JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

Super happy. I think it's a much needed start of an infusion of talent and overall athleticism.

But I'm really happy for our coaches, especially Red, that they landed this kid first week on the job.

If Judah comes back, maybe Jesse, a few other pieces fall into place, I think we're going to be looking competitive even in Maui.

One day at a time, but today is a big win and it gets some positive press for us as well.

the year McMahon started half of the games, he shot 44 percent from 3.

I don’t believe Joe can shoot 44 percent from 3.
Who knows, people thought his 3pt% was going to crater this year as he took on the volume from Buddy and while it was lower, it was still decent in the ACC.

From the little I've heard and the few times I saw him play this season he may have more of a 1's mentality than Judah. But JJ is a better shooter even if he didn't show it this season. Judah is a better driver and has a better mid range game. I think they'll fit together nicely with whatever Red has planned. He is another player that can get his own shot and that is always nice.
I picture JJ more of a one also, but I don't think it matters. I can see them both taking turns as lead guard. Kind of like Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell. Those two average 7.9 and 4.7 assists respectively while averaging 22 and 27 points a game.

I'm not saying our guys will ever reach the NBA, but having two guys like that playing together, will benefit once they jel.

Bazely was Grif
My point was that Boeheim wasn't an impediment to getting them. I have no idea who was 'lead' on any of that stuff.

2:40 for the Dome Dunk
That video also has interesting statistical nuggets... For instance, JJ Starling is a stellar isolation player and is also very effective coming off ball screens. Depending on how much Autry keeps JB's half court offense, Starling should fit in really well. Not so good off spot up shooting (this is borne out by the eye test and other statistics).

An aberration is that apparently he wasn't that good in transition. His skill set should make him an extremely dangerous transition player. It must have been his moribund teammates and coach dragging him down. ;)

Last edited:
A Judah + JJ starting backcourt makes me very happy. It’s been so very long since we’ve had that type of athleticism in our guards. It used to be a staple of SU basketball. Glad to see Red’s first move is to take a step toward that style of ball again.

I hope most of you guys are right, but I'm skeptical of a guard who only makes 29% of 3s and 63% of his FTs.

Considerable optimism here... warranted?
A guard playing 30 minutes a game scoring 12 pts//1.1 assist/game.
But it was ND...a team that was...NOT GOOD. JJ was a freshman.
Could be he struggled some like Bell did.. ALOT!!
I'm kind of tapping the brakes a bit right now.
BUT, if anybody can bring the best out of JJ, wouldn't it be Coaches Autry and GMac?

"My relationship with Coach Autry is very strong," Starling said. "That is a guy I know I can trust, and he isn't sugarcoating anything. He is going to allow his players to play with freedom and also instill confidence whenever they need it. We are going to push the ball in transition and play to the best of our abilities with the utmost confidence. I will most likely be a point guard and shooting guard, but I am willing to play whatever role is necessary for us to win games.

Love reading stuff like this

Play whatever role… when he already mentioned both PG and SG… suggests there is potentially another role to play. 3-guard offense with m2m on D?

I hope most of you guys are right, but I'm skeptical of a guard who only makes 29% of 3s and 63% of his FTs.
I get the reluctance to get excited. But as a Syracuse fan the past few years I think we should be able to get excited about getting a 5 star transfer that despite the numbers you quote from his freshman year was wanted by Alabama, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Tennessee, Auburn, Indiana and Oregon. Smile a little. Don't buy your 2024 FF tickets yet but enjoy getting some new talent added to the roster. Talent that despite the numbers you quote averaged 11.2 ppg as a freshman.

Amazing news. So the story behind the story is Boeheim was holding us back for these types of recruits/portal guys?

I'm trying to decipher how in less than a week we're suddenly cooking again with 5 stars. I guess his "last few days were better than the past 47" was something...
i mean boeheim kinda became a caricature of himself towards the end...he had all of these mantras/rules/"ways" that he wouldnt budge on...he became much more rigid than he was for most of his career in terms of X's and O's...and it just became a complex matrix of tangledness to thread the needle of curating good basketball...the end result was a worse team...that wasnt winning anymore.

...and recruits not wanting to get involved with that makes a lot of sense.

I am going to help you overcome the skepticism:
  • Mathematically, those sample sizes are smaller than small.
  • Starling was three makes from shooting the magical 33% at ND. Think about that.
  • He shot 76% from the FT line as a senior at La Lumiere - equally small sample to be fair.
  • He was playing injured for much of his freshman season.
  • He was quite young for the average freshman.
  • Better connected spiritually playing in his hometown at SU (family) after two years away.
  • Red's expertise is player development and I would say the same for Gerry and Griff.
I urge you to watch his game and worry less about the stat sheets, especially after just 1 year. Let alone the (intangible) buzz that this signing has already produced for Red and the fanbase.

I am going to help you overcome the skepticism:
  • Mathematically, those sample sizes are smaller than small.
  • Starling was three makes from shooting the magical 33% at ND. Think about that.
  • He shot 76% from the FT line as a senior at La Lumiere - equally small sample to be fair.
  • He was playing injured for much of his freshman season.
  • He was quite young for the average freshman.
  • Better connected spiritually playing in his hometown at SU (family) after two years away.
  • Red's expertise is player development and I would say the same for Gerry and Griff.
I urge you to watch his game and worry less about the stat sheets, especially after just 1 year. Let alone the (intangible) buzz that this signing has already produced for Red and the fanbase.
JJ shooting much better next season is the only thing that will overcome my skepticism. I watched him twice play against SU (with a mediocre defense) and was underwhelmed by his game.

But again, I hope you guys are right.

JJ had no presence behind hIm on defense. Having someone like Jesse can help you to improve your defense.

What do we know about the knee injuries? Anything? One time thing or might we have a chronic type issue?

Obviously I am happy for us, but I am especially happy for JJ and the Starling family. Great people and a very tight family. Dad was kinda hoping he’d play at SU originally and I’m sure that was so the family could watch him. JJ mentioned in the interview this morning how great it will be with his family watching and supporting him.

Another good thing is that if Judah stays they’ll be playing together which wouldn’t have happened if JJ originally chose SU. We don’t get Judah in that scenario and he’s probably playing at DePaul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom