Local eats | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Local eats

Any reviewers?

Yeah ok I’ll be the first reviewer.

First off. Crap parking. West Jefferson street. At the MOST.
Small little cookie kitchen. Literally what it says. Lots of cookies, they had platters out for im guessing graduations. But they had a bunch of different cookies. Their website list them. But I went traditional, got a chocolate chip, then went with a s’mores, and lastly a cookies and cream.
I think I’ll go with 7.1 on the chocolate chip.
S’mores, will get a 7.5
And Cookies and cream, 8.1.

I’m trying to find cool local places to try and then to also support.

Small little cookie kitchen. Literally what it says. Lots of cookies, they had platters out for im guessing graduations. But they had a bunch of different cookies. Their website list them. But I went traditional, got a chocolate chip, then went with a s’mores, and lastly a cookies and cream.
S’mores, will get a 7.5

The parking isn’t that bad there. I can usually find a spot within two blocks even on a weekend night.

The parking isn’t that bad there. I can usually find a spot within two blocks even on a weekend night.
Im completely unfamiliar with the location other than years and years ago when I went to the MOST but I just parked where I probably shouldn’t have but I was only in the store for like 3 minutes.

Im completely unfamiliar with the location other than years and years ago when I went to the MOST but I just parked where I probably shouldn’t have but I was only in the store for like 3 minutes.
Comedy Love GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

So Danny's Cheesesteaks on Walton Street (which is OK, nothing more, nothing less) has a ghost kitchen called Decir Algo serving tacos out of their restaurant. And you can order them right there at Danny's counter, so it's not a ghost kitchen at all, really - just an under-advertised secondary concept.

Anyway, their birria tacos are excellent.
Thanks those birria tacos were so good

S’mores, will get a 7.5

Provisions used to have fantastic cookies.

Thanks those birria tacos were so good
Speaking of tacos, anybody else take a ride out Rt 20 past Caz to Nelson? Worth the ride to check out Mad Tacos a small roadhouse type place on the corner of Rt 20 and Erieville Rd. Nice selection of tacos, quesadillas and burritos and offers weekly/seasonal specials and a decent bar. Good food and good prices.

Speaking of tacos, anybody else take a ride out Rt 20 past Caz to Nelson? Worth the ride to check out Mad Tacos a small roadhouse type place on the corner of Rt 20 and Erieville Rd. Nice selection of tacos, quesadillas and burritos and offers weekly/seasonal specials and a decent bar. Good food and good prices.

I like them a lot, but IMO it's more of a "if you're passing through and/or within 15 minutes and have time to spare" place rather than a "make a special 45-minute mission for tacos" kind of place. (To put it into context, Ray Brothers, a good 15-20 minutes farther from the Cuse, is a "make a special mission for BBQ kind of place" for me.)

But Mad Tacos has good food and a nice atmosphere.

Anyone try this place yet? It sounds promising…..

Had dinner at Il Limone tonight and it was excellent. Started with a pizza and it was great, thin and perfectly cooked with a nice snap to the crust. Three pasta dishes and a chicken parm, all got thumbs up and full belly’s. Side note, the owner of the former Graziano’s near the boxing HOF was at the table next to us. He gave great complements and took a peek at the pizza oven before he left. Moving good for a 100 year old WW2 veteran.

Anything But Beer is closing...this is a good thing

That's a very difficult location; I'm almost surprised they lasted this long.

They seemed like the nicest people, and it was a neat niche addition to the scene, but my one and only meal there was really not my cup of tea.

That's a very difficult location; I'm almost surprised they lasted this long.

They seemed like the nicest people, and it was a neat niche addition to the scene, but my one and only meal there was really not my cup of tea.
Hate to rag on anyone trying to make it in the restaurant business. Just had nothing but very bad experiences with both the drinks and especially the food. Tried takeout from there once and it was inedible. In person not much better. Then there is the whole "Anything but Beer' name despite them in fact selling a few beers! The location is near an area of salina that is going through a pretty substantial rebirth. I know past experiences would make one think it is cursed, but a standard solid bar with simple but good food would have a shot at success IMO. The environment itself is very nice at that spot.

Hate to rag on anyone trying to make it in the restaurant business. Just had nothing but very bad experiences with both the drinks and especially the food. Tried takeout from there once and it was inedible. In person not much better. Then there is the whole "Anything but Beer' name despite them in fact selling a few beers! The location is near an area of salina that is going through a pretty substantial rebirth. I know past experiences would make one think it is cursed, but a standard solid bar with simple but good food would have a shot at success IMO. The environment itself is very nice at that spot.

Yup, environment is very nice.

I had some kind of "Cuban sandwich" that maybe was on a fried plantain instead of bread (you know, because they're gluten-free)? Inedible is the best way to describe it. The effort was there, I think the meat was actually good, but there's a reason sandwiches are made with bread. Just not my kind of food.

Went there last year. Across the street a guy was OD. Wife (RN) went to help, but some responders got there first.

Went to Brian's Landing last night, the prime rib and sirloin over udon were two of the best steaks I've had in a long time. Peanut butter bread pudding was very good, too.

Nice, that sounds fantastic. Gotta give them another try. Had a really average meal at their old Green Lakes venue, but it sounds like the Jamesville location is more consistently good.

Ugh

Yeah, heard this a couple days ago. Sad.

They really took a beating over the years but generally they were an OK place and a positive addition to the scene. Beer Belly came in at the inflection point when Westcott began to emerge out of the dirty and forlorn '00s era and become a bit more of a destination (albeit still with a dirty and forlorn edge).

That said, I thought the food was crappy after Ben bought the place three or four years ago and the physical space (especially the decrepit bathrooms) has gotten tired.

If Norm's able to set the rent at a reasonable level, this storefront is poised to host a new business owner who can take the baton from Beer Belly and really improve on their weak points. (This is what seems to be happening with Stout Beard's adjacent departure.) It's a nice opportunity, we'll see who steps up.

Last edited:
Nice, that sounds fantastic. Gotta give them another try. Had a really average meal at their old Green Lakes venue, but it sounds like the Jamesville location is more consistently good.
My same reaction but it seems the Jamesville location may be a different menu/presentation entirely

Yeah, heard this a couple days ago. Sad.

They really took a beating over the years but generally they were an OK place and a positive addition to the scene. Beer Belly came in at the inflection point when Westcott began to emerge out of the dirty and forlorn '00s era and become a bit more of a destination (albeit still with a dirty and forlorn edge).

That said, I thought the food was crappy after Ben bought the place three or four years ago and the physical space (especially the decrepit bathrooms) has gotten tired.

If Norm's able to set the rent at a reasonable level, this storefront is poised to host a new business owner who can take the baton from Beer Belly and really improve on their week points. (This is what seems to be happening with Stout Beard's adjacent departure.) It's a nice opportunity, we'll see who steps up.

Yeah it was a much needed addition to Westcott. They started to fall off a bit after they took the tots off the menu. Terrible business decision!