Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse

I've stated multiple times that I like having Owens on the team and have gone out of my way to be clear that in no way am I making any kind of disparaging remark about him as a person or his character, but from the simple and straightforward perspective of assessing him as a basketball talent only and the potential he brings to contribute meaningful minutes, he's not a player we can rely on or project to be successful, and that it would be nice as fans to have one more player with some more talent and upside at guard.

There is zero about that that should be controversial position.
You actually believe that Chaz is on the team for his fathers ego or something? I would think he has the resources to pay his sons tuition at any school. And don't you think that Chaz would rather be playing during his college days at a lower level than just being along for the ride as some kind of family mascot? When his father said he is returning, I believe that the coaching staff said they wanted him to come back because he has showed that he can play at this level. I can not believe how unfair you are to this guy.

I've stated multiple times that I like having Owens on the team and have gone out of my way to be clear that in no way am I making any kind of disparaging remark about him as a person or his character, but from the simple and straightforward perspective of assessing him as a basketball talent only and the potential he brings to contribute meaningful minutes, he's not a player we can rely on or project to be successful, and that it would be nice as fans to have one more player with some more talent and upside at guard.

Chaz being on scholarship has ZERO to do with having another player compete for playing time as a guard.

The question is this, if pressed into duty is he good enough to contribute in a meaningful way to wins this year. If the answer is probably not yet a another guard to compete for playing time would be very helpful and inn case of injury or illness a need

The question is this, if pressed into duty is he good enough to contribute in a meaningful way to wins this year. If the answer is probably not yet a another guard to compete for playing time would be very helpful and inn case of injury or illness a need
The coaching staff must think so.

I can have an opinion based on 3 years of seeing Jimmy’s play and his stats and comparing that to Marek.

This is a messageboard for opinions.
If Jimmy plays a lot IMO it means either JB has forced minutes for him or one of the other 2 forwards has greatly underachieved.
If we play Jimmy at the 5 for anything more than backup minutes the defense being atrocious will happen I believe.

I am happy for JB that he gets to coach both of his sons but I don’t believe his son is going to have a major impact and I hope he has to earn the minutes he gets rather than JB force them for him and I don’t believe JB deserves the benefit of the doubt in us assuming that will be case.
He does what he wants.
Of course he does what he wants. Doesn't every coach?

The anger and frustration that comes out in some of the negative posts here just wow. I would be exhausted and ultimately need to spend a couple years away from being a fan of this team if I was that upset and cynical. It is honestly not worth it when being a fan just makes me miserable. This coming from someone who absolutely has plenty of criticisms and complaints. I don't know how y'all do it every day.

He definitely can play - if he plays 35 minutes we may have to change the conversation.
He’s “extremely fast” according to his Cornell coach. So we have that going for us. Lol

Is there any possibility that he's good enough to play?

With Benny coming and Cole deciding last week to come knowing Jimmy was likely Cuse bound I think Jim was likely up front with Jimmy.

That said If we had this guy we would have been ecstatic last year. Ivy league player who is 6'9" 233 pounds.

STATS
2018-19
2017-18
2016-17

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Instead we get this guy 6'9" 230 pounds. some tradeoffs for sure, but take the names out of it and the stats tell a similar story, albeit their strengths lie in different areas.

STATS
2019-20
2018-19
2017-18

With Benny coming and Cole deciding last week to come knowing Jimmy was likely Cuse bound I think Jim was likely up front with Jimmy.

That said If we had this guy we would have been ecstatic last year. Ivy league player who is 6'9" 233 pounds.

STATS
2018-19
2017-18
2016-17

Instead we get this guy 6'9" 230 pounds. some tradeoffs for sure, but take the names out of it and the stats tell a similar story, albeit their strengths lie in different areas.

STATS
2019-20
2018-19
2017-18

Cole, Jimmy and Benny all do some things the exiting forwards don't. What is lacked in foot speed is replaced in having legit size, 3 level scoring and physicality. With Benny you have a guy more athletic than anyone from last year or this year.

Both Cole and Jimmy are capable post scorers if not their primary game.

Cole and Jimmy lack some of the lateral athleticism of guys like Bras and QG ( assuming he leaves) and some of the footspeed. They are decent athletes otherwise and can get up and down the court and finish above the rim just fine.

Both guys can attack a closeout with the dribble. Jimmy is probably the most skilled at this but Cole isn't a slouch. Cole has as quick if not quicker release than Buddy and gets set extremely quickly. Both set good screens with high IQ.

Not equating this to wins or losses but these are valuable assets and just add the hard working aspect here. Benny is also an extremely hard worker and of course elite talent. I so want QG back because it's a really good forward rotation probably the best in the ACC or in the argument.

If someone is down on our forwards I think it's just the disposition you choose to carry more than it being logical.

This is only Coppin State (posting this again as someone already did earlier) but watch what he is doing not who.

Jimmy scores as a cutter, as a driver, hitting s jump shot and battling down low. There are some important Xs and Os and fundamentals here.

As a cutter and a driver his first step is very fast for his size. You might joke about the comment made by Earl, but just watch the understanding and the quickness of attacking his defender with a quick first step and quick change of direction.

He gets to hoop and into his shot quickly with and without the ball. Decisive and quick action is something we don't do enough of at times. Also- he is strong enough that once the defender is on his hip Jimmy isn't getting out of position or losing having a good angle.

Now as a lefty, he presents a more difficult guard because not many defenders are used to that. So like a good shooter when the defender commits to which hand he is going to put up or drops his right shoulder to defend the drive, Jimmy switches to the right hand to get a better look and have an open look. Its a slick move and not one you see from many lefties. It's something CJ didn't do.

As a rebounder watch him on the second jump. He doesn't have a crazy vertical but he is getting his hand on the ball with a very quick second jump. This is something good rebounders do see QG and Oshae etc.

Overall if you watch him for what he does and not who it's against everytime you see a good basketball player who can add value and not just a kid from the Ivy League.

There is specific action and looks other guys will get from having Cole or Jimmy on the floor. It's basketball Xs and Os.

This is only Coppin State (posting this again as someone already did earlier) but watch what he is doing not who.

Jimmy scores as a cutter, as a driver, hitting s jump shot and battling down low. There are some important Xs and Os and fundamentals here.

As a cutter and a driver his first step is very fast for his size. You might joke about the comment made by Earl, but just watch the understanding and the quickness of attacking his defender with a quick first step and quick change of direction.

He gets to hoop and into his shot quickly with and without the ball. Decisive and quick action is something we don't do enough of at times. Also- he is strong enough that once the defender is on his hip Jimmy isn't getting out of position or losing having a good angle.

Now as a lefty, he presents a more difficult guard because not many defenders are used to that. So like a good shooter when the defender commits to which hand he is going to put up or drops his right shoulder to defend the drive, Jimmy switches to the right hand to get a better look and have an open look. Its a slick move and not one you see from many lefties. It's something CJ didn't do.

As a rebounder watch him on the second jump. He doesn't have a crazy vertical but he is getting his hand on the ball with a very quick second jump. This is something good rebounders do see QG and Oshae etc.

Overall if you watch him for what he does and not who it's against everytime you see a good basketball player who can add value and not just a kid from the Ivy League.

There is specific action and looks other guys will get from having Cole or Jimmy on the floor. It's basketball Xs and Os.

wasn’t there also another highlight video of him posted that was from several games including against us? I can’t find that.

wasn’t there also another highlight video of him posted that was from several games including against us? I can’t find that.

Yeah I was looking for that too and couldn't hunt it down.

I know there’s been some discussion regarding the lack of shooting from Jimmy, but he did shoot 35% from 3 his sophomore season when he was not go to guy for Cornell. I think he should be able to shoot 35-38% here being a role player and not the main guy.

I know there’s been some discussion regarding the lack of shooting from Jimmy, but he did shoot 35% from 3 his sophomore season when he was not go to guy for Cornell. I think he should be able to shoot 35-38% here being a role player and not the main guy.

He also shouldn't need to be putting up more than maybe 3-4 a game at max.

Great summary, Ozoo.

I’ve compared Junior to KONG, and Marek, and he’s got a lot of the former (only with more skills & shooting, maybe less D?) and a bit of the latter (less passing & handling, but with a 3ball, and 20+ lbs of muscle

KONG averaged 4/1/5 in his 2 seasons here.

Doley averaged 10/3/6 in his last 2 seasons.

BOTH were HUGE fan favorites for their hustle, grind, high hoops IQ, and solid all-around games.

There’s no reason Junior can’t be similar, and give us something like 10/2/5 as our 3rd Forward.

Might even score a bit more, as he can and will shoot 3’s, and will likely get a lot a clean looks with D’s focusing on Buddy & Benny.

PS - Braswell, another board favorite, averaged 4 & 2 this past season.
And even with him heating up late in the year, still shot < 30% from 3.

Cole and Junior are BOTH huge upgrades over Earl.

That might be high.

Jimmy can score inside. Looking at the roster, he's probably the guy best equipped to do that. Hopefully he can be our "easy bucket down low" guy.

Good point I started typing 2-3 a game first and that is probably more like it.

If Jimmy plays a lot, it doesn't mean that the others have greatly underachieved. That is exactly my point. We don't know if Jimmy has blown up late. Like his brother just did. That is why we need to wait a bit on making decisions.

That might be high.

Jimmy can score inside. Looking at the roster, he's probably the guy best equipped to do that. Hopefully he can be our "easy bucket down low" guy.

THIS.

He’s got a VERY solid post game.
Homeless man’s Kevin McHale.
Really solid pivot moves.

Could run some sweet high/low action w him and Jesse/CDB/Cole/Q?

For all those who have said “my kingdom for a drop-step” -
prepare to turn over the keys to Junior

That might be high.

Don't underestimate Cole being capable catching it on the block too although he is a 3pt shooter first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom