Jesse Edwards is SO @#$& good | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards is SO @#$& good

And he's just starting to get comfortable and scratch the surface of his capabilities. Wow.
It’s so great to see him come along and really shine. I’ve always thought he had a pretty big upside as a center who could score on the interior with post moves and hooks, etc. He just needed to mature and get more comfortable. If KR had returned, I think he would have made a pretty big leap too. He’s starting from square one at SH having to learn their man to man and offensive systems.

Don't slap me, but he has the potential to be the best big man we've had since world famous house producer, DJ Rony

Would really like to see Jimmy make just one entry pass to Jesse. No trust there yet, but we’ve seen Jesse will make the right play.
Totally agree with this. Jimmy had multiple opportunities to pass to him n just kicked it back out top. One time in the first half thought Jesse had his guy sealed n Jimmy just stared at him for three seconds. Drove me nuts.

This is where Jesse needs to be more assertive and demand the ball. I think that’s the next step in his progression to an All Acc center which he looks very capable of being.

Totally agree with this. Jimmy had multiple opportunities to pass to him n just kicked it back out top. One time in the first half thought Jesse had his guy sealed n Jimmy just stared at him for three seconds. Drove me nuts.

This is where Jesse needs to be more assertive and demand the ball. I think that’s the next step in his progression to an All Acc center which he looks very capable of being.
Early in the game, JG lobbed a pretty good pass in to Jesse but Jesse either didn't see it or got hung up. Girard got pulled and got an earful from JB. I wasn't surprised that he didn't try again.

And he's just starting to get comfortable and scratch the surface of his capabilities. Wow.
I was huge on him all off season and said so on here often. That said, he has far outpaced where I thought he would be this year.

Yup.

It would benefit us to get him more shot attempts. That's too efficient. Shows we're underutilizing his talent.
He'd get the ball more if he gave it back more. That's the next step for him.

He was actually passed the ball on one screen and roll and scored.

He does benefit from the shooters, but his offensive game isn't much different than seasons past on a rate basis. He's on the court more and benefiting from increased confidence as well. He's got a superb feel for hitting that baby hook and push shot. And some damn good footwork.

I don’t see him getting doubled, so there is no reason he shouldn’t be getting at least 10-15 international touches per game.

Netherlands to Dewitt for two!

You don’t have to go crazy but he does need more touches on offense. He has shown that he has incredible touch and footwork around the basket.
Let’s credit Red Autry , too.

Jake touched on it earlier, but the simple fact that he generally keeps the ball high when he catches it is just so huge. His hands are still relatively weak, but he keeps it out of the reach of the defense and he goes up with it quickly when he needs to.

And as many have touched on, his defensive instincts have caught up to his length pretty nicely. He really just needs to continue working on his hands and his strength.

Such a jerky thing to say.
Meh, it's part of the problem we have in the program right now, IMHO. And I'm sure our Hall of Fame coach can take it. Player evaluation has been... weird... for a while. I'm glad in this case it worked out.

Execution was terrible, but I want him to keep looking for the opportunity to throw over the top to Edwards. The concept is good.
Agree completely. Good idea, but bad situation. Jesse would have had to run over two guys (if I remember correctly) to get to the ball.

I’m very glad we stumbled into him as a starter last year, despite much resistance.

I wouldn't say that we stumbled into him as a starter last year, Scooch. It is easy to forget now, but he was stuck in the Netherlands due to Covid and didn't work out with his teammates over the summer. By the time he got to the States, he was way behind. Then we had quarantines and practice suspensions. The plan was to redshirt him and both he and his parents were on board. They knew he needed the time to develop. It is true that he would not have played had Bourama been healthy, but it's also true that he is light years better now than he was last year. Last year he showed flashes but was still very raw. He has made a huge leap in the off-season.

I wouldn't say that we stumbled into him as a starter last year, Scooch. It is easy to forget now, but he was stuck in the Netherlands due to Covid and didn't work out with his teammates over the summer. By the time he got to the States, he was way behind. Then we had quarantines and practice suspensions. The plan was to redshirt him and both he and his parents were on board. They knew he needed the time to develop. It is true that he would not have played had Bourama been healthy, but it's also true that he is light years better now than he was last year. Last year he showed flashes but was still very raw. He has made a huge leap in the off-season.
I get that he was behind, totally understand that. But he got 23 minutes in that game vs. Miami in mid-January and scored 7 with 6 boards. Then he didn't see meaningful minutes again for 5 weeks, where he had back-to-back 8 rebound games. I found it all immensely frustrating, knowing that the team was desperate to play a real center, and we had one planted on the bench for 2 months who contributed meaningfully in the rare instances he got PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom