John Wildhack named new SU AD | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack named new SU AD

latest

DOMEBO!

I take it that you don't really understand the boss/employee relationship that well.
1.It was Syverud's decision to appease the NCAA by forcing JB to set a retirement date.
2.If there are public pronouncements to the contrary, those are Syverud's announcements to make.
3.The headline almost comes off as though JB is campaigning to overrule the boss and be allowed to keep his job.
4.Must make for a great dynamic with Mike, don't you think?
i take it you don't understand the boss/employee relationship of major public figures who are bigger than their boss'.

and also underlings who don't give a Flying F.

eggers, shaw, cantor, syvy...all boss' who reaped the benefits of all the $$$ JB provides the school

1. the NCAA didnt give a F and wont give a F if he stays. whether its 3-4-5-10 years after the investigation...he gone, damage done. (give him his Wins back!!)
2. JB didnt really say anything bad, just that he likes this hire so much he'd consider staying longer...and we'll see. Syvy doesn't have to do anything other than shake his head when asked about what JB says.
3. that's a reach. and blame the headline, not the quote.
4. cant argue that!!

Wildhack is the type of refreshing, bleeds orange hire you get when you rely on an internal search committee instead of some head-hunting search firm (who probably would have made a traditional recommendation of an assistant AD from another D-1 school).

I read that Bud article and got angry. Why would we worry that Wildhack would be leaving for something better already. People need to chill. The guy has never been an AD before, worrying that someday OSU may come calling is insane. If he's successful maybe he will get other offers, but if you hire quality, that happens. This dude was top 5 at ESPN and left to take the Cuse AD position, that should tell you something.

The people who have had his job over the last 30 years:

Coyle - Left, but we really don't know why. His daughter knew the fight song I guess.
Gross - Fired - eh... stepped down. ;)
Crouthamel - Retired.

Its not like we've been snake bit by this often. One guy, took another job. Lets also worry that someday Babers may leave, and Hopkins, Desko, etc. It just hasn't happened that often here, and if it does, typically (outside of Coyle) it means they've done a solid job, (Marrone) and hopefully we can find a replacement worthy as well. Life and people move on. It's weak to be worried about this thing.

Last edited:
that's two words, silly. No wonder you didn't get the job.
Dang it, you're right. My original plan was to say bake sale/ car wash...but I thought I would be going in to hot with that. I didn't want to blow their minds. So, I decided to keep a few tricks in the old bag for later, but then I blew it anyway.

Its been a pleasure reading through this thread. I have no clue of what it takes to be a quality AD. Im glad I have people in this forum that know this part of the business. From gathering info from everyone there's one thing that stands out to me. Wildhack is a go getter who will not settle for second best.

I read that Bud article and got angry. Why would we worry that Wildhack would be leaving for something better already. People need to chill. The guy has never been an AD before, worrying that someday OSU may come calling is insane. If he's successful maybe he will get other offers, but if you hire quality, that happens. This dude was top 5 at ESPN and left to take the Cuse AD position, that should tell you something.

The people who have had his job over the last 30 years:

Coyle - Left, but we really don't know why. His daughter knew the fight song I guess.
Gross - Fired - eh... stepped down. ;)
Crouthamel - Retired.

Its not like we've been snake bit by this often. One guy, took another job. Lets also worry that someday Babers may leave, and Hopkins, Desko, etc. It just hasn't happened that often here, and if it does, typically (outside of Coyle) it means they've done a solid job, (Marrone) and hopefully we can find a replacement worthy as well. Life and people move on. It's weak to be worried about this thing.
i'm angry that you read a bud article

Love the hire. Out of the box. Tv executive and biz guy. Yes, no experience in compliance but that is delegated these days anyways. This guy os organized, a leader, has made tough impactful decisions in the past, and is a cuse guy. Great blend of business and personality. Love it and love the fact dino was involved in his hire. Great vibe at cuse. Hopefully, being a tv guy he can help broker us away from the 12 or 1230 kicks!;)

I'll start by saying that yes, my feelings are occasionally wrong, but I have a really good feeling about John Wildhack. He seems like a great leader and smart enough to find people who will help in those areas that might not be his strengths.

This is another hire that seems to have been done very quietly- at least I never heard any rumors until this morning on the board. Very impressed with how Syverud operates and the search committee did a nice job also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom