Looking at 2020 recruiting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at 2020 recruiting

Think again. Next year will be the bottom. We lose Hughes and have no one who can replace his scoring load. JB’s best hope for a tourney invite will come in what looks to be his last year.

Edwards will take minutes from Sidibe, Marek will be better and Newton, Braswell and Guerrier all battle for minutes.

Goodine will be better and kadary will play a lot. Buddy and JG3 will compete for minutes more than play with each other.

JG3 can play the point, but he will be more efficient at the 2.

Edwards will take minutes from Sidibe, Marek will be better and Newton, Braswell and Guerrier all battle for minutes.

Goodine will be better and kadary will play a lot. Buddy and JG3 will compete for minutes more than play with each other.

JG3 can play the point, but he will be more efficient at the 2.

Goodine, Richmond and Newton will rarely play. Not the way JB hands out minutes. Richmond offers something we currently don’t have — a penetrating point guard — but I think it’ll be difficult for him to find minutes.

I agree about Edwards.

The younger guys will improve but not enough to make up for the loss of Hughes.

I think that any coach who has played the position that they are coaching is exponentially better prepared to teach than one who hasn't. There is no substitute for real experience. That doesn't mean that there are not great position coaches that never played the position as there are many of them. I just believe that its a huge advantage.
So, Elvir Ovcina (any coach who has played the position) should be on our short list of big men coaches, and should have fired Bernie Fine upon graduation.

Last edited:
Goodine, Richmond and Newton will rarely play. Not the way JB hands out minutes. Richmond offers something we currently don’t have — a penetrating point guard — but I think it’ll be difficult for him to find minutes.

I agree about Edwards.

The younger guys will improve but not enough to make up for the loss of Hughes.
Richmond and Newton both play. If Guerrier and or Braswell improve maybe Newton doesn't play but I doubt they both beat him out.

Goodine might not play.

JB's preferred rotation is. 1 guard sub, 1 forward sub, 1 center sub. ( 8 total)

If he plays a 3 guard line or has a forward that can back up at center he will go 7 deep.

This year is not the norm.

We are playing 3 guards 40 minutes, and if Marek didn't get in foul trouble he will be playing 40 minutes too.

I know it was mentioned early how “we are the easiest team to prepare for.” But on the college Basketball subreddit there was a former ACC player who said preparing for Syracuse was one of the harder teams to do it for due to the fact they play a zone. Anecdotal but players seem to find it hard to prepare for.

I don't know if it was Boeheim or Bilas a few years ago, but someone said that we take away about 80% of the other team's offensive plays, which are usually all geared to man-to-man. That's one of the big advantages. It also makes certain players take shots from locations where they are not usually shooting the ball (e.g., big men with foul line jumpers or 3 point shooters from a couple feet farther out from the line).

Richmond and Newton both play. If Guerrier and or Braswell improve maybe Newton doesn't play but I doubt they both beat him out.

Goodine might not play.

JB's preferred rotation is. 1 guard sub, 1 forward sub, 1 center sub. ( 8 total)

If he plays a 3 guard line or has a forward that can back up at center he will go 7 deep.

This year is not the norm.

We are playing 3 guards 40 minutes, and if Marek didn't get in foul trouble he will be playing 40 minutes too.

I’ve seen Richmond and Newton play. Both have nice potential but I doubt they see much time. Richmond would take minutes from Girard or Buddy. That’s not likely to happen. Richmond is an odd fit at SF, so PG or SG is the only real option.

Newton will be behind Marek, Quincy and Braswell. He’s allergic to rebounding and needs to add bulk, but I like him down the road.

I’ve seen Richmond and Newton play. Both have nice potential but I doubt they see much time. Richmond would take minutes from Girard or Buddy. That’s not likely to happen. Richmond is an odd fit at SF, so PG or SG is the only real option.

Newton will be behind Marek, Quincy and Braswell. He’s allergic to rebounding and needs to add bulk, but I like him down the road.

If Fair and Grant can play together Newton and Marek can play together. Newton shoots better Guerrier and Braswell doesn't rebound.

JB LOVES big guards! Richmond plays.

Carey was suppose to be the PG, it didn't work out.

I’m a realist.

Who picks up for Hughes’ scoring next year? Braswell? Newton?

Buddy is scoring about what we can expect. Girard may score a little more but not much. Same with Dolezaj. And we know we aren’t getting much from the center position.

Maybe Quincy scores a bit more, but probably not more to offset the loss of Hughes.

It’s just an honest perspective.
Except it isn’t. Guys like you predict doomsday scenarios every single year and every single year the team outperforms your expectations. Maybe you’ll be right one of these years, but so far your track record is awful.

Maybe when we missed on IJ, a five star big, we didn’t have a backup plan because there’s no need for another developmental guy at that spot right now. The staff sees Edwards and JBA everyday in practice and if they are confident that they’ll be contributors next year and/or beyond there’s not a pressing need for another guy at that spot who isn’t a game changer from day one.
IJ wasn’t a target. The class was set with Newton and Richardson and then IJ reached out. He was considered a luxury, not a necessity, so that’s why there isn’t a backup plan.

Edwards is the future.

If Fair and Grant can play together Newton and Marek can play together. Newton shoots better Guerrier and Braswell doesn't rebound.

JB LOVES big guards! Richmond plays.

Carey was suppose to be the PG, it didn't work out.

He loves big guards but he may love Girard better.

Except it isn’t. Guys like you predict doomsday scenarios every single year and every single year the team outperforms your expectations. Maybe you’ll be right one of these years, but so far your track record is awful.

Oh, it is?

I thought the ceiling for the football team was 7-5 last year. The won 5 games. So how about my doomsday prediction? I just didn’t think they’d have a good to great year like many did. I was right.

This year I felt the basketball team was in the 17-19 win neighborhood. Not a dire prediction, but many thought they’d surpass that. Now it looks like 15-16 wins.

Just calling it like I see it. I know that’s not accepted by many here.

Oh, it is?

I thought the ceiling for the football team was 7-5 last year. The won 5 games. So how about my doomsday prediction? I just didn’t think they’d have a good to great year like many did. I was right.

This year I felt the basketball team was in the 17-19 win neighborhood. Not a dire prediction, but many thought they’d surpass that. Now it looks like 15-16 wins.

Just calling it like I see it. I know that’s not accepted by many here.
Wasn’t talking about football.

This season’s not over yet. But I’m guessing you didn’t think we’d make the tournament last year or the year before.

Wasn’t talking about football.

This season’s not over yet. But I’m guessing you didn’t think we’d make the tournament last year or the year before.

No. Actually, I thought we were a bubble team both years. That’s about where we finished. Just a little better.

No. Actually, I thought we were a bubble team both years. That’s about where we finished. Just a little better.
If you say so.

Just an example:

Anyone who knew the 2009-2010 team would be better than the 2008-2009 after loosing Paul Harris, Devo, and Jonny Flynn is being disingenuous at best.

2009-2010 played 7 guys Ricky played forward and back up center.

Losing Hughes is not a death sentence, overall the team next year will be bigger and more athletic and our shooters won't forget how to shoot.

Currently our best 2 players at getting to the basket are forwards (Hughes and Marek) and neither one of them are great at it.

The parts don't fit well.

Both the incoming fresh will address team needs and will improve the sum of the parts.

Just an example:

Anyone who knew the 2009-2010 team would be better than the 2008-2009 after loosing Paul Harris, Devo, and Jonny Flynn is being disingenuous at best.

2009-2010 played 7 guys Ricky played forward and back up center.

Losing Hughes is not a death sentence, overall the team next year will be bigger and more athletic and our shooters won't forget how to shoot.

Currently our best 2 players at getting to the basket are forwards (Hughes and Marek) and neither one of them are great at it.

The parts don't fit well.

Both the incoming fresh will address team needs and will improve the sum of the parts.

The problem is JB only plays 7 once the season settles in.

Next year’s lineup:
Buddy
Girard
Dolezaj
Sidibe/Edwards
Guerrier/Braswell

That’s seven. If Washington and Goodine get some minutes, that’s 9.

JB isn’t going deeper than that. That means Ajak, Newton and Richmond aren’t playing.

I’m not even counting Carey at this time. If he returns, there’s even less time for others.

He loves big guards but he may love Girard better.
Watch Girard's ability to close out on 3pt shooters.

JB loves big guards because they help the defense he loves to play...it's not a fetish!

The problem is JB only plays 7 once the season settles in.

Next year’s lineup:
Buddy
Girard
Dolezaj
Sidibe/Edwards
Guerrier/Braswell

That’s seven. If Washington and Goodine get some minutes, that’s 9.

JB isn’t going deeper than that. That means Ajak, Newton and Richmond aren’t playing.

I’m not even counting Carey at this time. If he returns, there’s even less time for others.
He only plays 7 if he has the flexible to sub 1 guard, 1 forward, and 1 center with his starting 5 and 2 sub the line-up above does not do that.

09-10

Triche/Scoop
Rautins/Triche
Wes /Cris Jo
Ricky/Wes
AO/Ricky

He only plays 7 if he has the flexible to sub 1 guard, 1 forward, and 1 center with his starting 5 and 2 sub the line-up above does not do that.

09-10

Triche/Scoop
Rautins/Triche
Wes /Cris Jo
Ricky/Wes
AO/Ricky

A big exception to the rule. I can find many seasons — and you know it — where that wasn’t the case. That was a talented team with a talented bench. That won’t be the case next year.

JB isn’t taking minutes from Buddy and Girard, and Marek will play close to 40 minutes.

The best chance for Newton and Richmond is if there’s a few transfers. And there very well may be.

How do we know who’s playing in 10 months? Everybody at this point last year had Carey being this years PG and Buddy not even in any lineup.

We don’t know. But we can guess. And to say that nobody had Buddy in any lineup coming off last year is ludicrous.

A big exception to the rule. I can find many seasons — and you know it — where that wasn’t the case. That was a talented team with a talented bench. That won’t be the case next year.

JB isn’t taking minutes from Buddy and Girard, and Marek will play close to 40 minutes.

The best chance for Newton and Richmond is if there’s a few transfers. And there very well may be.
That is the point. No you can't.
The 07-08 team only played 6 but that was because Andy and Devo tore their ACLs.
It is almost always 7 or 8 depending on the roster construction.
The 11-12 team played 9 and that was his deepest team.

He is playing these guys out necessity because of the lack of talent and readiness on the roster, but it's not JB's m.o.

We don’t know. But we can guess. And to say that nobody had Buddy in any lineup coming off last year is ludicrous.

yeah nobody was saying that last non-conference season when he was shooting 12%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom