Kaleb Joseph | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph

corpjet

Board Prophet
is he in the dog house, injured or does Hop not feel the need to play him?

You can tell he sees the writing on the wall... On the few shots they showed of him he looked disinterested and bored. In one shot he was yawning... I know that these are just a few snapshots in time but if I were a betting man I'd say uri is getting a point guard transfer next year,

Hard to believe that the starting pg last year can't even get a minute in ACC play. I know he has not looked stellar when he has been in, but I'm wondering what is really happening in practice.

Hard to believe that the starting pg last year can't even get a minute in ACC play. I know he has not looked stellar when he has been in, but I'm wondering what is really happening in practice.
This

That was out of necessity. He isn't good. Give those minutes to Frank and build for next year.

Kid must look AWFUL in practice. Hard to fathom otherwise.

That was out of necessity. He isn't good. Give those minutes to Frank and build for next year.

He was recruited here to eventually take the reigns from Ennis. Did everyone just miss something in high school that indicated he wouldn't be good? I'm not saying he is the answer or should got a ton of minutes, but a DNP is strange unless everyone completely missed the boat.

doc05 said:
He was recruited here to eventually take the reigns from Ennis. Did everyone just miss something in high school that indicated he wouldn't be good? I'm not saying he is the answer or should got a ton of minutes, but a DNP is strange unless everyone completely missed the boat.

Hard to figure.

When I saw him before SU, Kevin Ollie was at the game and left impressed.

He is a strike out in recruiting. It happens. Some guys outperform their rank, some never justify it.

He is a strike out in recruiting. It happens. Some guys outperform their rank, some never justify it.

I think there is more to it than he "isn't good". For some reason it's just not working out for him here. I think getting thrown into the mix last year might have shell shocked him and he hasn't quite recouped.

Hard to figure.

When I saw him before SU, Kevin Ollie was at the game and left impressed.

Exactly -- he was not chopped liver coming out of high school. He probably flourishes somewhere else -- maybe a smaller program.

doc05 said:
Exactly -- he was not chopped liver coming out of high school. He probably flourishes somewhere else -- maybe a smaller program.

I just hope we're prepared if he leaves this year. With a limited roster, can't afford to float scholarships.

We'd be down to 3 guards next year.

Right. It is perplexing since he is like you say a solid recruit going by the rankings. Must be issues in practice. But, he has generally regressed since that Villanova or Boston College game last year. It just sucks since we could use his contributions. It's asinine how many minutes G and Cooney have to play due to backcourt ineptness on the rest of the team.

As others have said, he's had his chances. He hasn't shown much. And his defense. Yeah, 'nuff said.

He's a bright kid and he has been an Orange fan for a long time. It sucks but it's a business and he hasn't gotten it done.

I don't blame Kaleb. I'm sure he is trying his best. The staff just missed on evaluating his ability to play at this level in this system. He has been consistently poor on defense. He allows penetration into the lane. He is slow reacting to cover the 3 point line. He lacks the basic instincts of a PG, he just dribbles around the perimeter going east-west not penetrating and going north-south to create shots. Maybe he would be better off the ball but with Cooney and Malachi he isn't going to be used in that role. I expect he sees the handwriting on the wall and will transfer out. Just sad because this kid really wanted to come here. It just wasn't the right fit.

I don't blame Kaleb. I'm sure he is trying his best. The staff just missed on evaluating his ability to play at this level in this system. He has been consistently poor on defense. He allows penetration into the lane. He is slow reacting to cover the 3 point line. He lacks the basic instincts of a PG, he just dribbles around the perimeter going east-west not penetrating and going north-south to create shots. Maybe he would be better off the ball but with Cooney and Malachi he isn't going to be used in that role. I expect he sees the handwriting on the wall and will transfer out. Just sad because this kid really wanted to come here. It just wasn't the right fit.

Can't argue with this. Appears to be a huge miss by the staff just in a year where it really hurts not having him contribute.

SoBeCuse said:
Can't argue with this. Appears to be a huge miss by the staff just in a year where it really hurts not having him contribute.

And his lack of progress could be more glaring next year when we're suddenly young and inexperienced in the back court.

I've been all in on Howard over Joseph from day 1. Much more upside with Howard and of course Battle coming in. Joseph was never going to play 30+ minutes a game with these guys anyway. Unfortunately this happens in big time college sports, people get recruited over constantly.

And his lack of progress could be more glaring next year when we're suddenly young and inexperienced in the back court.

Maybe Malachi decides to play some defense next year and we can play him where he belongs: at the 2.

Cuse House said:
I've been all in on Howard over Joseph from day 1. Much more upside with Howard and of course Battle coming in. Joseph was never going to play 30+ minutes a game with these guys anyway. Unfortunately this happens in big time college sports, people get recruited over constantly.

I like Howard, but he needs to work on his jumper. And he needs to be paired in a back court with s good shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom