JB on Golic and Wingo Monday at 8:05 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Golic and Wingo Monday at 8:05

But the most interesting thing in the interview was that Bazley’s camp never informed the staff about his decision. They found out about it on Twitter like many of us.

Shows what a top notch individual he truly is. I like Marsh's response in the decommitment thread the most.

We don't have a right to speak our mind, given it is done respectfully? I'm not getting into another back and forth. Questioning some of the decisions does not make you a bad fan. I think the staff did a terrific job with what they had this year. Terrific! That doesn't mean, for example, I can't question the defensive calls after the other team scores six straight threes. I personally think that makes you a better fan because you are still being objective.

You’re frustrated because a team makes six threes straight?

Good example.

Now this evokes anger among some of the fan base. They then take off criticizing and blaming everything and everyone but Otto. If they don’t like JB particularly, it’s at least partially his fault. If they were Kansas fans they would be apoplectic about Villanova’s success.

It’s all about assigning blame to salve their anger. It’s the Internet equivalent ok kicking the Rarely do you read any substantive analysis.

They are completely unmoved by the statistics on how well our defense does against threes.

Where are these threes being shot from?

What defense protects against deep threes? What happens when you extend you defensive pressure out to 22 feet?

How much of this is caused by defensive schemes and how much of is caused by in attention by the players?

No, the internet does. Membership here does. I know that bothers you, but we are still going to do it anyways. Feel free to not read.

Fair enough.

And I’ll continue to shine a light on what your opinions reflect.

I'd like to know where this Marek may stay in Europe nonsense started. Has there been any evidence that he would stay? None that I know of.
Just that Marek did infact go home. The staff plans on him being back but you never know

The news in that interview wasn’t that JB thinks SU will still be “good” next year. It means he thought SU would have been “very good” with Bazley. Any respectable SU fan knows we’ll still be good based on returning talent.

But the most interesting thing in the interview was that Bazley’s camp never informed the staff about his decision. They found out about it on Twitter like many of us.

Syracuse Basketball: Jim Boeheim heard Darius Bazley news on Twitter

This has now been corrected. He told the coaches first.

Not sure there are any coaches that would answer that with a “yeah...we’re gonna suck! Already dreading the next year with this team!”

Reading this whole thread feels like a run-on sentence!
He could have said:
  • It'll be a challenge
  • We'll be OK
  • We'll be fine
  • We'll be good
  • We'll be excellent

All valid and non-controversial coach speak.

I don't know you so I'm not sure why "suck" was the only thing you came up with.

He could have said:
  • It'll be a challenge
  • We'll be OK
  • We'll be fine
  • We'll be good
  • We'll be excellent

All valid and non-controversial coach speak.

I don't know you so I'm not sure why "suck" was the only thing you came up with.
Because of course he gave the generic answer that every single coach of any program would give. I used suck as an extreme.

This has now been corrected. He told the coaches first.

Ten minutes before the Yahoo story broke. So JB didn’t know before the story broke.

And I tend to wonder whether Griffin is putting up a good front.

There will be more to this story.

Because of course he gave the generic answer that every single coach of any program would give. I used suck as an extreme.
I was suggesting that not all coaches in all situations would have given that answer. There are plenty of good alternatives that coaches frequently give.

Last edited:
Bingo. No need to burn that bridge and a little white lie saves everyone face.
Agreed and the same concept should be used in post game press conferences too. The school and it's employees always need to take the higher road.

He did use one of those.
In these situations, I try not to base my expectations on what a coach says. It's also worth remembering that we base our opinions of a coach on (mostly) results. Sometimes I think we get to hung up on whether or not a coach engages in coach-speak. At the end of the day, it's more important to me that we perform well than if the coach is honest with his opinions.

The news in that interview wasn’t that JB thinks SU will still be “good” next year. It means he thought SU would have been “very good” with Bazley. Any respectable SU fan knows we’ll still be good based on returning talent.

This is what JB said: “We’re going to have a good team next year. We would have liked to have him with us but we’ll be a good team.” I don't know that I've ever heard or read Boeheim say or imply that any of his teams would be "very good" based on an incoming player. He's said we have a chance to be very good if things break our way but that's the extent of it.

I was suggesting that not all coaches in all situations would have given that answer. There are plenty of good alternatives that coaches frequently give.

Not six months before the first practice starts.

JB hit just the right tone with his interviews at the FF.Great job Jimmie,no bitterness,just senoir HOF coach-speak. Intimate knowledge of the G-league challenges.If he was speaking directly to a Grad Transfer or an uncommitted or wavering H.S. Senior comit...he couldn't have done better.We are still in recruiting mode,we develop NBA picks,Syracuse is a great place to develop your game with great facilities,...and we're going to be good next year. Exactly the right tone to talk to a parent or kid on a big stage right now! Bravo Jim Boeheim!

And nobody wants to chime in on how JB contradicts a lot of "conventional" thinking around here that by going to the G League a kid will actually get more coaching than if he stayed the course. He says over the next 6 months no individual attention/coaching. No practicing 6 hrs a day with instructors or coaches. No strength coaches. That NBA teams aren't spending the time or money to develop these kids like they would get in college. That may change but it isn't that way now.

I for one wondered how a 6'8" 180-190 pound 17 year old could hope to compete well against guys older and big than he is. Reports from the McD game said Bazley didn't do well because it was more of an individual game than the team structure where he shines. Just like the G league (per JB) .

He said we were NC good before the 2016-17 season. I had nothing wrong with what he said but I think the point that 0307 was making is people on here can’t defend a bubble season now if JB is saying we should be better than that.

I've said I think he needs to retire if next year is a bubble season. I think the Tournament this year buys him an extra year, but I'd like to get back to top 6 league finishes and 1-6 seeds in the Tournament.

Just that Marek did infact go home. The staff plans on him being back but you never know

Can't you say that about every player who goes home? Is class back in? if so, is he back to class?

Can't you say that about every player who goes home? Is class back in? if so, is he back to class?

If he went home and classes are still going on, how can a student leave in April if he plans on being eligible in 18/19? Are foreign students held under a different set of rules?

He never said when he found out in the interview.

JB gave a perfect answer on Bazley . He praised the kid he talked about why college is better than the G league and he gave nothing but love. Great answer by Boeheim.
It was great. He clearly likes the kid.

JB said 47 of the last 48 McDonalds all-Americans went to college and he expects the next 48 McDonalds AAs to go college.
Said Bazley is a good and unselfish kid.
He will have to wait till November to play with an organized team while if we went to college could work out with staff and S&C in the summer.
Kid will be playing with 23 years old in G-League where his passing skills won’t be used because it’s an ISO league.
Said we will still be good next year but would have liked to have Bazley.
Said Trey Young is a perfect example of why 1 and done is good.
He would have been 30rd pick if he went out of HS but the 1 and done made him at worst a top 10 pick.

He said he always roots and wishes well for his kids after they leave. Said he wishes Bazley well.

Good interview by JB.
I really wish Bazley would have talked to the SU coaching staff about this idea before he made his decision. I hope in the future he learns it’s better to do due diligence/research and talk to as many people as possible before making a major decision like this.

Him telling everyone we are going to be good is going to inflate expectations here and people are going to be angry when we can't beat elite teams again.
Good doesn't have to mean we will be beating elite teams regularly.
That is your definition of good. Not what good means to most of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom