LAX Conference Expansion | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Conference Expansion

FSU could have a solid Men's Team...there are some VG Lax players in Florida. Also, I suspect they could recruit well from TX to New England.

They would get lots of home contests in February and March.
Definitely. The story has long been that they have a sugar daddy who will pay for both teams if they can get their Title IX numbers to work. If they start a women's team and not both at the same time, they're signaling they most probably won't have a men's team.

Rumor was they offered lots of cash for Tucker.

I bet UM is adding Women's Lax and joining in '24
any idea where the rumor on tucker came from?

in the spring, one of um's 2 big boosters said they were working hard on bringing softball and mens golf in. since that time, that booster brought his company public thru a spac, where it promptly went from 10 to 1 in a couple days once merged. first world problems.

he and they have also been recently targeted by the nc$$ for nil goings on as the org is trying to get their hands around it.

my guess, they have other fish to fry. and if there is an announcement, it's a move from mcla d2 to mcla d1.

any idea where the rumor on tucker came from?

in the spring, one of um's 2 big boosters said they were working hard on bringing softball and mens golf in. since that time, that booster brought his company public thru a spac, where it promptly went from 10 to 1 in a couple days once merged. first world problems.

he and they have also been recently targeted by the nc$$ for nil goings on as the org is trying to get their hands around it.

my guess, they have other fish to fry. and if there is an announcement, it's a move from mcla d2 to mcla d1.
Yes, I do (rumor) but I can't divulge my sources or methods.

I agree. Women's team. Hopefully, FSU can get its numbers straight to start both teams, as long rumored.

FWIW the tweet came from their men's lacrosse account, not women's. I doubt they are announcing a move for the men to DI, but don't think they would tease something for the women's team on the men's twitter account.

FWIW the tweet came from their men's lacrosse account, not women's. I doubt they are announcing a move for the men to DI, but don't think they would tease something for the women's team on the men's twitter account.
Good insight...so maybe...

Maybe ARod bought the team?

So if Notre Dame heads for the Big 10, and UVA and UNC head to the SEC, what will happen to ACC lacrosse?

So if Notre Dame heads for the Big 10, and UVA and UNC head to the SEC, what will happen to ACC lacrosse?
Syracuse will become an Indy again and play a great schedule

Since the SEC never heard of Men's LAX, we'll probably still play UNC, UVA, and Duke every year.

Plus all the other usual suspects.

Just replace Notre Dame with Princeton or Loyola or Colgate.
What about going back to the Big East?

What about going back to the Big East?

SU and Duke will be in a conference that no longer supports MLAX.

UVA and UNC will also be members of a conference that doesn't support MLAX.

Maybe the BE can take all four of us?

If Syracuse can’t join either the zombie Big 10 or Sec then the issues will be far greater than lacrosse affiliation. Those two conferences will be where all the money is at. Haven’t seen anything confirmed about the ACC schools leaving for the SEC other than a Swim account floating it so we should all probably wait till more information comes out. One thing is for sure this current situation feels really untenable.

Since the ACC is not a recognized conference in MLax, in the eyes of the NCAA, "the ACC" is five independent schools playing for at-large bids to the tournament. There is nothing to stop them from continuing to play each other beyond hurt feelings.

Since the ACC is not a recognized conference in MLax, in the eyes of the NCAA, "the ACC" is five independent schools playing for at-large bids to the tournament. There is nothing to stop them from continuing to play each other beyond hurt feelings.
Some of us can remember that when UMd left the ACC for the Big 10, Coach K came out and said "Duke will not play Maryland in any sports".

The ACC teams do name an All-ACC team, and have their games on the ACC network. They have their league schedule, so they are a league in other ways.

If neither the ACC or the SEC supported mlax, then the 4 teams could form a league - perhaps adding in 2 other schools to give them 6.

Some of us can remember that when UMd left the ACC for the Big 10, Coach K came out and said "Duke will not play Maryland in any sports".

The ACC teams do name an All-ACC team, and have their games on the ACC network. They have their league schedule, so they are a league in other ways.

If neither the ACC or the SEC supported mlax, then the 4 teams could form a league - perhaps adding in 2 other schools to give them 6.
you forgot to say starsia also! ha.
if duke, or 'cuse or nd decided to drop one or all of their former conference members from scheduling, that'd likely be their loss. as there will probably continue to be a bevy of now good teams that'll want to get on the docket.

and yes, conference members. they're only not considered for an aq, because they don't have enough conference members for one. that's exactly how the nc$$ language reads also. nothing about them not being considered a conference.

as it is, prelim feelers for nd's next potential tv contract is probably the key to anything in the next several years, imo. everybody's contract will then be set up for the next 5? years. excepting the acc, of course.

So MSU decides to upgrade both their MLAX and WLAX club teams to D1 status, and the Big Ten tells Hopkins to take a hike.

Who's with me?
{crickets}

As much as I would love to have JHU in the ACC,
A. I doubt MD would allow that to happen.
B. I can't imagine why the B1G would want to do that.

If MSU actually decides to return to D1, it will be a long while before they do anything more than play UM for 6th place (assuming PSU hasn't totally collapsed).

Last edited:
I don't see Hopkins leaving because MSU is added.
Hopkins' lacrosse tradition brings a lot of value to Big Ten lacrosse. Further the Big Ten teams get a game in Baltimore, one of the major hotbeds of lacrosse.
From Hopkins' side, one more game isn't going to make them have to drop much. An odd number of teams would mean that they would have an open weekend later in the spring for a big OOC game.

FYIkrlkXwAEzJ2C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom