Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody would get word and announce it, probably Rothstein. I happen to think the longer he drags this out the better chance he returns. If he was "100% set on the NBA" like Tipton and some others reported, the word would have gotten out already that he was keeping his name in the draft.
Agree. The kid loves Syracuse! If he has already decided to stay in the draft, how does it benefit him to stay silent?

How do we know next year's draft class is 'weak?' I don't pay close enough attention to these things these days, but isn't it true that in every class players emerge, progress, develop, come out early, etc.? Or, is that prognostication already anticipating that stuff and with accuracy?

I heard one analyst say next years draft class is weaker overall but is stronger at guard. He didn’t differentiate between PG and SG, just said guard.

today's draft also boils down more to money than talent. who's looking to save and who wants to spend. very few can't miss prospects recently.

If there is a team willing to offer prior to the draft Judah if not drafted a two year contract like Cole Swider as a two way player, shoul/would he take it?

Even then, Judah would have to go through the draft and not be drafted to have that contract. It does give them a way to work out/play for a pro team if only a couple of games or less a year.

- some drafts are stronger than others...and there's no easy way to quantify that but its just true...
- this is supposedly a very strong draft while next year's is weak
- Judah actually improved a lot over the course of the freshman season - he's playing a new position - it's very rare that a player would start playing a new position in freshman season of NCAA - so comparing him to how others improved or didnt doesnt make sense - how many of those other players were trying a new position??
- he showed that he can improve a lot - so no saying that won't continue

he wouldnt stay in if he thought he would be undrafted, most likely

i dont think many people think he would go from undrafted to first round

i think you have to realize that system matters a lot too...im betting that next season the entire roster "looks" different..and has wildly different stats.

but I am with you generally - it may be that the things judah needs to improve on are just things that he wont really improve on...in that case, it is not easy to decide either way
You’re not wrong. There’s a lot of reasons to think he might beat the odds. Particularly a new system that plays to his strengths and simply more experience at the position. But NBA teams are generally already kinda assuming that the improvement will be there when THEY put him in a better system and give him more experience and draft accordingly.

Statistically speaking, it’s pretty rare for freshmen to withdraw from the draft and significantly improve their stock.

I also generally disagree with the idea that this years draft is strong. I think it’s basically just Wembanyama and then a bunch of normal level prospects. Next years draft doesn’t have a Wemby but I tend to think this years class is very overrated and next years slightly underrated.

System matters, but at the core of it, next season's system, whatever it is, is going to be even better for Mintz than last year.

Last year, with Girard and Edwards top returning players, JB gave Girard far too much time as lead guard. Mintz gradually grew into the role and was definitely ball dominant later in the year as his confidence, and the confidence JB had in him, grew.

This year, Mintz will be The Man from the first possession, and he'll know it.

Except for blowouts and rare mismatches where it makes sense for another player to start the offense, Mintz is going to be possessing the ball every meaningful possession.
I wouldnt be so sure...if JB was still here, it would be that way

but now with more talent and more mouths to feed - there's really no telling how things shake out on the depth chart

Of course, Judah will get his and get minutes but there are other NBA prospects/4 and 5 star players now to share the ball with

Autry already cut bait with all of "JBs Guys" basically...last year's pecking order is irrelevant

I think it would be a mistake from a competitiveness standpoint to just let any one player dominate the ball with this roster...

I wouldnt be so sure...if JB was still here, it would be that way

but now with more talent and more mouths to feed - there's really no telling how things shake out on the depth chart

Of course, Judah will get his and get minutes but there are other NBA prospects/4 and 5 star players now to share the ball with

Autry already cut bait with all of "JBs Guys" basically...last year's pecking order is irrelevant

I think it would be a mistake from a competitiveness standpoint to just let any one player dominate the ball with this roster...
Thing is - Judah is not going to dominate the ball in the NBA. Playing with other guys who can handle the ball will be good for him.

Thing is - Judah is not going to dominate the ball in the NBA. Playing with other guys who can handle the ball will be good for him.

This is important and maybe the one thing a return to SU can offer real value with. Playing with two other potential NBA prospects at G and being the leader and and driving a team with other high level prospects is a much different look than his freshman year. I also believe he can be dominant defensively. At the college level he can cause havoc on primary ball handlers and prove an all league player both ways.

Again can he do these things in the G League too? Sure but cuse can compete at least better next year in offering some of those same things.

Another plus for coming back is his room and board is paid for. Factor that with the NIL money.
But that isn't why I am writing right now. We are all waiting for Judah to say what he is going to do.
But if he is staying in the draft, why would he need to say anything? He is already in the draft.

Another plus for coming back is his room and board is paid for. Factor that with the NIL money.
But that isn't why I am writing right now. We are all waiting for Judah to say what he is going to do.
But if he is staying in the draft, why would he need to say anything? He is already in the draft.
I can't blame him either way, but as a selfish bastard, I want him back in Orange, because without him I think we have a good year, with him I think we have a GREAT year, and I know it irritates some to read run-on sentences, so I am just going to keep this going for a little bit, because I am an idiot and I wonder how long people will keep reading a post from a poster that has nothing meaningful to add, and all he does is goof around, because he has nothing better to do, but sometimes he drops a little nugget of humor and/or knowledge.

Unfortunately, the money’s not as big of a deal for Mintz and his family. Staying in school can be more lucrative than the G League, no question. In a sense, the decision to go pro in this climate, with the odds stacked against him, makes Mintz the modern day version of Joakim Noah. He’s doing the opposite of what everyone expects, because he can afford to.

“He is already in the draft.”
That’s my point.

judahs decision really decides if we’re gonna be the vintage cuse teams we haven’t had a in what feels like forever. Big decision for Judah this week can’t be easy. But boy if he comes back will be a fun offseason build up for szn to start which I miss a lot

judahs decision really decides if we’re gonna be the vintage cuse teams we haven’t had a in what feels like forever. Big decision for Judah this week can’t be easy. But boy if he comes back will be a fun offseason build up for szn to start which I miss a lot

His decision helps that cause a lot and possibly speeds it it up. Doesn't decide it one way or another.

I know were all stressed on Judah but I wouldnt read much into him not having announced anything yet. Only 1 guy from this list has announced their intentions so far. I would assume everyone is still going through last minute workouts before the deadline.

Additional taxable income, though.

I know were all stressed on Judah but I wouldnt read much into him not having announced anything yet. Only 1 guy from this list has announced their intentions so far. I would assume everyone is still going through last minute workouts before the deadline.
I suppose there's no benefit to him announcing his return publicly before he has to, assuming at least Red knows his intentions in confidence. If I were in his shoes I'd probably stay in the draft until the last minute so I could leave the channel of communication open with the NBA, even if my mind was made up. It could help for next year or something unexpected could happen. I do hope if he makes up his mind to stay in the draft someone announces it for our sake so we're not holding our breath for nothing.

He may not but someone like Rothstein would say that he’s staying in the draft, which would be confirmation

We may find out through Judah that he's coming back, or we may see writing on the wall if there is an out of nowhere offer to a HS PG.

We may find out through Judah that he's coming back, or we may see writing on the wall if there is an out of nowhere offer to a HS PG.

Unless there is an overseas kid or a decommitment behind closed doors I don't believe there are any worthwhile G recruits to chase unless we went against expectation and pursued another portal guard. Ty Laur was the one name left in the mix...

Negative on the latter.

Zero point offering whatever HS PG who isn’t committed yet, since they likely can’t help us much (if at all) next year.

And then also potentially tie up a scholly for several more years.

The only 3 realistic scenarios left now are:

1. Judah returns. YAY!!!
  2. Judah stays in draft. We reel in a Grad transfer PG to fill the gap for 1 year.
  3. Judah stays in draft. Coaching staff stands pat w/ current guard roster.

Don’t see how we could get in this late on any HS PG worth getting, and actually get them.
Ty-Laur was likely the last ship, and he sailed to Llvll.

For the sake of conversation: Did the fact that Judah wasn't trying to shoot 3s in the combine scrimmages indicate he decided to play it safe and just wants to get drafted? If he had a first round or return to Cuse mentality, I would think he would have taken a chance and launched threes because a good shooting performance is likely the only thing that would significantly increase his stock, and he's capable of making them. It's a risk because with a bad shooting performance he could fall out of the draft completely. Doing everything else well but not shooting threes - which is what he did - would mean he safely stays projected in the second round. On the other hand, it's possible he was told he needs to show he can facilitate for others since he won't be the main option, and he showed that, but that doesn't significantly move the needle in his draft stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom