jimmy boeheim | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

jimmy boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's 60 points -- rock fight central. I think we need more from Benny.

And I don't share your optimism about that lineup being "good enough" scoring without Q.
It’s closer to 70 ... even if Q comes back and gets us 16 a game, he will take PT from Benny/Swider/ Jimmy - guys who are scorers anyway.

we just have a ceiling at the 1 and the 5, points wise. It’s really hard to imagine Joe giving us more than 12ppg and the centers combining for more than 10ppg.

We can nitpick the PT of Q/Benny/Swider/Jimmy but I think the truth is, 80 minutes will be available for those 3 (or 4 guys) and I think they’ll score the same amount of points, roughly, whether Q comes back or not. Q may give us 15, but if he wasn’t here, chances are the other 3 combine to make up those 15ppg with the extra 30mpg of PT that will be available without Q.

Q definitely adds a different dimension and I hope he comes back, but from a pure PPG as a team, I don’t think he changes the outlook much. He absolutely helps our rebounding and defense though.

The ceiling of our ability to score from the PG and C spot is what will keep this team in the 65ppg range. Granted there will be some games where Joe will go off, but for the most part we know what to expect from him, points-output wise

Yeah, I'm a little unsettled on the team.

We don't have the defenders up top to get into rock fights.

I'm also not sure if we have the playmaking needed to be a high-scoring, efficient team on offense.

If Q comes back I don't think he solves either of those problems.

I didn't think we had the playmakers needed to be a high-scoring, efficient team on offense this past year, but we were 6th in the ACC in offensive efficiency and 5th in scoring.

It’s closer to 70 ... even if Q comes back and gets us 16 a game, he will take PT from Benny/Swider/ Jimmy - guys who are scorers anyway.

we just have a ceiling at the 1 and the 5, points wise. It’s really hard to imagine Joe giving us more than 12ppg and the centers combining for more than 10ppg.

We can nitpick the PT of Q/Benny/Swider/Jimmy but I think the truth is, 80 minutes will be available for those 3 (or 4 guys) and I think they’ll score the same amount of points, roughly, whether Q comes back or not. Q may give us 15, but if he wasn’t here, chances are the other 3 combine to make up those 15ppg with the extra 30mpg of PT that will be available without Q.

Q definitely adds a different dimension and I hope he comes back, but from a pure PPG as a team, I don’t think he changes the outlook much. He absolutely helps our rebounding and defense though.

The ceiling of our ability to score from the PG and C spot is what will keep this team in the 65ppg range. Granted there will be some games where Joe will go off, but for the most part we know what to expect from him, points-output wise

What I fear are:
  • That type of lineup will be geared to whip up on the preseason caliber opponents we play
  • ...and simultaneously struggle to put points on the board against the upper echelon of the ACC
  • These aren't the type of defensive stalwarts we're accustomed to, who are able to win rock fights
  • Playmaking is going to be an issue [especially if Benny isn't on the floor, to help with ball handling]
  • So is handling full court, on-the-ball defensive pressure
  • The last two points suppress scoring, as well

I didn't think we had the playmakers needed to be a high-scoring, efficient team on offense this past year, but we were 6th in the ACC in offensive efficiency and 5th in scoring.
Right.

With Marek and Kadary.

Which we now don't have.

Not sure where it comes from. That's a lot to lay on Benny. A lot to put on Torrence. A lot to expect huge improvement from the starting guards.

What I fear are:
  • That type of lineup will be geared to whip up on the preseason caliber opponents we play
  • ...and simultaneously struggle to put points on the board against the upper echelon of the ACC
  • Those personnel aren't the type of defensive stalwarts we're accustomed to, who are able to win the rock fights
  • Playmaking is going to be an issue

And our spacing only matters as much as we can take advantage of that spacing. If no one can attack the rim off the dribble, well, then we are just guys standing around the perimeter.

And our spacing only matters as much as we can take advantage of that spacing. If no one can attack the rim off the dribble, well, then we are just guys standing around the perimeter.

Kadary would have been perfect with a lineup of four shooters. Even just him replacing Joe as the primary lead guard would have vastly changed next season's offensive potential. He was perfectly suited to do all of the things you suggest we need / need to avoid.

Damn.

Kadary would have been perfect with a lineup of four shooters.

Damn.

Just so I don't get yelled at for my Kadary-stanning, this is why I keep saying Joe needs to become our poor man's Kyle Lowry.

That's the guy he needs to watch tape of. Hope he can embrace the PG role and really come back in shape next year.

This is going to be the major issue, that I see. A bunch of dudes just standing around passing the ball around the perimeter till the shot clock winds down and they have to fire off a terrible shot

His numbers are almost identical to what Seth Towns were last off season and markedly better than Patrick Tape. I'd say if his last name wasn't Boeheim this board would be screaming we have to get this kid!
The only resemblance between the two is they played in the Ivy. And Towns was injured.

What I fear are:
  • These aren't the type of defensive stalwarts we're accustomed to, who are able to win rock fights
  • Playmaking is going to be an issue [especially if Benny isn't on the floor, to help with ball handling]
I am more bullish on this team than most here. I was more bullish on buddy than most here (really, almost anyone). But you hit on my fear with this coming year's team. And that is against full court pressure defense. Who do we rely on to break the press? But this team will score. And it will be better on defense than some think. Jess alone does that.

Potentially. Not sure how one equals the other, but maybe.
Correct me if I’m wrong here...I thought your point was he played well against us because he knew how to exploit the zone.

As the fourth or fifth option on offense, I suspect he will get a lot of open looks, which should make him an efficient scorer. (Obviously we won’t need him to score 20+ points per game.)

I find it violative of my privacy that someone filmed me doing my laundry. Please stop. Creeper.

You may want to talk to your family. This was posted publicly under "fitted sheet failures"

Correct me if I’m wrong here...I thought your point was he played well against us because he knew how to exploit the zone.

As the fourth or fifth option on offense, I suspect he will get a lot of open looks, which should make him an efficient scorer. (Obviously we won’t need him to score 20+ points per game.)
Yeah, just not sure we can make that leap until we see him playing against man to man defenses in the ACC. You may very well be correct, but we will have to see.

Just so I don't get yelled at for my Kadary-stanning, this is why I keep saying Joe needs to become our poor man's Kyle Lowry.

That's the guy he needs to watch tape of. Hope he can embrace the PG role and really come back in shape next year.

Yeah let's be honest - Joe and Symir will determine how far/good this team can be. I think we have the offensive firepower either way to be better record wise next year than this but to me that is maybe in the good side of the bubble all year and likely missing out on the wins that get us top 15- to top 30. Jesse's continued growth and presence essentially breathed life into the defense at the end of the year similar to BS the previous year.

We have to learn how to feed the post. You have 2 guys in Cole and JJ and maybe even Jesse who can make a move and get a bucket in the post. It's possible Benny brings this somewhat too and then we know QG well in that regard. The 3 ball will be a big deal for us but we are going to have guys who can score in the post. If we do that and a lot of that is Joe/Symir getting it there, the ceiling is raised quite a bit given the 3 pt shooting to go with.

Yeah, just not sure we can make that leap until we see him playing against man to man defenses in the ACC. You may very well be correct, but we will have to see.

A year without hoops, ACC competition and a brand new team to mesh with. All of that to me points to it's going to take a little bit. He certainly could surprise and I expect he will be valuable but this is what I question too. Even quality players need some time to adjust and most quality players don't have to sit a whole year without even practicing.

This year's Iowa in terms of ball movement leading to points and the ability to shoot anyone out of the gym but without the freak in Garza to eat offensive boards. Defense will be better too if Jesse/Bourama/Frank are ready to roll.

We won't be athletic but there won't be a team in the country that can match our shooting. Even scarier if Joe has a nice summer of development and matures as a player going into next season. And if Q comes back.

This year's Iowa in terms of ball movement leading to points and the ability to shoot anyone out of the gym but without the freak in Garza to eat offensive boards. Defense will be better too if Jesse/Bourama/Frank are ready to roll.

We won't be athletic but there won't be a team in the country that can match our shooting. Even scarier if Joe has a nice summer of development and matures as a player going into next season. And if Q comes back.

Garza also garnered a massive amount of defensive attention, which opened things up for his teammates.

All kids will say that publicly
and all we can do right now is assume he is saying what is really going on in his head right? I am not going to assume that he is feeding lip service...not yet.

Garza also garnered a massive amount of defensive attention, which opened things up for his teammates.
Absolutely. Not saying we'll have an offense as good as Iowa's this season, hopefully it didn't come across that way.

Just that you can be a very good college basketball team with below average athleticism if you have the shooting and willingness to pass the ball. And I think our defense will be fine with a real center playing a majority of the minutes. Not as good as we've seen in the past but considerably better than this season. Rebounding will be better with a center, too.

In sum: I think we'll be good. Not elite but a top 15/20 ceiling and a relatively high floor.

Absolutely. Not saying we'll have an offense as good as Iowa's this season, hopefully it didn't come across that way.

Just that you can be a very good college basketball team with below average athleticism if you have the shooting and willingness to pass the ball. And I think our defense will be fine with a real center playing a majority of the minutes. Not as good as we've seen in the past but considerably better than this season. Rebounding will be better with a center, too.

In sum: I think we'll be good. Not elite but a top 15/20 ceiling and a relatively high floor.

Agree with you and Dasher [earlier] that Jesse playing center full time will have a positive net impact on both team defense and rebounding.

For being ostensibly a finesse player, he had impressive RPM numbers -- and his rebounding passed the eye test, as well. And if Bourama were to ever bounce back and be able to play good minutes in a more limited capacity [to protect / not put excessive wear and tear on his shaky knees], then we'd be rock solid in the middle, without much [any?] dropoff.

I heard exactly the same thing last year when we found out Griff was heading here. Will believe it when I see it. Joe shooting 32% next year won't make us that hard to match.

The only resemblance between the two is they played in the Ivy. And Towns was injured.
Numbers from Towns last full season. I’m simply pointing out that Jimmy’s numbers in his last full season in the Ivy are almost identical to one of the most sought after transfers last year. Numbers aren’t everything but your post branded them as not impressive

I heard exactly the same thing last year when we found out Griff was heading here. Will believe it when I see it. Joe shooting 32% next year won't make us that hard to match.
Jackson is the best shooter in the country and Swider shot 40% this year. No team is matching that.

Joe getting to 35% or Benny/Jimmy being a consistent deep threat is gravy.

I know some will appreciate my word choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors