JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights

JMA is more Syracuse than Carrier ever was and doing huge things for the area and huge things for tech.
Mea culpa. Didn't do my research reference JMA. Thought they were some distant, mega-funded company looking for a place to hang a sign.

I now understand their aspirations, CNY auspices and the hi-tech 5G field they're spearheading. HQ on Hank Clay Blvd. $157m in sales. 600+ employees. Kudos to John Mezzalingua & Co.

I just wish their name was something like Kick A$$ so we could play in the Kick A$$ Dome instead of the JMA Wireless Dome.

Eh, let's not get ahead of ourselves...Carrier was an international powerhouse that maintained, what, 10,000 employees over two or three generations locally. This with extraordinary knock-on benefits for related companies. And I think their Carrier Circle campus still has a higher headcount than JMA does in Onondaga County.

The future is bright for JMA on the South Side. If they can accomplish a quarter of what Carrier did over the next 50 years, that'd be a great thing for CNY.
Seriously. Love the nothing happened before I was born takes.

Seriously. Love the nothing happened before I was born takes.
Not quite. Nice try. I don’t see the sentimental value in helping a former conglomerate that hasn’t made anything here in 20 years over a local company that’s barely a decade old and providing modern products, but should have figured people here would find a way to be upset about this.

yep, it sure isn't things like stepping in right away when you find out you have a scumbag women's hoops coach or a sicko lacrosse player
“Stepping in right away.”

I gather you’re in the know.

Please give us the timeline of the events and the investigation of those events.

Not quite. Nice try. I don’t see the sentimental value in helping a former conglomerate that hasn’t made anything here in 20 years over a local company that’s barely a decade old and providing modern products, but should have figured people here would find a way to be upset about this.
Who said anything about helping Carrier? If you want to make an argument try being factually accurate instead of making categorical assertions that are not true. Carrier is not the presence today that it once was, got it. Doesn’t change the fact that it was a huge one once.

The name change is fine, btw.

Look, if carrier “cared” at all and actually wanted to help the community like some of you are saying they would….they would have gone back and revised the awful deal that they gave Syracuse University for the naming rights of the Carrier Dome.

Obviously at the time it sounded and seemed great and was…however the last 10-15 years it was obvious that Carrier was getting FAR more out of the deal than Syracuse

Carrier never did change the agreement and I guarantee you anytime that the university approached them about it to get more money Carrier told them to kick rocks.

It’s about time this happened. This is how sports teams at universities make $$$$$. The more $$$$ we have the better the athletic teams we field.

Great job by JW on getting this done and securing more money for Syracuse University and Syracuse Athletics.

More deals like this, are exactly what Syracuse needs

Last edited:
Who said anything about helping Carrier? If you want to make an argument try being factually accurate instead of making categorical assertions that are not true. Carrier is not the presence today that it once was, got it. Doesn’t change the fact that it was a huge one once.
Yes. 20 years ago. The footprints diminished and they make zero here. JMA is a company that manufactures products here. Those are the current facts. I saw no reason for us to have Carrier‘s name on the dome where there’s other companies here actually growing and establishing a main footprint in the area.

“Stepping in right away.”

I gather you’re in the know.

Please give us the timeline of the events and the investigation of those events.
For the women's basketball it wasnt before public support of Q but clearly after the Athletic article which came out what, a week or two later?

Look, if carrier “cared” at all and actually wanted to help the community like some of you are saying they would….they would have gone back and revised the awful deal that they gave Syracuse University for the naming rights of the Carrier Dome.

Obviously at the time it sounded and seemed great and was…however the last 10-15 years it was obvious that Carrier was getting FAR more out of the deal than Syracuse

Carrier never did and I guarantee you anytime the university approached them about to get more money Carrier told them to kick rocks.

It’s about time this happened. This is how sports teams at universities make $$$$$. The more $$$$ we have the better the athletic teams we field.

Great job by JW on getting this done and securing more money for Syracuse University and Syracuse Athletics.

More deals like this, are exactly what Syracuse needs
We don't really know the money yet. Obviously better than none

Last edited:
IMHO not the same. Carrier at that time was a pedigreed local company with an international reputation whose product was a tangible thread in the American fabric (Willis Carrier). Carrier at one time employed thousands in Syracuse. My family’s glass company even did business with them. I can remember some of their community outreach whereby retired executives would speak at symposia at my high school (Henninger). It was a good and understandable fit. It was close to being warm and fuzzy embrace. The underwrote almost 10% of the cost - close to $3 million (under the auspices of United Technology as I remember). It was good corporate citizenship and a locally warm financial embrace.
This one w/JMA Wireless is purely mercenary and the company, as I said is just some soulless name conjuring images of invisible modernity and not especially relatable. Almost humorous like KFC Yum Center or Tony Macaroni Arena.
Carrier = kinda cozy, local concern.
JMA Wireless = just a billboard, a faceless company. I mean I hold no enmity towards them and I do wish them luck, but it’s just a part of the goofy reality of modern economics.
More power to Wildhack.

Lol some check on this guy. Relax.

Also, where’s Carrier now?

Agreed but 10% of initial building cost is/was no small change contribution. Carrier stepped up when initially needed and had better vision than SU. Not their job to give back on a winning play. Don't understand everyone's angst toward Carrier.

Not so much that

Just that it was long overdue for this deal to be updated and altered.

Carrier did great with the original deal and everyone will be thankful for it always.

However, it was time for a new naming rights.

Because it’s only a matter of time until it becomes like the Sabres arena and changes every 4 years.
If the money increases exponentially every 4 years, I'm okay with it.

If you search PPC on google, you will find company John and his family built from the ground up before selling to Belden in 2012. This venture is not far from many of the projects he had been working on before the sale with wireless. He is a smart man and wants to win in what ever he does. (I know this from a pick up basketball game in the keys during a sales meeting one year..:)

Putting his name on the Dome is huge for this company. It’s going to give JMA a huge platform. He’s smart putting this company in the South Salina area. Over the next ten years this area is going to be totally revitalized because of the tearing down of Interstate 81. His headquarters will only expand in size and this area of Syracuse is going to be transformed.

The next decade is a really interesting time for Central New York. I don't know if I would say resurgence but I see a good revitalization of the area going on.

Considering the prices of homes, lots of people are moving to the area as well.

I’m SOOOO HAPPY about this. I barely care what the new name is so long as we’re collecting a phat check every year. We could do much worse than the JMA Wireless Dome.

Hopefully the exit deal with Carrier was 3 bucks and a bucket of sweat from the student section.

Smell ya later Carrier - good riddance!

Yes. 20 years ago. The footprints diminished and they make zero here. JMA is a company that manufactures products here. Those are the current facts. I saw no reason for us to have Carrier‘s name on the dome where there’s other companies here actually growing and establishing a main footprint in the area.
If Carrier which employs around 1200 locally would have dealt in good faith I would think the university would have given them favorable naming rights terms. The company just spun off from UTC...a great time to make a commitment to CNY. Alas it didn't happen. Carrier is run by an excellent CEO in So Fla and is good hands. Hopefully that includes Syracuse for many more decades.

This is a strange thread for anyone on this board to get salty about. Syracuse being able to negotiate out with Carrier and to find a new partner who will both pay Syracuse for naming AND enhance Dome and maybe campus tech WITH the potential for additional synergies (think internship programs, guest technology speakers, etc.) and people are getting salty? There is nothing but good news here but kudos to those who take this and give it the Tommy Boy treatment. There may still be time in your day to kick your dog and steal some kids candy. Yeesh...

JMA Stadium
Im pretty sure the way the chancellor acted when there was some news a lil while back that the carrier dome name soon would potentially be no more.
Heard today that it will be a anually paying deal which is awesome but havent heard the amount yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom