Jimmy | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Jon Scheyer and Hubert Davis? The model is set.

Whether you like it or not, it's going to be one of those 3 guys. I will be blown away if they go outside the family. Whether it works, who knows. It all may be an elaborate plan for either Buddy or Jimmy to take over the family business some day too. I would assume one of those guys has coaching aspirations.
RF2044 please

Whether you like it or not, it's going to be one of those 3 guys. I will be blown away if they go outside the family. Whether it works, who knows. It all may be an elaborate plan for either Buddy or Jimmy to take over the family business some day too. I would assume one of those guys has coaching aspirations.

I will sign off from the thread with the following:

- I’d be thrilled to have Jimmy back as a 6th man on a typical, athletic Syracuse team. Guy would’ve made those Howard-Brissett-Battle teams so much better.

- Can we recruit guys who can play offense and defense again?

Andrew White team : all offense, no defense.

Next few years: all defense, no offense.

Next few years: all offense, no defense.

Can’t we recruit some good athletes that can also shoot, dribble, and pass anymore?

Joe has been better than Buddy this year.
Joe has to play PG.
He has been better than Buddy. Buddy has taken more shots so has more PPG.
Joe advanced starts have him 3.9 BPM. Buddy is 3.4 BPM.

Our problem isn’t Joe. It’s that we don’t have a PG.
I think Joe could score as much as Buddy if he was just playing SG with a PG.

I don’t want another year of Joe and Buddy.
Joe Girard is not a PG.

He doesn't handle the ball well enough, doesn't pass well enough and is not athletic enough.

If I had to make a choice, I'd take Buddy over Joe in heartbeat.

Last edited:
I’m struggling to see how Buddy and Jimmy would even fit into the picture scholarship wise...our recruiting class was shaped because we were counting on those two to leave after this year.

I always felt like Cole was/is coming back for a 5th, he’s certainly not getting drafted and he seems to love being at Syracuse and since he’s only been here one year, I see him taking advantage of the extra year. And then after Cole it’s Joe, Symir, Benny, Jesse, Frank, Bol, Chaz and the 5 croots. Obviously people can transfer out, but hypothetically let’s say all these guy stay. What’s gonna give?

Could or would they go off scholarship since their coaches sons? Do players taking the extra year count against scholarship?

I think at this point we gotta get Chaz off a scholarship...unless he really is putting in major work or something and is ready to contribute next year, otherwise he’s just taking up a scholly we could be use for an impact (athletic) transfer.

Only way I am okay with a HCIW type of deal is if we follow the Purdue model.

Purdue hired Matt Painter from the outside and let Gene Keady have a sendoff year. Painter was the lead assistant and HCIW he recruited and Keady got 1 last year.
Painter took a demotion for one year for his legendary mentor to have a last year.

If we did that I would be okay with a HCIW but I don’t want a current assistant like Duke and UNC did.

See, the problem with this is that we already did this once before.
Except somebody didn't go along with it - and kept his job somehow, even though he landed us on probation.

I would be okay getting Jimmy back for another year IF Cole goes elsewhere, because having both of them is way too much of a liability on defense...especially with Buddy and Joe up top. There’s just not enough athleticism between the four, even just three of them at the same time is a bit of a stretch to be able to bang with more athletic teams.

The only way I would see running it back with the same squad working out, is if we drastically change our rotations and have everyone play 20-25 minutes, 30 tops and frequently make subs to keep guys fresh and balance our shooting with athleticism. We would need Benny taking a jump and starting in place of Cole or Jimmy and then we would need Frank, Symir and at least two of our freshman seriously ready to play at a high level.

Listen, I’m okay with this scenario if JB leaves after 2023 season. However, a coach in waiting needs to be named. How Duke is handling coach K stepping down is absolutely perfect. The recruiting takes no hit. There’s no guessing games. There’s no drama. It is perfectly seamless. This is my main concern that JB will be so stubborn that he won’t allow that to happen. If we follow the Duke plan, I don’t care what happens with this roster for next year

I'm sorry but we don't have the candidates in house to make me think this would be anything other than a shot in the dark.

At least Mike Hopkins, by this point, had been an assistant coach on a couple Olympic teams and was one of the top recruiters in America.

I haven't seen anything half as impressive out of the 3 guys currently alongside Jim on the bench, at least not since they were players themselves.

I would be okay getting Jimmy back for another year IF Cole goes elsewhere, because having both of them is way too much of a liability on defense...especially with Buddy and Joe up top. There’s just not enough athleticism between the four, even just three of them at the same time is a bit of a stretch to be able to bang with more athletic teams.

The only way I would see running it back with the same squad working out, is if we drastically change our rotations and have everyone play 20-25 minutes, 30 tops and frequently make subs to keep guys fresh and balance our shooting with athleticism. We would need Benny taking a jump and starting in place of Cole or Jimmy and then we would need Frank, Symir and at least two of our freshman seriously ready to play at a high level.

Sorry but I think Cole is a better player than Jimmy. Better shooter, better rebounder, better defender.

You’ve got to be kidding me. How are they going to keep all these recruits if they come back? They sold Justin Taylor on Buddy leaving. They are already bailing on this year and want another year? Benny needs to start next year bottom line
Justin Taylor isn’t going to be ready to be a starter as a freshman. Maybe a bench piece but not a starter. He needs more development.

Sorry but I think Cole is a better player than Jimmy. Better shooter, better rebounder, better defender.
I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think he’s only marginally better in any case, where as Jimmy does things better than Cole...but all I’m saying is having both of them in the same starting lineup is not working out, along with having Buddy and Joe up top. Jimmy would forsure need to become 6th man if he comes back. But for this to happen Benny really needs to get it together and take the jump we all know he has potential for. WE NEED BENNY PLAYING AT A HIGH LEVEL. That’s if we want to be successful any time soon.. he’ll need to be ready to be a dawg his sophomore year and play big minutes. Absolutely need his athleticism out there..

To be brutally honest - the program is in decline and I don't believe it will improve until we have a new head coach.

I'm willing to give the program some down years with some promise that things can get better.

Rolling it back next season kicks the can down the road and makes it harder to recruit.

The straight honest truth is we need to move on.

Honestly, if Boeheim does this, and his sons are back, then Wildhack has to make this the Farewell Tour, and we have to be looking for HC candidates all season long. A legit national search.

GMAC gets the job over Red who leaves and Jimmy moves into the GMAC seat with Joe replacing Griffin the next year. It is all part of the master Dharma Initiative type plan that JW and JB have been working on.

Just kill me now.

The fact that he is mentioning specific players by name that could leave is concerning

Keep that in house, its like hes already telegraphing the departures. Its your job to retain them. He says "who knows" well your the head coach, its your job to know and fix.

Ugh. How do you expect to motivate Benny with comments like that in the paper? Or how about Frank? We still need those guys, Jim. You don't have enough kids to play all FIVE positions.

Lol this was brought to my attention last week from a friend. It’s going to happen so everyone needs to buckle up. And I’m gonna let you know if this happens, rumor is Buddy will come back as well
No to Jimmy (very good offensive player, huge liability on defense). But I wouldn’t mind Buddy coming back and then building around him by hitting the portal to get an athletic true PG who can get into the lane and score, an athletic scoring wing to play SF and a stretch Four with some real athleticism. Joe can come off the bench. I don’t think any of the freshman will be ready for more than a bench role.

Last edited:

Then if annual attendance gets down around 10-12,000 per game, Wildhack should be fired, right?

So who is the Craig Esherick on the current staff as a bridge for Jimmy III or Buddy down the road.

That would be Gerry, obviously - unprepared but loyal lieutenant, thrown to the wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom