John Wildhack named new SU AD | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack named new SU AD

When I heard the news I contacted an all knowing friend who spent a number of years at ESPN at a fairly high level. This fellow has Syracuse roots.

He said Wildhack is a great guy and a great hire.

I feel much better about this hire than I did about Coyle. I suspect JB does too.

Can't hurt recruiting, either. 'Our AD's an ESPN guy. Interested in a career in media after your playing days are over? We can help.'

Not that we couldn't already.

One thing I've learned, don't expect Greg Robinson appreciation day any time soon.

I like the way this guy thinks.

If ADJW is smart he will utilize guys like Herm Frazier with the operational side of the business (Herm's been AD twice now I think). Many of you may not know this but Herm was instrumental in getting HCDB to even consider Syracuse and lined up all of the people like Floyd L & Jim B to call him and talked him into interviewing while at the same time FADMC was going after the unproven guys from Oregon & Ohio St. I'm not saying FADMC wasn't against hiring Babers, I was told he didn't think Babers would consider Syracuse seriously so he didn't pursue him initially as much as the Oregon or Ohio St assistants. Herm opened the doors to get Babers to eventually come here but will never get the credit he deserves.

Last edited:
If ADJW is smart he will utilize guys like Herm Frazier with the operational side of the business. Many of you may not know this but Herm was instrumental in getting HCDB to even consider Syracuse and lined up all of the people like Floyd L & Jim B to call him and talked to him into interviewing while at the same time FADMC was going after the guy from Oregon. I'm not saying FADMC wasn't against hiring Babers, he was quoted as saying he didn't think Babers would consider Syracuse seriously so he wasn't pursued as much initially as the Oregon or Ohio St assistants. Herm opened the doors to get Babers to eventually come here but will never get the credit he deserves.
What a mistake Frost would have been. Hey Scott - Nebraska on Line 2.

Managing people is the same anywhere, managing large budgets are the same, managing relationships is the same.
I said the same thing when Coyle left and said a VP or an EVP could easily run an athletic department ando everyone said BS.

Seems Syverud agrees with me.

If Wildhack was smart he would tell the ACC commish if you want my help in establishing a network no more homer officials at our road games...period That means Dook BB and Fla St. Football.

Its been a pleasure reading through this thread. I have no clue of what it takes to be a quality AD. Im glad I have people in this forum that know this part of the business. From gathering info from everyone there's one thing that stands out to me. Wildhack is a go getter who will not settle for second best.
What I love about the hire is from Burton. It sounds like we are making a commitment to being Big Time in every way going forward.

Love to hear it!!

OK, how many of you scanned this and thought it said, "John Wildhack has a giant Rolex" ? I did

And how many others of you said, "What's a Rolodex?"

big smile.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom