JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights

This is a strange thread for anyone on this board to get salty about. Syracuse being able to negotiate out with Carrier and to find a new partner who will both pay Syracuse for naming AND enhance Dome and maybe campus tech WITH the potential for additional synergies (think internship programs, guest technology speakers, etc.) and people are getting salty? There is nothing but good news here but kudos to those who take this and give it the Tommy Boy treatment. There may still be time in your day to kick your dog and steal some kids candy. Yeesh...
good post. this revenue stream is nothing but great news for the University.

BTW, any idea how big that kid is with all the candy? Asking for one of the OPs in this thread.

The utterly forgettable, manifestly soulless and completely uninspiring corporate moniker has arrived at a Dome near you.
Wouldn't it have been exciting if they just bought off Carrier and named it the Orange Dome or the Syracuse Dome?
Yah I know...gotta pay for the Field Turf somehow.

It will be like Bowl games; the announcers will call it the corporate name at commercial breaks, but casually, it will remain "the Dome".

I get that it makes economic sense and money coming in is a good thing, but this is just so weird. It’s like someone in my immediate family suddenly having a new name. I’m just happy it’s something understated and not “the Chuck E Cheese Dome” or something embarrassing.

"Eric, meet your new brother Sue."

Look, if carrier “cared” at all and actually wanted to help the community like some of you are saying they would….they would have gone back and revised the awful deal that they gave Syracuse University for the naming rights of the Carrier Dome.

Unknown.jpeg

(FYI: intended a humorous spirit here.)

Agreed but 10% of initial building cost is/was no small change contribution. Carrier stepped up when initially needed and had better vision than SU. Not their job to give back on a winning play. Don't understand everyone's angst toward Carrier.

But for Carrier's gift, there might not have been a domed stadium at SU in 1980. Not hyperbole. The anti-Carrier angle on this board (and in the past few years, at SU) always struck me as misguided.

Who cares? I’ve always called it the Dome. We need to start dropping some bags off at high profile recruits, that ain’t cheap. If I was SU I’d be selling naming rights to EVERYTHING. Fuccillo Pee trough? Done.
Put in all capital letters above the troughs "ITS YUGE"

But for Carrier's gift, there might not have been a domed stadium at SU in 1980. Not hyperbole. The anti-Carrier angle on this board (and in the past few years, at SU) always struck me as misguided.
Not going to argue with the general tenor, but the fact that you emphasized the word gift so much made me think, if you expect to get something out of it in a business sense, then it's not, strictly speaking, a gift.

Anti-Carrier isn’t how I’d describe it. A good deal for both parties that went rotten on the vine over time for Syracuse. There’s bound to be mixed feelings, especially as the shifted jobs away from the area which coincided with the downturn in football a bit.

All rectified now.

Not going to argue with the general tenor, but the fact that you emphasized the word gift so much made me think, if you expect to get something out of it in a business sense, then it's not, strictly speaking, a gift.

Agreed, and I probably shouldn't pretend to know much about the circumstances of the gift in the '70s; it just always struck me as similar to donors' names on academic buildings. That is, mainly philanthropic in intent. But again, I don't know.

Anti-Carrier isn’t how I’d describe it. A good deal for both parties that went rotten on the vine over time for Syracuse. There’s bound to be mixed feelings, especially as the shifted jobs away from the area which coincided with the downturn in football a bit.

All rectified now.

Yeah, this is fair. And memories of those NC State "Beat Syracuse" signs in 1998 were really salt in a wound, so I get that animus.

JMA Stadium
Im pretty sure the way the chancellor acted when there was some news a lil while back that the carrier dome name soon would potentially be no more.
Heard today that it will be a anually paying deal which is awesome but havent heard the amount yet
Would hope it’s 7 figures. Very few stadiums in college get exposure for both Major revenue sports.

Would hope it’s 7 figures. Very few stadiums in college get exposure for both Major revenue sports.
Louisville just got $16.3M over 11 years for basketball facility.

Kroger just paid $22M for 12 years for Kentucky’s football stadium naming rights.

Quite frankly, it should be multiple millions of dollars per year if it was negotiated properly.

Last edited:
Because there's been no public announcement yet.

"Local technology company JMA Wireless will take over the naming rights, with an announcement expected in the coming weeks, said the people, who were granted anonymity because the details are private."
And also, SU being a private institution, the amount may not be announced.

Kroger just paid $22M for 12 years for Kentucky’s football stadium naming rights.

Quite frankly, it should multiple millions of dollars per year if it was negotiated properly.

It will be off set some by the 5G work done in the Dome and hopefully the whole campus.

And also, SU being a private institution, the amount may not be announced.
True, but the amount should be indicated on JMA's tax filing at some point. I believe that the naming, as advertising, is a pre-tax deduction.

It will be off set some by the 5G work done in the Dome and hopefully the whole campus.
That’ll come with a preferred vendor contract - friendly discount. But that shouldn’t make that big a difference from an exposure/marketing dollar standpoint. It should still be in the multi millions per year, looking at the going rate for basketball/football arena/stadium deals.

JMA will be making a ton of money off the deal if they discount the advertising price too much.

That’ll come with a preferred vendor contract - friendly discount. But that shouldn’t make that big a difference from an exposure/marketing dollar standpoint. It should still be in the multi millions per year, looking at the going rate for basketball/football arena/stadium deals.

JMA will be making a ton of money off the deal if they discount the advertising price too much.

It’s not cheap. It cost $15m+ to do the super bowl stadium. The dome would be less but it’s still going to be millions. And if they do the whole campus, it’ll be many more millions.

True, but the amount should be indicated on JMA's tax filing at some point. I believe that the naming, as advertising, is a pre-tax deduction.
Right, may not be a formal announcement but it may come out in other ways. That tax filing may not be for a while.

Quite frankly, it should multiple millions of dollars per year if it was negotiated properly.

According to another post, JMA's annual revenue (not profit) is only $153M/year. I would be highly surprised if it's multiple millions/year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom