Jon Bol Ajak | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Bol Ajak

Yea so...not to be overblowing anything but I don't get excited about a lot of recruits. I mean, I went back to school for students seasons to Carmelo, but since then only Flynn Ennis MCW and Dion did I see a lot of recruiting vids for and got excited when perusing stuff on the pay side but like 18 months ago I saw videos and have been excited for JBA and was at first disappointed he was redshirting until I remembered McNabb was a Redshirt Freshman when he beat North Carolina. The shooting at the 5 will be as pure as we have ever seen. He had a few dimes in those recruiting videos too. 6 11 235 that can shoot from anywhere and can pass when his man gets drawn away makes everyone better.

Not to understate my excitement about this news or anything...

If JB lets him shoot jumpers. I can't count how many Center recruits we've landed who've shown what we thought were solid jumpshots on tape, only to see them attempt like 4 in their SU career.

If JB lets him shoot jumpers. I can't count how many Center recruits we've landed who've shown what we thought were solid jumpshots on tape, only to see them attempt like 4 in their SU career.

Calling Bullstuff on that. Name One. Elvir Ovcina?

Had to smile. Elvir was actually an adequate rebounder and a good passer for the minutes he played but it was actually his poor shooting and standing at the top of the key hoping to launch a 3, ended up being his downfall. Otis Hill , JB Reafsnyder and Etan Thomas were the starters and impact centers during Elvir’s career from 1995 through 1999. Here are his career stats.

I’m sure other will disagree but I think JB granted the redshirt to the highest ceiling of the two freshman bigmen. Edwards is multiple years imo from being able to contribute consistently on a top 50 team.

I’m sure other will disagree but I think JB granted the redshirt to the highest ceiling of the two freshman bigmen. Edwards is multiple years imo from being able to contribute consistently on a top 50 team.
Granted? It’s the players call. I’d be shocked if JBs desire was to have either play.

Taurean Thompson wasn't afraid to shoot. I don't know if he'd be considered a center.

Different times though. All kids, regardless of position, are shooting threes these days. It's odd that we consistently get guys who just won't.

Taurean Thompson wasn't afraid to shoot. I don't know if he'd be considered a center.

Different times though. All kids, regardless of position, are shooting threes these days. It's odd that we consistently get guys who just won't.
We get guys that have barely played basketball. Think about how many times JB has said that in the last 4 years. It’s crazy.

Had to smile.

I mean, Elvir Ovcina. It's is kinda fun to say. Like Mosi Tatupu. See That Right There is another reason why I am certain in my heart of hearts that Jon Bol Ajak is gonna be good. Maybe not superstar good but an additional key weapon on a team with shooters already. Eli gone, but bang, there is Jalen all healed to step into a role he is more suited for at the three. We could go big or go small with experience at all positions. Sleeper team for sure. I don't know I just see it coming together. Remember 2001-2002 ended in the NIT.

I am a self admitted Orange Juice Drinker, full disclosure.

Not sure I disagree but it's worth pointing out that many bigs come in and need a couple years. Maybe not if you are landing top 50 guys but even in that case it can be true. Fab is not a great example here b/c his transformation in one year was absurd and hardly the baseline from which to judge kids, but if you look at he and Chuckwu as two recent examples -- both began their careers (yes, I realize Chuckwu was a transfer) looking utterly unplayable and came back the next year to either be outstanding (Fab) or serviceable on a solid team (Chuckwu).

I would tend to agree that edwards is far from being a finished product but the idea that he couldn't be a decent rotation option on a better team (top 50, not necessarily top 25) isn't crazy, IMO.

I mean, Elvir Ovcina. It's is kinda fun to say. Like Mosi Tatupu. See That Right There is another reason why I am certain in my heart of hearts that Jon Bol Ajak is gonna be good. Maybe not superstar good but an additional key weapon on a team with shooters already. Eli gone, but bang, there is Jalen all healed to step into a role he is more suited for at the three. We could go big or go small with experience at all positions. Sleeper team for sure. I don't know I just see it coming together. Remember 2001-2002 ended in the NIT.

I am a self admitted Orange Juice Drinker, full disclosure.

I’m down with those “fun to say” names 144%!

Mosi Tatupu is a GOAT name. :cool:

My buddies growing up all would say “Let’s Mosi Tatupu” instead of “Let’s mosey”.

(and still do, to this day)

/ thread derail end.

My buddies growing up all would say “Let’s Mosi Tatupu” instead of “Let’s mosey”.

/ thread derail end.
1583176999399.png

/ thread derail end.
image.jpg

As bad as the defense was and Eli/Joe were for most of the game i though the biggest reason we lost the way we did was Marek’s inability to do anything productive and stay out of foul trouble. We needed solid defense, 10-15 points and 5-10 rebounds from him last night. The stupidity of his fouls were maddening.
Marek, beginning with freshman year, is savvy/good hoop IQ, fills stat sheet with few bad T/O's.
I consider Marek a "smart player".
Therefore his ongoing issue with stupid fouls is mystifying!

Marek, beginning with freshman year, is savvy/good hoop IQ, fills stat sheet with few bad T/O's.
I consider Marek a "smart player".
Therefore his ongoing issue with stupid fouls is mystifying!

He played guard in the videos I saw of his your team. He has been learning to play the 4 & 5 while at SU so not entirely surprising he's still learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom