Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you heard differently? Last I heard it was still 50/50

Well, pretty much every binary decision is 50/50 -
until it is made.

I mean - Judah was supposedly a heavy lean (to nearly a lock) to DePaul there at the end, and yet Cuse ended up landing him.

So maybe we’ll come out on the positive side of this decision too.

Me either. I actually think hes back

If he's back, I think we still need one more really good guy.

If he leaves, then obviously we need at least two, but at least we have a viable PG in Starling.

If he's back, I think we still need one more really good guy.

If he leaves, then obviously we need at least two, but at least we have a viable PG in Starling.

While PG will eventually be JJs position and where he probably wants to play, it’s been 3 years since JJ was a “PG”.

While PG will eventually be JJs position and where he probably wants to play, it’s been 3 years since JJ was a “PG”.

Not a lot different from so many guys we have tried at the position this last decade or so ...

That was a hell of a highlight tape.

I've thought that Mintz might not be athletic enough for the next level. He might be a great college player, but not NBA big enough for his speed, able to finish well enough at the rim, etc. I worry that he might be the basketball equivalent of a AAAA player: too good for the minors, but not a regular on a big league roster. The biggest thing is that he is more crafty than explosive. I wonder if his crafty moves and fakes will be enough against the best athletes in the world.

This particular scout who put together the video seems to disagree. A couple of footwork issues with ball handling and a tweek in his shooting might be enough to get Mintz over the bar.

Mintz needs to prove he can hit open 3s as a catch and shoot player and hit open 3s when the defender goes under the pick on the PNR. This is such an obvious point to all of us who've seen him play 30+ games. These are such minor adjustments it seems likely he can be a much better player next year.

In his last 7 games last year, Mintz attempted 2.7 3s per game at an insane 57.9% clip. The rest of the season, in 25 previous games, he attempted 1.9 per game at a dismal 19.1% success rate. His real predictable success rate is in the middle, but asking him to make 40% when he's only taking 3s when defenders go under the PNR screen and on open catch and shoot doesn't seem implausible.

I really hope Mintz comes back for selfish reasons. Even if he's a AAAA baller, my favorite team plays in the minor leagues and I think he's a guy who can win us a title.

I also want him to be a first rounder so he can get the guaranteed contract he needs to prove his real talent level in the NBA.

Mintz is very very good.

Last edited:
90+% of the time when players come out I believe they made the right move, assuming their goal is a long productive NBA career.

Since I have been following basketball, the only player I thought made a mistake coming out, again, if a LONG NBA career was the goal, was Malachi. I always felt one more year to refine his skills absolutely would have made him a legit NBA player. Maybe not a 20 ppg game, but at least at the 6-12 ppg level like Oshae is at. Alas, he chose to strike while the iron was hot, get the first rookie contract, and then move into Europe, and that's fine. That's his call. Is what it is.

Judah may be the 2nd. He seems to me seems like a player that could be a borderline lottery levei pick with one more year to develop his game, and his shot, one who teams would feel invested to give many chances to play and keep on that roster. I feel like if he goes now, we will be looking at another single contract guy playing in Europe.

His call, and no hard feelings regardless of which he makes. But I think another year at SU would serve all parties well.

Last edited:
1680869609741.gif

90+% of the time when players come out I believe they made the right move, assuming their goal is a long productive NBA career.

Since I have been following basketball, the only player I thought made a mistake coming out, again, if a LONG NBA career was the goal, was Malachi. I always felt one more year to refine his skills absolutely would have made him a legit NBA player. Maybe not a 20 ppg game, but at least at the 6-12 ppg level like Oshae is at. Alas, he chose to strike while the iron was hot, get the first rookie contract, and then move into Europe, and that's fine. That's his call. Is what it is.

Judah may be the 2nd. He seems to me seems like a player that could be a borderline lottery levei pick with one more year to develop his game, and his shot, one who teams would feel invested to give many chances to play and keep on that roster. I feel like if he goes now, we will be looking at another single contract guy playing in Europe.

His call, and no hard feelings regardless of which he makes. But I think another year at SU would serve all parties well.
Malachi got hot off of the tournament run and it promptly blew up in his face.

Chris McCullough is another one that left early without a resume. Brooklyn gambled and he was out of the league in three seasons having barely played.

JJ isn't a lead guard.

Nor is that the role he's was recruited to fill.
If JJ is not a lead guard candidate and was recruited as a 2G than I assume the staff has a PG in waiting if Judah exits. At least I hope that is the case because there doesn't appear to be a proven lead guard in the program that could fill that role.

Malachi got hot off of the tournament run and it promptly blew up in his face.

Chris McCullough is another one that left early without a resume. Brooklyn gambled and he was out of the league in three seasons having barely played.

If Malachi's goal was that first contract, it worked fine. He got drafted, and has built out a solid European career. And if that is what Judah is looking for, I wish him best. I just think if his goal was a long productive NBA career, a 2nd year would be huge to the development needed to make that happen.

"I will most likely be a point guard and shooting guard, but I am willing to play whatever role is necessary for us to win games." - JJ

At this moment, I'm guessing if Judah gets drafted JJ is our PG. That would change if Red lands Bradley. JJ would play PG over Westry. Quadir could always take a leap and take some minutes at PG.

"I will most likely be a point guard and shooting guard, but I am willing to play whatever role is necessary for us to win games." - JJ

At this moment, I'm guessing if Judah gets drafted JJ is our PG. That would change if Red lands Bradley. JJ would play PG over Westry. Quadir could always take a leap and take some minutes at PG.
Westry is more of a point than JJ. JJ is a 2. He had more turnovers than assists last season. It’s quite a risk to have him as our pg.

Westry is more of a point than JJ. JJ is a 2. He had more turnovers than assists last season. It’s quite a risk to have him as our pg.
Hopefully Judah comes back so we don't have to worry about it. It would be a real luxury and change-up to have Judah, JJ, Westry, and Quadir -- all guys who can handle the ball if needed.

If Malachi's goal was that first contract, it worked fine. He got drafted, and has built out a solid European career. And if that is what Judah is looking for, I wish him best. I just think if his goal was a long productive NBA career, a 2nd year would be huge to the development needed to make that happen.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I'd have to believe that Malachi's goal was both, that first contract, and then the bigger second contract and long productive NBA career. I'd also have to imagine the same for Judah.

These guys were highly rated guys coming out of high school, etc., and Malachi was a top 25 recruit and Mickey D guy. Guys of this stature only think NBA and clearly is the goal. If things aren't working out the way they thought/hoped it would, then they reassess, and look at their next best option or Plan B. That usually being ball overseas somewhere.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I'd have to believe that Malachi's goal was both, that first contract, and then the bigger second contract and long productive NBA career. I'd also have to imagine the same for Judah.

These guys were highly rated guys coming out of high school, etc., and Malachi was a top 25 recruit and Mickey D guy. Guys of this stature only think NBA and clearly is the goal. If things aren't working out the way they thought/hoped it would, then they reassess, and look at their next best option or Plan B. That usually being ball overseas somewhere.

That's a fair take.

Of course everyone's goal is to stick. But I do believe that for many, they put as much or more weight on the guaranteed rookie contract more than anything. I think many would rather a sure thing $2 million and then the ability to play overseas for 10 years for half a million per as a worst case as opposed to the potential for a more lucrative longer NBA career that would be multiples of that financially.

Not judging that choice. I may make that choice.

That being said, 95% or so of the time, top to bottom, I firmly agree with when they come out. Judah would only be the 2nd player since I've been following Cuse hoops...~coming up on 3 decades...that I truly believe would take a massive step towards a long term highly lucrative NBA career by staying one more year.

But others may see it differently and thats ok.

That's a fair take.

Of course everyone's goal is to stick. But I do believe that for many, they put as much or more weight on the guaranteed rookie contract more than anything. I think many would rather a sure thing $2 million and then the ability to play overseas for 10 years for half a million per as a worst case as opposed to the potential for a more lucrative longer NBA career that would be multiples of that financially.

Not judging that choice. I may make that choice.

That being said, 95% or so of the time, top to bottom, I firmly agree with when they come out. Judah would only be the 2nd player since I've been following Cuse hoops...~coming up on 3 decades...that I truly believe would take a massive step towards a long term highly lucrative NBA career by staying one more year.

But others may see it differently and thats ok.

The BIG thing that all the “you need to focus on the 2nd NBA contract” folks keep missing is -

There is NO 2nd contract, if you never get the 1st one!!!!

For all the fans who act as if guys like Ennis, Mali, Lydon, etc are busts because they never got a 2nd NBA contract -

All those guys were multimillionaires in their early 20’s off of the 1 NBA contract they did get.

Compare that to guys who “came back to improve their draft stock” like:
KrisJo, CJ, Tyus, etc -

None of those guys got that 1st NBA contract, so they can’t possibly ever get a 2nd one.

It’s great that Jerami & O’shae managed to get their foot in the door and stick, and eventually get paid.
(Jerami in particular)

IF a player gets a shot at the Association, they’ve gotta take it.

The BIG thing that all the “you need to focus on the 2nd NBA contract” folks keep missing is -

For all the fans who act as if guys like Ennis, Mali, Lydon, etc are busts because they never got a 2nd NBA contract -

All those guys were multimillionaires in their early 20’s off of the 1 NBA contract they did get.

KrisJo, CJ, Tyus, etc -

None of those guys got that 1st NBA contract, so they can’t possibly ever get a 2nd one.

It’s great that Jerami & O’shae managed to get their foot in the door and stick, and eventually get paid.
(Jerami in particular)

CJ and Kris were never getting a contract regardless if/when they left. Tyus maaayyyybbbeee would have, but in all likelihood would not. Ennis made the right move. He was never an NBA player, and I was shocked as to how high he was drafted. I thought Lydon would fare a bit better. Mali I thought would have benefitted from another year at Cuse.

KrisJo, CJ, Tyus, etc -

(Jerami in particular)

Again, that's a valid perspective. And for me, I think for 98% of people that is true. I truly believe, however, that if a player has a chance to become a legit NBA star who can make 10-fold with one more year of development there are a small few who, IF finances allow, would be best served to consider it.

I think it's hard to fathom that when it comes to choosing whether to stay or go, the players bat 1.000. I have isolated 2 players out of many dozens who have made this decision as specific cases I think should stay/have stayed. All the rest i think the evidence was overwhelming made the right call.

If Judah goes, I wish him the best. And i would never @ him with my thoughts here. But I feel supremely confident for only the 2nd time in 3 decades watching players leave SU early that his NBA career will be far shorter and less impactful, and far less financially lucrative, if he goes now vs if he stays another year. But thats just one opinion and I don't bat 1.000 either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom