Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse

Just going by what you typed. View attachment 199947
Alrighty, here's how we'll handle this.

We need a 4th scholarship guard that is not Chaz Owens, because while he received a scholarship and therefore meets a strict technical definition of being a scholarship player, his recruiting rankings and scholarship offers suggest that he is a player that if not for connection to the program via his parentage, would have been a head scratching addition to any program in the ACC and does not project to contribute to the program in a way we expect from scholarship recipients, and rather, projects to and has already proven to make the types of contributions expected of walkons (ie garbage time blow out minutes, sideline dances, etc.)...

:gasping breath:

...furthermore, given the risk to injury of our top three guards, and that in an ideal scenario competitive practices require a minimum of 4 guards of a somewhat similar skill level or potential similar skill level, which nothing in Chaz Owens' player profile suggests he has, I submit that if the plan is to roll with Chaz as our 4th guard, we have chosen precarious depth for no seemingly logical reason.

The people who think Owens is more then just a walk-on who got an extra scholarship
My last word on the subject. He isn't a walk-on. He has a scholarship. Period.

Alrighty, here's how we'll handle this.

We need a 4th scholarship guard that is not Chaz Owens, because while he received a scholarship and therefore meets a strict technical definition of being a scholarship player, his recruiting rankings and scholarship offers suggest that he is a player that if not for connection to the program via his parentage, would have been a head scratching addition to any program in the ACC and does not project to contribute to the program in a way we expect from scholarship recipients, and rather, projects to and has already proven to make the types of contributions expected of walkons (ie garbage time blow out minutes, sideline dances, etc.)...

:gasping breath:

...furthermore, given the risk to injury of our top three guards, and that in an ideal scenario competitive practices require a minimum of 4 guards of a somewhat similar skill level or potential similar skill level, which nothing in Chaz Owens' player profile suggests he has, I submit that if the plan is to roll with Chaz as our 4th guard, we have chosen precarious depth for no seemingly logical reason.
Well, why didn't you say that? ;)

Girard has to be that guy who finds the open man and makes the offense go. Also, what about Jimmy? Isn’t he supposed to be a good passer with good vision? I know his assist totals aren’t super high but he was asked to score more at Cornell.
Sorry I was answering who could drive by people. Jimmy is a good passer. Joe will never be that guy. Torrence could be put it will be tough to show at 6 min a game

If Jimmy tries to play like Marek last year we are screwed.
I am glad for JB he gets both of his sons but I don’t think Jimmy should start here and he should have to earn his minutes and by Jb’s standards he should get backup minutes which aren’t a lot.

Swider and Benny should start.
If Edwards loses minutes to Jimmy that will be garbage.
Defense used to matter. It’s funny what could change that.

Im Out The Simpsons GIF by Tyler

I need a disclaimer that after 630 on a Friday evening and being a few drinks in( still a couple weeks till Keto starts) that all posts likely have a comedic slant and are usually low on the serious meter.
I'm eating a keto pizza right now.

As pizza it's disappointing.

As keto pizza it does the job.

Look, again I don't want it to sound like I'm ripping the kid.

But Tyus Battle's dad said that he thought it was huge for Tyus to have to go up against Elijah Hughes in practice every day.

I think Torrence will push our starting guards in practice.

Do we actually expect Owens to?

How close is Owens to actually getting minutes? How many guys would JB go to first before he calls Owens off the bench?

I'm guessing it's all of the active scholarship players.

I don't understand what exactly people are disagreeing with on this one.

Does anyone have any expectation at all that Owens next season should be on the floor in a competitive game?

I don't see how.

That's what I'm talking about. That's why I think we need a 4th viable guard. Or a guard that's good enough that he bumps one of the current three down a spot. So we a) have an additional option that's realistically playable and b) so we have more competitive practices.

And to be clear, I like having Owens on the team! I'm fine with him having a spot. But to call him the 4th scholarship guard doesn't make sense.

We have three centers all with good potential and surely one of them will emerge as a competent starter. We have three forwards, two with plenty of experience and a third who was a five star guy. We have three guards, two of whom will be starting for the third straight year and third who has both talent and experience.

That's going to make it tough to recruit a guy who is going to 'bump down' anyone. we're more likely to get Howard Washington-level players who will fill out they depth. His skill set is different but I think Chaz is on that level. And I think He's good enough to make a 5 on 5 scrimmage work.

But JB is not done assembling his roster. it will be interesting to see who he brings in: what position he'll play, how good he'll be and what his role will be on the team.

Dash I 10000% know for a fact that JB could have kept him. I know there was friction during the season with Kadary but that was because JB wasn't making adjustments with the lineup. Even the assistants were suggestion to JB to adjust it and he wasn't having it (and they never question him) It should have been the same scenario of when JB pulled the plug on Frank Howard and let Gil start and run the pg. JB has done it before. His ego got in the way. and ultimately led Kadary to have the mindset of screw this, I'm not about to be a backup to JG3 again next year

and I have no clue if you subscript to Francis's pod but he confirms it as well.
I make it a point to downplay anyone who claims 10000% knowledge. But that's just me.

If Jimmy tries to play like Marek last year we are screwed.
I am glad for JB he gets both of his sons but I don’t think Jimmy should start here and he should have to earn his minutes and by Jb’s standards he should get backup minutes which aren’t a lot.

Swider and Benny should start.
If Edwards loses minutes to Jimmy that will be garbage.
Defense used to matter. It’s funny what could change that.
Why not wait to see how the guys are playing before we jump to any conclusions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom