Kenny Smith just called Buddy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kenny Smith just called Buddy

Yah, some of these comments are really just prisoners of the moment, lol. I love Buddy, but I can think of a handful of better shot makers beyond just Carmelo since I started watching the Orange during the Hart/Thomas/Shumpert years. Waiters and senior-year Gbinije come to mind. Buddy reminds me a lot of Senior-year Demetris Nichols.

Nobody will ever be Melo, but from a shot making perspective only Buddy is probably as good or better than anyone on your list. Love Jason Hart, but shooting was not his game. Nichols or Andrew White may be good comparisons.

Duncan Robinson has become a decent player for the defending Eastern Conference Champion Miami Heat. Buddy is at least as good as Duncan, so definitely has a shot -- the NBA game has changed, with 3 point shooting at a premium now. And by next year, Buddy will be a superstar (1st team All ACC for starters, and could be in the conversation for "ACC Player of the Year") -- the comp would be Doug McDermott -- had a monster year in his senior year playing for his Dad at Creighton.

Last edited:
Yah, some of these comments are really just prisoners of the moment, lol. I love Buddy, but I can think of a handful of better shot makers beyond just Carmelo since I started watching the Orange during the Hart/Thomas/Shumpert years. Waiters and senior-year Gbinije come to mind. Buddy reminds me a lot of Senior-year Demetris Nichols.
You're misremembering and are a prisoner of the past. The past 6 games he's averaged 26 points a game. Every single one of those games was a must win except for Virginia and Buddy showed up and literally was the biggest factor in every single one of those games. I'm not taking away from Waiters, G or any other great player that has come through here, but not one player has done what Buddy has done for a long time if not ever at Syracuse. Even Carmelo put up a stinker in the tournament, Buddy got the team in the tournament and now has gotten us into the sweet sixteen and I predict beyond. What we're seeing is special.

You're misremembering and are a prisoner of the past. The past 6 games he's averaged 26 points a game. Every single one of those games was a must win except for Virginia and Buddy showed up and literally was the biggest factor in every single one of those games. I'm not taking away from Waiters, G or any other great player that has come through here, but not one player has done what Buddy has done for a long time if not ever at Syracuse. Even Carmelo put up a stinker in the tournament, Buddy got the team in the tournament and now has gotten us into the sweet sixteen and I predict beyond. What we're seeing is special.
Yeah, it's the duration of his white-hot streak, right? I'm not going to compare him to Melo, that would be insanity and as fun as this is, it was only a couple months ago that half of this absurd board was convinced he was on the team b/c of his last name.

So, to me, what separates this from anything I can remember -- going back to mid-80s as a kid -- is how long he's been on fire. If you go back 8 games (not including tonight, which I'm too lazy to add and divide myself), he's 24/game on 53/49/91 shooting. If you go the previous five, he's at 26/game on 55/49/93 shooting. If you take the three games leading into tonight, he's 29/game on 65/60/100 shooting.

Take any one of those stretches and we haven't seen it often, if ever in my lifetime as a fan. Comparing Buddy to Melo or DC or Sherm or Pearl doesn't make any sense in really any scenario. D-Nic is an interesting comp for a player -- he was a bit more athletic and got to the line a bit more/rebounded a bit more -- but I can see it.

But my feeling is view this as one of the greatest shooting/scoring stretches we've ever seen and appreciate the timing (not just NCAA but ACC tourney and the Carolina/Clemson games, thought Clemson wasn't as good a performance).

Oh, and pray it continues for four more games.

Waiters and Silent G would dream they could shoot as well as Buddy. Driving to the hoop is a different story. But Buddy is a shooter with just about no equal for us.

White Rautins DNic GMAC Buddy...probably my top 5...no order.

White hit more contested 3s in one season than anyone I ever recall.

GMAC more flat out game winners

DNic would get viciously hot in crazy short stretches.

Rautins seemed to have the most efficient high level season.

but Buddy has had a 6-7 game stretch down the hardest part of a season that I don’t think has been duplicated. And it’s at as high a level as anyone.

White Rautins DNic GMAC Buddy...probably my top 5...no order.

White hit more contested 3s in one season than anyone I ever recall.

GMAC more flat out game winners

DNic would get viciously hot in crazy short stretches.

Rautins seemed to have the most efficient high level season.

but Buddy has had a 6-7 game stretch down the hardest part of a season that I don’t think has been duplicated. And it’s at as high a level as anyone.
Those 5 and I would throw Shumpert in too.

If you assumed that Buddy's 2020 3p% (37%) was his baseline in this season
There is a 30.5% chance he would have his 39.6% just based on random variation
There is a 17% chance he would have his 41.8% since January
There is a 3% chance he would have his 48.1% since February

D-Nic is an interesting comp for a player -- he was a bit more athletic and got to the line a bit more/rebounded a bit more -- but I can see it.
But I think Buddy now is more suited to today's NBA than D-Nic was to the NBA then. There is more of a premium on the three, and I feel like Buddy has a quicker release that can be all the difference in being an NBA player or not.

When Buddy curls off a screen on the wing, catches and shoots, it's a thing of beauty. It's so quick and so fluid. That, to me, is when he most looks like an NBA player.

While D-Nic was more athletic and better at driving to the basket and getting to the line than Buddy is, neither of those attributes was good enough to make him someone who had a chance to go in the first round or a realistic chance at more than a cup of coffee in the NBA.

So if you call them both like A 3-point shooters and give Buddy that A+ release and C athleticism vs. D-Nic's A- release and B athleticism, D-Nic might average the higher grade across those traits, but Buddy has the better NBA potential.

Gmac Buddy Sweet D Rautin. All pure shooters.

I will talk any of your ears off about my love for Cuse Dion, Gbinije and Hughes. They’re all in my top 5 favorites.

What Buddy Boeheim is doing is something entirely different.

This kid’s reminding me of JJ right now.

Buddy is the storm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom