JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights

*we* will all call it the dome.

JMA wireless is paying a lot for announcers and writers to refer to it with their name - and that’s good

Only loser is nostalgia and that’s overrated in sports building names

Great news. Program needs all the revenue it can get, this is an obvious and overdue way to do that.

And for those upset (which is super weird to me) just call it The Dome like you’ve probably been doing forever anyway.

I mean the place has a corporate name for the entirety of its existence. This ain’t like selling naming rights to Yankee Stadium or Soldier Field.

The utterly forgettable, manifestly soulless and completely uninspiring corporate moniker has arrived at a Dome near you.
Wouldn't it have been exciting if they just bought off Carrier and named it the Orange Dome or the Syracuse Dome?
Yah I know...gotta pay for the Field Turf somehow.
Its been named after a corporate sponser for 42 years. You realize that right?

I was worried someday it would become the Fuccillo Dome. "It's HUGE!"

I can deal with this. it's not like Jack Murphy Stadium, (named after the sportswriter who led the campaign to build it and get the Padres franchise for San Diego), to Qualcomm Stadium.

I had, and the fact there is a deal with a company in a dispute with gross just makes it better.
Yes, I think local people know who the company is.

They just opened a factory in a blighted area just south of downtown and Armory Square. Not very far from the university too. I think it is on the site of the Coyne Laundry facility. Coyne was of course also a big SU sponsor (Coyne Field).

Wish Dr Gross was more interested in getting JMA money for SUAD instead of for lining his pockets.

His legacy gets worse with each passing day…..

Its been named after a corporate sponser for 42 years. You realize that right?
IMHO not the same. Carrier at that time was a pedigreed local company with an international reputation whose product was a tangible thread in the American fabric (Willis Carrier). Carrier at one time employed thousands in Syracuse. My family’s glass company even did business with them. I can remember some of their community outreach whereby retired executives would speak at symposia at my high school (Henninger). It was a good and understandable fit. It was close to being warm and fuzzy embrace. The underwrote almost 10% of the cost - close to $3 million (under the auspices of United Technology as I remember). It was good corporate citizenship and a locally warm financial embrace.
This one w/JMA Wireless is purely mercenary and the company, as I said is just some soulless name conjuring images of invisible modernity and not especially relatable. Almost humorous like KFC Yum Center or Tony Macaroni Arena.
Carrier = kinda cozy, local concern.
JMA Wireless = just a billboard, a faceless company. I mean I hold no enmity towards them and I do wish them luck, but it’s just a part of the goofy reality of modern economics.
More power to Wildhack.

I get that it makes economic sense and money coming in is a good thing, but this is just so weird. It’s like someone in my immediate family suddenly having a new name. I’m just happy it’s something understated and not “the Chuck E Cheese Dome” or something embarrassing.
Remember that Rutgirls has the SHI T Stadium

Does it concern anyone that Daryl Gross worked for JMA and is now suing them for a million bucks. How many people heard of them before April 5th? Just asking.
Good point. I agree that this is a good way to get their name out there.

IMHO not the same. Carrier at that time was a pedigreed local company with an international reputation whose product was a tangible thread in the American fabric (Willis Carrier). Carrier at one time employed thousands in Syracuse. My family’s glass company even did business with them. I can remember some of their community outreach whereby retired executives would speak at symposia at my high school (Henninger). It was a good and understandable fit. It was close to being warm and fuzzy embrace. The underwrote almost 10% of the cost - close to $3 million (under the auspices of United Technology as I remember). It was good corporate citizenship and a locally warm financial embrace.
This one w/JMA Wireless is purely mercenary and the company, as I said is just some soulless name conjuring images of invisible modernity and not especially relatable. Almost humorous like KFC Yum Center or Tony Macaroni Arena.
JMA Wireless = just a billboard, a faceless company. I mean I hold no enmity towards them and I do wish them luck, but it’s just a part of the goofy reality of modern economics.
More power to Wildhack.
Why is JMA faceless? Just because you don’t know who they are?

And get off my lawn!!!

More power to Wildhack.

And UTC sent 90% of those local jobs to other places.

You remember that time Carrier sponsored signs for NCSt not a week after announcing a bunch of jobs heading to NC

BTW I own stock in the spun off Carrier from UTC. Carrier would do well to use some of the settlement to sponsor something at Syracuse.

More power to Wildhack.
JMA is more Syracuse than Carrier ever was and doing huge things for the area and huge things for tech.

UTC bought Carrier in 1979 and released a bunch of corporate PR about no sweat we will continue Carriers' community involvement and don't worry Syracuse jobs are safe. BS.

I seriously don't like UTC (now Raytheon Technologies) and what they did, and how they did it was deceptive and classless.

JMA is more Syracuse than Carrier ever was and doing huge things for the area and huge things for tech.

Eh, let's not get ahead of ourselves...Carrier was an international powerhouse that maintained, what, 10,000 employees over two or three generations locally. This with extraordinary knock-on benefits for related companies. And I think their Carrier Circle campus still has a higher headcount than JMA does in Onondaga County.

The future is bright for JMA on the South Side. If they can accomplish a quarter of what Carrier did over the next 50 years, that'd be a great thing for CNY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom