Late, Quick SU-FSU thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Late, Quick SU-FSU thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • The DL won this game for us. I know that everyone was excited about Devito and he managed the game well, but the pressure from the DL was the biggest factor in this win.
  • OL stepped up in the second half. Probably helped that the FSU DL was tired, but they still were able to generally protect Tommy and more importantly, surround him with a strong running game. Is our DL that good or is their OL that bad? Probably somewhere in the middle.
  • Hate the jumbo red zone package. It crowds the whole middle of the field and then tries to run their entire Defense. Doing this requires about 8 people to execute their block close to perfect. If we want to run inside, why not spread them out like FSU did to us when they scored their one TD and just clear the way? Was concerned at halftime that it could cost us. Luckily, it didn't.
  • Didn't see discussed much, but we were lucky Devito just barely crossed the goal line before fumbling. If he fumbles an instant earlier, it might have changed the game, as we were only up 6-0 to that point.
  • Special Teams continue to be great, best I've seen from SU in over 20 years. Lustig doing a great job.
  • Nice to see that run from Howard. Good to see him and Moe making people miss. Erv was great at that-Hope to see more of it.
  • Tough drop by Custis in the beginning, but very encouraging that he showed resilience and came back from it, making 2 very impressive catches.
  • That was a NFL INT from Frederick. Also impressed by Cisco's quick growth, not biting on FSU's trick play.
  • The amazing thing is we didn't even have much in terms of explosive plays. That was a B- game for our Offense. We can play better than that.
  • Bottom line, great win for the program. Puts us in position to have a great season

Last edited:
  • The DL won this game for us. I know that everyone was excited about Devito and he managed the game well, but the pressure from the DL was the biggest factor in this win.
  • OL stepped up in the second half. Probably helped that the FSU DL was tired, but they still were able to generally protect Tommy and more importantly, surround him with a strong running game. Is our DL that good or is their OL that bad? Probably somewhere in the middle.
  • Hate the jumbo red zone package. It crowds the whole middle of the field and then tries to run their entire Defense. Doing this requires about 8 people to execute their block close to perfect. If we want to run inside, why not spread them out like FSU did to us when they scored their one TD and just clear the way? Was concerned at halftime that it could cost us. Luckily, it didn't.
  • Didn't see discussed much, but we were lucky Devito just barely crossed the goal line before fumbling. If we fumbles an instant earlier, it might have changed the game, as we were only up 6-0 up that point.
  • Special Teams continue to be great, best I've seen from SU in over 20 years. Lustig doing a great job.
  • Nice to see that run from Howard. Good to see him and Moe making people miss. Erv was great at that-Hope to see more of it.
  • Tough drop by Custis in the beginning, but very encouraging that he showed resilience and came back from it, making 2 very impressive catches.
  • That was a NFL INT from Frederick. Also impressed by Cisco's quick growth, not biting on FSU's trick play.
  • The amazing thing is we didn't even have much in terms of explosive plays. That was a B- game for our Offense. We can play better than that.
  • Bottom line, great win for the program. Puts us in position to have a great season
I agree on every point, especially the play of the DL.

The jumbo red zone offense can work, we've had it work. The issue with FSU was NO ONE got a hit on #5. If you watch it almost every damn time #5 is running threw and blowing up the play, he also did it on a number of runs in the first half.
End of the day I would like to see more from our red zone offense.

I'm still not sure when DeVito lost control of the ball.

You know, come to think of it, I don't remember seeing anything really all that new vs. FSU. Maybe Dino was that confident in the team taking care of business at home to not show his full hand until we're in Death Valley next weekend. The DL gave me hope that we can maybe get some pressure on QBs this year without selling out our second level, hopefully getting QBs to get rattled and throw too quickly, and with ballhawks this year, we're finally seeing turnovers by the D.

Not that we should beat Clemson, but getting through UConn healthy and continuing to control the LOS gives me a lot of hope that we'll give them a fight.

Out of curiosity...is it because the OL zone blocks and doesn't work on the drive block as much, part of the reason they struggle so much in that jumbo package which I also am not a fan of whatsoever?

The jumbo red zone offense can work, we've had it work. The issue with FSU was NO ONE got a hit on #5. If you watch it almost every damn time #5 is running threw and blowing up the play, he also did it on a number of runs in the first half.

#5 was also the guy in perfect position to make the tackle when Jarveon faked him out of his jock.

I have to think Elmore or Kleinberg is going to catch a TD pass or two out of that offense at some point.

Also I did like when they ran the misdirection. FSU covered it well but that works more than it fails.

You know, come to think of it, I don't remember seeing anything really all that new vs. FSU. Maybe Dino was that confident in the team taking care of business at home to not show his full hand until we're in Death Valley next weekend. The DL gave me hope that we can maybe get some pressure on QBs this year without selling out our second level, hopefully getting QBs to get rattled and throw too quickly, and with ballhawks this year, we're finally seeing turnovers by the D.

Not that we should beat Clemson, but getting through UConn healthy and continuing to control the LOS gives me a lot of hope that we'll give them a fight.
guys, this is it. theres not much more to unveil on the offense that we haven't seen in year 3.

I thought it was very clear after he crossed the goal line both live and on replay.

Yeah, whether you agree with the premise or not - once you "break the plane of the goal line", you've scored a TD. It doesn't matter what happens even a few milliseconds later.

And to reverse the TD call on the field, there would have to be clear evidence the ball came out (or he was down) prior to breaking the plane.
Which there was not - it was abundantly clear he got the entire ball into the endzone, and only then lost the handle. But the play is over then, so that doesn't matter.

Devito scares me every time he runs the ball. I fear he is going to cough it up. On one draw play ran up the middle and the whole defense was one him. I held my breath the whole time he was in the pile until the blew the play dead.
His arms just look so small. I guess I’m used to Dungey flexing everywhere lol

I love Cisco. He almost had an interception along the sideline early in the first. Really the only reason it wasn’t is because the pass was badly thrown. If it was on target to the receiver Cisco would have had an easy pick. We all know and love him here but I think he is going to be the one to announce himself to the nation when we play Clemson.

Devito scares me every time he runs the ball. I fear he is going to cough it up. On one draw play ran up the middle and the whole defense was one him. I held my breath the whole time he was in the pile until the blew the play dead.
His arms just look so small. I guess I’m used to Dungey flexing everywhere lol

I love Cisco. He almost had an interception along the sideline early in the first. Really the only reason it wasn’t is because the pass was badly thrown. If it was on target to the receiver Cisco would have had an easy pick. We all know and love him here but I think he is going to be the one to announce himself to the nation when we play Clemson.

Devito is bigger (6'2", 212) and faster as a FS-Frosh, than Wake's John Wolford (6'1", 200) was as a Senior.

Were you afraid for Wolford last year, when he ran amok against us? :confused:

PS - Lamar Jackson is 6'3" 212. Worried about him?

guys, this is it. theres not much more to unveil on the offense that we haven't seen in year 3.

Play wise? Close to it. Run effeciently? Not yet. It can get much better. And it will.

Devito is bigger (6'2", 212) and faster as a FS-Frosh, than Wake's John Wolford (6'1", 200) was as a Senior.

Devito is 6'2, 212? Hmmm.

Please please please don't take this as anti-Dungey, but does it seem to anyone else like the offense feeds off of Dungey's frenetic, almost spazz-like energy and acts similarly, but looked a little calmer, for lack of a better word, when DeVito was out there?

I understand DeVito did nothing against WMU (didn't see the Wagner game) and Dungey had to come back in to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but I'm just saying.

I am 5’10” and he don’t have much on me or Dungey is 6’6” is another comparison. I think he is maybe 6’ maybe. Who cares though he played smart and tough. I am happy for the kid.

Please please please don't take this as anti-Dungey, but does it seem to anyone else like the offense feeds off of Dungey's frenetic, almost spazz-like energy and acts similarly, but looked a little calmer, for lack of a better word, when DeVito was out there?

I understand DeVito did nothing against WMU (didn't see the Wagner game) and Dungey had to come back in to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but I'm just saying.
No.

I worry about Dungey fumbling the ball 100% more than DeVito. Some of these posters just love busting DeVito's cookies. That first long pass to Custis was an NFL throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom