JB on his future and this year's team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on his future and this year's team

Yup, JB is going to be 73 and I’ll be 74. Did you know that 73 and 74 is the new 63 and 64?

A fellow SU grad and I, friends of Jim, used to pick him up at Bradley Airport around 5 P.M. the day before the game when we were in the Big East playing Connecticut. The team would go to the Marriott and we would drive him to games of recruits he had in his pocket for the next five hours then have a late dinner.

I have never been in the company of someone so full of energy and optimism and basketball knowledge. And he’s still got that same energy, attitude, optimism but most of all basketball knowledge.

When he says: “We have a 7-2 guy who’s a junior now, Paschal,” Boeheim said. “He knows what to do, he knows our system. He’s a very good defensive player. And we’ve got a freshman, Bourama Sidibe, who’s a very good defensive player. They’re weakness is offense, but we don’t need them on offense. We have very experienced guards, [USF graduate transfer Geno] Thorpe. We’ve got Tyus Battle, Frank Howard and other good freshman guards [Howard Washington], so our guards are good.

“Our forwards are very young, but they’re talented, Oshae Brissett, Matt Moyer and Marek Dolezaj from Slovakia. He’s an experienced, international player. So they’re young, but they’re talented.”….. take that as gospel.

Of course he hasn’t done anything but cement us as one of the most elite teams in high major division one schools. If you look at our recruits beginning with Pearl Washington you will see how many excellent players he recruited and because of those recruits Boeheim has guided the Orange to nine Big East regular season championships, five Big East Tournament championships, and 28 NCAA Tournament appearances, including three appearances in the national title game. In those games, the Orange lost to Indiana in 1987 on a last-second jump shot by Keith Smart, and to Kentucky in 1996, before defeating Kansas in 2003 with All-American Carmelo Anthony.

Sometimes when a situation in a thread is spoken about and debated I believe we lose sight of what he’s accomplished in his tenure here. He has more real wins than anyone – take away the NCAA’s voiding our victories. You can’t void them, we won all those games. I am anticipating an interesting next five years or more. How he deals with his son Buddy and the other players coming into this wonderful Syracuse University Basketball team will be very exciting to watch. How much this man has done for us is almost immeasurable. GO SU!

Yup, JB is going to be 73 and I’ll be 74. Did you know that 73 and 74 is the new 63 and 64?

A fellow SU grad and I, friends of Jim, used to pick him up at Bradley Airport around 5 P.M. the day before the game when we were in the Big East playing Connecticut. The team would go to the Marriott and we would drive him to games of recruits he had in his pocket for the next five hours then have a late dinner.

I have never been in the company of someone so full of energy and optimism and basketball knowledge. And he’s still got that same energy, attitude, optimism but most of all basketball knowledge.

When he says: “We have a 7-2 guy who’s a junior now, Paschal,” Boeheim said. “He knows what to do, he knows our system. He’s a very good defensive player. And we’ve got a freshman, Bourama Sidibe, who’s a very good defensive player. They’re weakness is offense, but we don’t need them on offense. We have very experienced guards, [USF graduate transfer Geno] Thorpe. We’ve got Tyus Battle, Frank Howard and other good freshman guards [Howard Washington], so our guards are good.

“Our forwards are very young, but they’re talented, Oshae Brissett, Matt Moyer and Marek Dolezaj from Slovakia. He’s an experienced, international player. So they’re young, but they’re talented.”….. take that as gospel.

Of course he hasn’t done anything but cement us as one of the most elite teams in high major division one schools. If you look at our recruits beginning with Pearl Washington you will see how many excellent players he recruited and because of those recruits Boeheim has guided the Orange to nine Big East regular season championships, five Big East Tournament championships, and 28 NCAA Tournament appearances, including three appearances in the national title game. In those games, the Orange lost to Indiana in 1987 on a last-second jump shot by Keith Smart, and to Kentucky in 1996, before defeating Kansas in 2003 with All-American Carmelo Anthony.

Sometimes when a situation in a thread is spoken about and debated I believe we lose sight of what he’s accomplished in his tenure here. He has more real wins than anyone – take away the NCAA’s voiding our victories. You can’t void them, we won all those games. I am anticipating an interesting next five years or more. How he deals with his son Buddy and the other players coming into this wonderful Syracuse University Basketball team will be very exciting to watch. How much this man has done for us is almost immeasurable. GO SU!

Curious for your thoughts here. Do you think that Buddy entering the program has re-energized JB? There is a clear momentum swing with recruiting picking up, but I also think that JB, who would never admit it or want to put the unnecessary pressure on his son, wants this to be a special time. Yes, the end of the coaching road is probably in sight and the program is coming through the end of an ugly tunnel from sanctions. However, this is starting to feel different. I think JB recognizes the moment. However, it could just be me being an overly attached fan who wants the fairy tale ending and has put blinders on to see what I want to see.

Curious for your thoughts here. Do you think that Buddy entering the program has re-energized JB? There is a clear momentum swing with recruiting picking up, but I also think that JB, who would never admit it or want to put the unnecessary pressure on his son, wants this to be a special time. Yes, the end of the coaching road is probably in sight and the program is coming through the end of an ugly tunnel from sanctions. However, this is starting to feel different. I think JB recognizes the moment. However, it could just be me being an overly attached fan who wants the fairy tale ending and has put blinders on to see what I want to see.
I think it's entirely possible that JB would have retired per the original schedule if Buddy had not turned out to be as high a caliber player as he did.

Geode

Yes, I do think that Buddy has renewed both Jim’s interest and energy and anticipation to a higher level than it already was.

Honestly, when he got off the plane it was GO immediately to any and all high schools to see recruits never stopping until his mission that night was accomplished be it two or three recruits. Jim has never lost any energy or interest in basketball. Prostate cancer slowed him physically for a tiny bit but not mentally - the wheels never stop turning. He’s going to want to see Buddy do well and the innate love and affection will be there but held in check until after each game ends and they are together privately. It will be very interesting to watch the interaction between them. There will be no room for many mistakes. From what I know of Jim and his treatment of players over the years is that he is a perfectionist. If you don’t do what he expects and has reviewed with you you’re off the court and he’s in your ear. You have to get it right. You see all those wins and NCAA tournament appearances - he’s gotten there by having you play the way he wants you to and you should.

We also have something important to him he’s excited about coming up with decisions from both Jalen Carey and Nate Robert’s on, I believe, Oct. 11 and 17. Jim loves a point who is accomplished coming in like Pearl was. Only there aren’t many like he was and the sanctions put a damper on what he could expect. Jim will admit that any player needs a year in any high major conference for seasoning, even 4 and 5 stars, especially in the Big East but more so in the ACC. With Pearl, Douglas, Mac others and most recently Battle who is not a point but certainly a player who knows basketball very well and plays it that way he doesn’t have that much teaching to do. Those types of players get Jim’s blood flowing faster and he’s ALL IN.

By now he’s already very ready to begin the season. He knows he doesn’t have the transfers he did last year and but is realistic and does know what he has. 2018 will IMHO be a better year but who knows there is no crystal ball I can look into like Cuse Legacy. The light at the end of the tunnel is there but Jim won’t see or pay any attention to it until Buddy is done. For me, like you, I am another Boeheim fan to the nines till he’s done. Watched him play with Dave and begin his amazing run as a coach and hopefully I will be here to see him complete that run. No matter who you are at SU if you are involved in, love or observe sport we will all be watching history and one of the most interesting stories happening in college basketball when his son arrives and is close by. Whether Buddy starts out of prep school is Jim’s call.

It’s going to be great! GOSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the insights. It will be fun and exciting to watch. Go Orange!

Geode

Yes, I do think that Buddy has renewed both Jim’s interest and energy and anticipation to a higher level than it already was.

Honestly, when he got off the plane it was GO immediately to any and all high schools to see recruits never stopping until his mission that night was accomplished be it two or three recruits. Jim has never lost any energy or interest in basketball. Prostate cancer slowed him physically for a tiny bit but not mentally - the wheels never stop turning He’s going to want to see Buddy do well and the innate love and affection will be there but held in check until after each game ends and they are together privately. It will be very interesting to watch the interaction between them. There will be no room for many mistakes. From what I know of Jim and his treatment of players over the years is that he is a perfectionist. If you don’t do what he expects and has reviewed with you you’re off the court and he’s in your ear. You have to get it right. You see all those wins and NCAA tournament appearances - he’s gotten there by having you play the way he wants you to and you should.

We also have something important to him he’s excited about coming up with decisions from both Jalen Carey and Nate Robert’s on, I believe, Oct. 11 and 17. Jim loves a point who is accomplished coming in like Pearl was. Only there aren’t many like he was and the sanctions put a damper on what he could expect. Jim will admit that any player needs a year in any high major conference for seasoning, even 4 and 5 stars, especially in the Big East but more so in the ACC. With Pearl, Douglas, Mac others and most recently Battle who is not a point but certainly a player who knows basketball very well and plays it that way he doesn’t have that much teaching to do. Those types of players get Jim’s blood flowing faster and he’s ALL IN.

By now he’s already very ready to begin the season. He knows he doesn’t have the transfers he did last year and but is realistic and does know what he has. 2018 will IMHO be a better year but who knows there is no crystal ball I can look into like Cuse Legacy. The light at the end of the tunnel is there but Jim won’t see or pay any attention to it until Buddy is done. For me like you another Boeheim fan to the nines till he’s done. Watched him play with Dave and begin his amazing run as a coach and hopefully and his coaching days. We are all going to be watching history and one of the most interesting stories happening in college basketball when his son arrives and is close by. Whether Buddy starts out of prep school is Jim’s call.

It’s going to be great! GOSU
I love all the information and opinions you give to us. Thank you! I am on record as worrying about his relationship with his Buddy. I know that father/son coach/player has happened before but our coach is extremely intense. Could you say a little more about what you think about that?

I love all the information and opinions you give to us. Thank you! I am on record as worrying about his relationship with his Buddy. I know that father/son coach/player has happened before but our coach is extremely intense. Could you say a little more about what you think about that?

bballbeadle

You’re welcome!

Say a bit more about his intensity in relation to? Buddy. I really can’t say how is intensity will affect Buddy. No one can until it happens on the court. He’s been playing at a high level for the City Rocks AAU team and has taken on the intensity of all his coaches and fans so far but no one will be as hard on him as his father – that, I can guarantee. I know Buddy has been raised, as we all can see, very well and has turned out a fine young man with great basketball skill both due to his upbringing by both Jim and Julie. I believe he will handle anything Jim could be in his face about, IMO.

I am going to try and explain more this way. How he got here. Genetics and practice – out of your mind workouts like you’re going to die workouts. Those athletes out there will understand that. If you are born with talent it has to be developed or you’re in the middle and don’t get too far.

I have two sons and a different relationship with both because they have two differently distinctly different personalities. My father was an Olympic 1500 meter long distance runner with a bachelors from NYU and a masters from Columbia. One thing his genes passed to me and on to the boys was a good mind that we had to develop but mostly athletics. We were all fortunate to receive this great gift not everyone does. All of us were all state athletes in high and prep school in either football, swimming, track or baseball. I walked on at SU and received a scholarship in football and my eldest played for Miami FL baseball and has a national championship ring. Those same kind of genetics Buddy and his brother has received from Jim’s father and Jim. But all of the above advantages you pay for as mentioned above and in very intense relationships when necessary. I was very hard on myself and both sons but Jim is a factor x 10 beyond me.

Did I answer your question sufficiently well?

OT

Jim enjoys good meals and would always expect us to know what the best restaurant in the area we were in at the end of his day. We would lean towards the better establishments. I had a list of those around the Hartford area and suburbs having eaten in many places we’d go. In private, Jim, at least at the many dinners we had after recruiting forays, is a totally different person. He would talk about the recruit minimally and keep what he thought about the kid to himself and then deflate have a drink and ask how I and my and his other friend from SU were. We of course wanted to talk BB but with respect to Jim we let it alone and watched and listened to him visibly, finally relax. It was always a good moment. GOSU!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom