Looks like Coach was right | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Coach was right

Status
Not open for further replies.

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I think they both would have done better to come back next year. Oh well. This will probably help with dissuading future kids who aren't ready. It's been a few years since Donte Greene.

Reactions: cto
At first I was a bit taken aback by JB's harsh tone on Tyler and Jerami but he was just giving them very direct advice...the kind you don't want to hear but should heed. Tyler still should have left but I feel bad for Jerami- hope he can make it (only 8 players from the second round last year saw time this year- think I heard that last night).

We never put much stock in the argument that a player may simply not want to be a college student any longer. It's always possible that one or both guys had enough of attending classes, writing papers and being worried about grades and decided they wanted to seek their fortune playing basketball whether that takes them to the Developmental League, Europe or wherever?

At the time, I also felt like part of the reason JB went on record with the advice he was giving was because he wanted to be able to distance himself from their decision(s) with future recruits.

I think they both would have done better to come back next year. Oh well. This will probably help with dissuading future kids who aren't ready. It's been a few years since Donte Greene.

JB is nothing if not consistent. His advice has always been to go if you are a solid lottery pick and to come back if you have room to grow and may slip to the second round. Those who have taken his advice have generally flourished (with the exception of Flynn where injuries derailed things). those who have not have generally struggled.

Not sure why everyone assumes that Grant would be the focal point of SU's offense, while at the same time saying he doesn't have an offensive game? If he was going to be a better offensive threat for SU next season, would he not be a better NBA player as well?

I saw JB said he could have been 1st team AA next year, well those guys tend to stick in the NBA for a while.

Full_Rebar said:
Not sure why everyone assumes that Grant would be the focal point of SU's offense, while at the same time saying he doesn't have an offensive game? If he was going to be a better offensive threat for SU next season, would he not be a better NBA player as well? I saw JB said he could have been 1st team AA next year, well those guys tend to stick in the NBA for a while.

Who's going to be the focal point of the offense this year? McCullough? Roberson? Cooney?

Grant has a lot to work on, but he clearly would have been a focal part of the offense.

Unless they win Rookie of the Year, as last year's guy that wasn't ready did.

I don't see either of those guys making Rookie of the Year. Let's be realistic.

Who's going to be the focal point of the offense this year? McCullough? Roberson? Cooney?

Grant has a lot to work on, but he clearly would have been a focal part of the offense.

I don't think anyone knows-that's my point. We've heard that we will run more, that Rak will get more touches...so should Grant and his family trust that after last season he was going to get all of CJ's touches. I mean this wasn't a case of Hak or Wallace coming back for their Sr. year when it was clear they were the go-to guys. How many possessions per game were run through Grant- even when he had an edge on his defender?

You can rightly argue that he wasn't good enough offensively last year to run more through him, so what's the promise that returning makes that happen? I mean everyone on here will agree that Rak, Roberson, Coleman and McCullough were all considered better recruits coming out of HS than Grant. We aren't talking about a consensus top 20 HS player here.

he was wrong on ennis. ennis was a first round pick and landed in a great spot. ennis is just not athletic enough to go much higher. however, grant made somewhat of a mistake because he could've come back and been a top 10 pick.

I don't think what happened with Ennis and Grant will dissuade anybody going forward. If a kid and his handlers decide they're ready, they'll go, despite what JB or anybody else advises.

And who's to say Ennis and Grant aren't ready to step in and contribute immediately in today's NBA? Based on where they landed, I believe they'll both make an impact fairly quickly.

he was right on this one, but wrong on advising CJ to stay another year.

I totally think CJ should've stayed for a 5th year!!

caddyshack.gif

I don't think anyone knows-that's my point. We've heard that we will run more, that Rak will get more touches...so should Grant and his family trust that after last season he was going to get all of CJ's touches. I mean this wasn't a case of Hak or Wallace coming back for their Sr. year when it was clear they were the go-to guys. How many possessions per game were run through Grant- even when he had an edge on his defender?

You can rightly argue that he wasn't good enough offensively last year to run more through him, so what's the promise that returning makes that happen? I mean everyone on here will agree that Rak, Roberson, Coleman and McCullough were all considered better recruits coming out of HS than Grant. We aren't talking about a consensus top 20 HS player here.

The other issue is not only would Grant's offense have to improve because it wasn't good enough last season, but would have to improve exponentially because there is no CJ that defenses have to account for first. Same problem CJ had at times this year, now you are potentially the defense's primary assignment.

he was wrong on ennis. ennis was a first round pick and landed in a great spot. ennis is just not athletic enough to go much higher. however, grant made somewhat of a mistake because he could've come back and been a top 10 pick.

Nobody knows where Grant would have gone next year but I can say with almost no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be in the top 10 next year. One jr, one sr. (Payton and McDermott) went in the lottery this year, 1 sr. year 2013, and 3 jr in 2012. So out of the last 32 lottery picks 6 players have been a jr. or older, that doesn't bode well for staying in school and pushing yourself into the lottery.

Grant is not an NBA 4. How far he would have risen would have depended on development of 3 skills.

How is Grant going to contribute next year? He has almost no offensive game to speak of. He had the physical tools to be a good defender but that hasn't exactly been a calling card of former Syracuse players since Jason Hart.

Nobody knows where Grant would have gone next year but I can say with almost no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be in the top 10 next year. One jr, one sr. (Payton and McDermott) went in the lottery this year, 1 sr. year 2013, and 3 jr in 2012. So out of the last 32 lottery picks 6 players have been a jr. or older, that doesn't bode well for staying in school and pushing yourself into the lottery.

You have to look at each case. I have to believe Grant would have moved himself up the draft board considerably based on my view of his game and potential. That being said, he makes a roster and develops into a solid rotation guy, it really doesn't matter where he was drafted.

Not sure why everyone assumes that Grant would be the focal point of SU's offense, while at the same time saying he doesn't have an offensive game? If he was going to be a better offensive threat for SU next season, would he not be a better NBA player as well?

I saw JB said he could have been 1st team AA next year, well those guys tend to stick in the NBA for a while.

True, Sean Kilpatrick is off to a good start for his career thanks to that 1st team All-American status. And CJ is looking pretty good as a 2nd team All-American.

I think they both would have done better to come back next year. Oh well. This will probably help with dissuading future kids who aren't ready. It's been a few years since Donte Green.
Sigh.
Not directly referring to the OP, but the "conventional wisdom" and requisite butt-hurt on this forum re; Donte Greene, is truly amazing to behold.
Again, Donte made the best decision FOR HIM, made millions of dollars, fulfilled his dream, and would likely still be on an NBA roster if not for a timely injury. The man was drafted 28th- and if any one of the arm-chair "experts" on this board bothered to ask if he'd do anything differently, his answer would undoubtedly be "HELL NO"!
Can we not become ESPN-like with our perspectives, constantly repeating something until its accepted to be true by consensus?
Donte made the right decision. Let it go, already! :bang:

Can we not become ESPN-like with our perspectives, constantly repeating something until its accepted to be true by consensus?
Donte made the right decision. Let it go, already! :bang:

No. These athletes need to stop caring about their own needs and tho about what the fans want.

Donte Greene gets destroyed here, but I will say he always seemed to be a stand up guy, which is a lot more than I can say for a certain star for the New York Knicks who has people lined up around the corner to apologize for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom