doesn’t go that far. He and I may clash but I believe he can state one thing JB has done wrong.

No idea without a full schedule. But we’ll be better. We could have the same 8-10 ACC record and be better since the schedule this year in the ACC was kinda soft.

That's the answer I wanted two days ago!

No offense to your answer, but there's only so much they can do to the schedule because we have BC and Pitt baked in every year. If we go 3-1 minimum against those schools again it's another rough year. We could theoretically go from playing Virginia twice to playing NC State twice. If it's an 8-10 ACC record we probably don't make the tournament again.

No, the internet does. Membership here does. I know that bothers you, but we are still going to do it anyways. Feel free to not read.

Speaks well to Brissett coming back. Also sounds confident that Marek will come back from Europe
Well I'm sure he was confident about Baz making it to campus as well. I don't think anyone here will rest easy until the first practice. Marek is the one I'm concerned about. A lot can happen 10,000 miles away.

I think next year we’ll be right around 23-25 wins before the tournaments. Safely in but just below that elite tier.

In my opinion, expectations are the result of how one views the program's "historical status"; how it has performed in recent history; and are there any mitigating circumstances within the coach's/coaching staff/athletics department control that have led one to believe there is cause for major concern with the direction it is going.

This current decade, even with one major injury (Onuaku) that impacted our post season success in 2010; a concern academic violations would mean vacated wins resulted in our BE Defensive Player of the Year (Fab Melo) sitting out the 2012 tourney (which in hindsight may have been a mistake considering it did little to mitigate sanctions); and of course ultimately being badly crippled by ridiculously harsh sanctions from 2014-2015 until now - a great case can be made that this has actually been our most successful tourney decade ever, and we still have one more year to go.

Unlike football where we have fallen off a cliff (while we wait for HCDB to get us back to at least winning football) or men's lacrosse which had seen three championships in the 80s, three in the 90s, and five in the 00s but is in danger of being bageled in the 10s in terms of championships (but doing fine in terms of final fours in that sport) - men's basketball remains the one constant in SU athletics.

I know we all wish the program had won 3-4 championships by this point in time (87, 03, 10, and/or 12), but perhaps that is an unrealistic expectation given the history of how much has happened to this program throughout the years. Twice hit by sanctions in the last three decades, first 2 seed to lose to a 15 seed, the long getting beyond the Sweet 16 curse. We are what we are, not what we want us to be. And amazingly that is still elite. And we at least will not be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed (thank you Virginia)! ;)

Without Bazely, it won't be as easy to win that second championship next year, but there are enough good players on the roster (assuming everyone but Battle returns and they are all reasonably healthy) that I wouldn't say it is out of the question. I am expecting a Top 4 seed in the tourney next year, again assuming no bad breaks.

End of long rant.

Cheers,
Neil

Some people here need to take a course in coach speak. No college coach in any sport on any level knows how good or not good his/her team is going to be next year. All they know is they have a chance to be good. It's how coaches think -- do we have a chance to be good or are we up against it this coming year? Obviously from what he knows now he thinks we have a chance to be good. But even if everyone comes back Boeheim won't know good or not good until people begin practice in October. Questions he can't answer until then are about fit, chemistry, cohesion, player maturity, etc. Because the players are so young, they change physically and emotionally a lot over a short period of time. He can't assess that until he sees them actually practice in October. So when he says we'll be good, he's not thinking about managing expectations of the fan base or any of that crap -- he's saying that from what he knows right now he thinks we'll be good, which could range from pretty dang good to mediocre.

Some people here need to take a course in coach speak. No college coach in any sport on any level knows how good or not good his/her team is going to be next year. All they know is they have a chance to be good. It's how coaches think -- do we have a chance to be good or are we up against it this coming year? Obviously from what he knows now he thinks we have a chance to be good. But even if everyone comes back Boeheim won't know good or not good until people begin practice in October. Questions he can't answer until then are about fit, chemistry, cohesion, player maturity, etc. Because the players are so young, they change physically and emotionally a lot over a short period of time. He can't assess that until he sees them actually practice in October. So when he says we'll be good, he's not thinking about managing expectations of the fan base or any of that crap -- he's saying that from what he knows right now he thinks we'll be good, which could range from pretty dang good to mediocre.

Also have to figure that his messaging serves as a softer message to get out there now that we will be hunting for more help for next season. Praises the kid, wishes him well, talks college advantages and lays down a positive vision for next year. This is good for kids on campus and for anyone we might try and bring in. A lot of important and good stuff in there. Personally , with the current volatility in the program the past 4 years the more of this from JB the better.

The news in that interview wasn’t that JB thinks SU will still be “good” next year. It means he thought SU would have been “very good” with Bazley. Any respectable SU fan knows we’ll still be good based on returning talent.

But the most interesting thing in the interview was that Bazley’s camp never informed the staff about his decision. They found out about it on Twitter like many of us.

Syracuse Basketball: Jim Boeheim heard Darius Bazley news on Twitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom