Let's say we are disappointing again this year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Let's say we are disappointing again this year

first, you and I have no idea what the board looked like for Syracuse. they don't, and shouldn't, pick up a copy of espn top 100 and say these are the kids we want. They evaluate kids that they want and go from there. Brissett and Marek were not going to be ranked in any top 100 because of where they lived. I don't predict much but I will predict that we will be happy we got these two kids.

Honestly the staff has done as well as can be expected the last two seasons scrambling late in the cycle. Last season we got Thompson, Gillon and White. This season we wound up with Brissett, Sidibe, Washington, Dolezaj and Thorpe. They also added Hughes and were ever so close to getting Tucker had Duke not decided to add him.

first, you and I have no idea what the board looked like for Syracuse. they don't, and shouldn't, pick up a copy of espn top 100 and say these are the kids we want. They evaluate kids that they want and go from there. Brissett and Marek were not going to be ranked in any top 100 because of where they lived. I don't predict much but I will predict that we will be happy we got these two kids.

I hope OB, MD and the other guys do well. Do I know for sure? No. But I do believe if given a choice we would've taken some of those top 100 guys first. It didn't pan out that way. C'est la vie. It's ok if you think MD, HW, GT were desired over the top 100.

I agree. But unfortunately it's kind of coulda woulda shoulda... we did miss those guys. We lost Swider, and about 40% of the top 100 in 2018 are now committed.

I acknowledged we have a downward trend. We miss handled the Green situation terribly and wound up behind the eight ball late in the cycle. We are in danger of getting into that territory again in the 2018 class.

I hope OB, MD and the other guys do well. Do I know for sure? No. But I do believe if given a choice we would've taken some of those top 100 guys first. It didn't pan out that way. C'est la vie. It's ok if you think MD, HW, GT were desired over the top 100.
Obviously Green was #1 on our board. Tucker and Randolph were higher as well. We really didn't even want HW. And as posted the other day, they are really surprised at how talented he is. much better than they thought. Thorpe was a great pick up because we didn't land Green. But Thorpe is a good player. I will tell you this, once they saw Marek, they really wanted him. And were going to take him regardless of whether they got anyone else.

Obviously Green was #1 on our board. Tucker and Randolph were higher as well. We really didn't even want HW. And as posted the other day, they are really surprised at how talented he is. much better than they thought. Thorpe was a great pick up because we didn't land Green. But Thorpe is a good player. I will tell you this, once they saw Marek, they really wanted him. And were going to take him regardless of whether they got anyone else.

Can these guys get us competing with the top 10-15 in the country though. That's the only way the criticism will go away.

I wasn't insinuating that. I was stating that. When you have been around the block with this team for 45 years, it does give you a perspective on things that you don't get when you are around for say 10 years. If you were around in the 80's, than you remember how we were hurt by the sanctions the last time. It knocked the crap out of us. Donyall Marshall and the kid from Mich were two kids right off the top of my head we lost because of those sanctions. The difference this time is that the coach is 72. Not 47. And that is a big difference I will grant you.

Yes, I recall losing Donyell Marshall, he was a huge Owens fan near his hometown of Carlisle in nearby Reading. We all but had him locked up...today, we would've argued he certainly gave us that infamous "silent verbal." ;) However, losing Marshall was a bit different in that we lost him under the building speculation that the NCAA hammer was coming down on us, the sanctions were still unknown as they were yet not announced by the NCAA. Our recent misses and losses on the recruiting trail are happening with "known" sanctions. The sanctions have had no effect on the kids we are now losing on in that regard, meaning, these kids know they're still able to play in ALL post season tournaments, etc. So, it really doesn't impact the kid's decision.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the biggest reason by far has to do with the aforementioned misses, both on whom we didn't get and the ones we did that aren't really ACC caliber type, transferred, etc. I also feel that the cloud over precisely when JB may retire, etc. hurt the program larger than the actual sanctions as well. Bottom line is that even with the sanctions, we still had enough scollies to offer our prime targets. The fact that we whiffed on practically 100% of those guys and had to settle for whatever we could is why (for the most part) where we are today...a three years in the making mediocre middle of the pack ACC team, looking at a 4th, unless the team pleasantly exceeds expectations. As a lifelong fan, I hope they do.

edit: I don't recall the Michigan kid we lost due to the "Out of Bounds" expose. The only one that comes to mind is Winfred Walton, but we lost him due to academics/admissions.

Last edited:
OK, just for conversation, let's say that SU goes 18-13 in the regular season, with 3 OOC losses and then goes 8-10 in the ACC, and we miss the tournament again.

On top of that, let's say when we are done that we have an underwhelming recruiting class coming in for 2018, and have to rely again on a handful of last-minute 5th year grad transfers. But Buddy is one of the recruits.

How much rope does Wildhack give to JB? Does anyone think he will give JB the full four years to see Buddy through the program, if we are no longer winning 20 games a year and have a hard time making the tournament? When is enough enough?
Let's say we're not

Yes, I recall losing Donyell Marshall, he was a huge Owens fan near his hometown of Carlisle in nearby Reading. We all but had him locked up...today, we would've argued he certainly gave us that infamous "silent verbal." ;) However, losing Marshall was a bit different in that we lost him under the building speculation that the NCAA hammer was coming down on us, the sanctions were still unknown as they were yet not announced by the NCAA. Our recent misses and losses on the recruiting trail are happening with "known" sanctions. The sanctions have had no effect on the kids we are now losing on in that regard, meaning, these kids know they're still able to play in ALL post season tournaments, etc. So, it really doesn't impact the kid's decision.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the biggest reason by far has to do with the aforementioned misses, both on whom we didn't get and the ones we did that aren't really ACC caliber type, transferred, etc. I also feel that the cloud over precisely when JB may retire, etc. hurt the program larger than the actual sanctions as well. Bottom line is that even with the sanctions, we still had enough scollies to offer our prime targets. The fact that we whiffed on practically 100% of those guys and had to settle for whatever we could is why (for the most part) where we are today...a three years in the making mediocre middle of the pack ACC team, looking at a 4th, unless the team pleasantly exceeds expectations. As a lifelong fan, I hope they do.

edit: I don't recall the Michigan kid we lost due to the "Out of Bounds" expose. The only one that comes to mind is Winfred Walton, but we lost him due to academics/admissions.
Jalen Rose.

I recall really being in the hunt for him, but that he simply preferred to stay closer to home and be a part of the Fab Five.
Well, he was ours, Staying closer to home had nothing to do with it. The X factor was that Rose's coach ended up going to Mich as an ass't. He ended up getting the head job at Detroit.

8-10 in the ACC with 6 games against BC, Pitt and Wake Forest would be totally unacceptable and I personally hope he would retire because I'd be sick of the product we put out there.
Agree. Make no mistake though this team is not winning less than 10 games in conference. Tons and tons of talent.

Not yet? We are 60-42 overall the last 3 seasons, a winning percentage of less than 59%, with only 1 NCAA tournament appearance. We are 28-26 in the ACC and have finished 7th, 9th and 8th the last 3 years. How much worse do we have to get?

Today was a big day, got a much needed highly rated recruit, this year is big, have to make the tourney, if we don't, I think its fair to have some serious concerns.

first, you and I have no idea what the board looked like for Syracuse. they don't, and shouldn't, pick up a copy of espn top 100 and say these are the kids we want. They evaluate kids that they want and go from there. Brissett and Marek were not going to be ranked in any top 100 because of where they lived. I don't predict much but I will predict that we will be happy we got these two kids. I don't mean to insinuate that marek was targeted by the staff. I think we got very lucky with him.

Dude, you've said this 100 times. This is apparently your new meme. But offers get reported on social media and are tracked by web sites. A whole industry exists and much money is made tracking recruiting. We know who is on Syracuse's "board" because they don't offer dozens of players; they offer a handful, and then put lots and lots of effort into building relationships with those kids.

No, we don't usually get them all, but we usually get a couple of our top targets. The last couple years we have not. Just look at how many Plan B kids we have taken, who then transferred out. There's your proof right there. Was Chino Obokoh the kid on top of our board for big men? Was Kaleb Joseph our top PG choice? Was BJ Johnson someone we chased after for SF, or did we settle for him? Was Ron Patterson a kid at the top of our board?

Dude, you've said this 100 times. This is apparently your new meme. But offers get reported on social media and are tracked by web sites. A whole industry exists and much money is made tracking recruiting. We know who is on Syracuse's "board" because they don't offer dozens of players; they offer a handful, and then put lots and lots of effort into building relationships with those kids.

No, we don't usually get them all, but we usually get a couple of our top targets. The last couple years we have not. Just look at how many Plan B kids we have taken, who then transferred out. There's your proof right there. Was Chino Obokoh the kid on top of our board for big men? Was Kaleb Joseph our top PG choice? Was BJ Johnson someone we chased after for SF, or did we settle for him? Was Ron Patterson a kid at the top of our board?
:)
Dude, Bazley!!

There is a downward trend but we are also a couple players away from this board saying recruiting is great! Had we gotten Green and Randolf people would be gaga over the class of Green, Randolf, Brissett, Sidibie and whoever else we added. I think most peoples issue with Green was that we allowed him to play us until our other legitimate PG options were no longer available. The Randolf situation was an anomaly that you just don't see in recruiting.
Exactly. And you could replace Randolph with Tucker and it would be a happy recruiting board. Or Washington or Ayala in place of Green. We obviously miscalculated and there were behind the scenes issues, but I think 2018 should hopefully be back to normal.

Dude, I said it because it is 100% correct. We have a board that had three names at the top of it. Swider, Bazley and Carey. We came very close with Swider. It didn't work out. We got Bazley. If we just wanted a top 40 kid, we would have taken Jones. He would have committed before we got done offering. Just yesterday you called me senile. Which only makes you look bad. If any mod had bothered to read your post, you would probably have got a few days off. Try adding something to the board. You never add information or any real insight. Just temper tantrums. The least you could do is at least be polite. Yesterday, we got Bazley. That on a day that you were ranting about another terrible recruiting year. The fact is dude, you have no idea who the staff (JB) has high on his board. And you won't find out reading the different sites. The staff likes Roberts a lot more than some kids that are rated a lot higher. And of course we add plan b's. When you strike out on your main targets, you look for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to chime in with something. I got a Twitter DM from someone with a strong rooting interest. He wanted to make sure that people know that Howard Washington Jr was in the ESPN60 as a sophomore and a top 100-ranked recruit at Montverde before going to Canada, where these kids are no longer ranked. He was one of only 10 pure PG's in his class to be in the ESPN60 (some chump named Lonzo Ball also made the list). The DM also mentioned that Oshae Brissett was a top 100 recruit at Findlay Prep.

I think Howard Washington will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in with something. I got a Twitter DM from someone with a strong rooting interest. He wanted to make sure that people know that Howard Waahington Jr was in the ESPN60 as a sophomore and a top 100-ranked recruit at Montverde before going to Canada, where these kids are not longer ranked. He was one of only 10 pure PG's in his class to be in the ESPN60 (some chump named Lonzo Ball also made the list). The DM also mentioned that Oshae Brissett was a top 100 recruit at Findlay Prep.

i think Howard Washington will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.
but the rating services, the rating services...

I just wanted to chime in with something. I got a Twitter DM from someone with a strong rooting interest. He wanted to make sure that people know that Howard Washington Jr was in the ESPN60 as a sophomore and a top 100-ranked recruit at Montverde before going to Canada, where these kids are no longer ranked. He was one of only 10 pure PG's in his class to be in the ESPN60 (some chump named Lonzo Ball also made the list). The DM also mentioned that Oshae Brissett was a top 100 recruit at Findlay Prep.

Yep...i know I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm pretty high on Washington and I think he contributes much more early on then people think he will. This notion that he's not athletic enough to play etc is crap to me. He's plenty good enough of a athlete and that's exactly right...hes a pure pg! We don't need him to be a trevon duval type player we need him to facilitate and make others better and run a offense (which we have desperately needed) and knock down some shots when open. I think everyone myself included tends to get wrapped up too much into stars/rankings and mixtapes of crazy explosive dunks. That's nice and all but it doesn't mean everything.

once again the basketball side takes the cake... JAB built this program but now is "holding it hostage" and hurting Hop and is *just* like Bowden. I'd give my left nut to have a similar issue with Babers in 15 years.

C'mon. If you want to kill him, blame his NCAA violations (even though we know they are crooked as hell) that led to the slow down in recruiting momentum. That's like 90% of the issue, but people want to focus on minute stuff.

"Alternative fact" alert: "The last couple of years" of missing out on top targets is not accurate. It was one year--2017. For 2016 we landed 3 top 100 recruits, most of them the primary guys we targeted. I think we would have gotten Huerter, too, if not for the scholarship reduction. Let's see what happens for 2018. But one recruiting cycle does not make a trend.

Spot on. The quote below is directly from ESPN's own story/assessment of Bazley's decision, where Syracuse goes from here, and who we have coming in:

"...and incoming freshman O’Shae Brissett, who would have been an easy ESPN 100 selection a year ago had he been eligible."

ESPN ackowldges it doesn't rate/evaluate foreign or Canadian prospects who don't play or prep in the States.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom