Lydon now projected as a Top 20 pick. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon now projected as a Top 20 pick.

He belongs in the NBA.

Rico probably belongs in the past.

Lyndon is gone. Next years team will be awful, with or without him. He won't stick around for that.

We don't need Lyndon around next year anyway. Guy is averaging like what, 0.0 points per game? Worthless.

If he is a guaranteed Top 20 pick, then he should go and create a better life for himself and his family.

He needs to cut the BS after the season is over and commit to his body and gaining as much muscle mass as possible. Not talking fluff weight either.
Yep- If you are a first round pick, IMO, you leave no matter what. Take your guaranteed contract and say thank you. Your development will be better in the NBA anyways. Why not make a guaranteed million while improving your game. With that said, I do not see Lydon really lasting in the NBA. Just about no one lasts, though. He lacks the physicality/speed BIG time.

You must not be up on the NBA. Stretch 4s that can drain the three are in vogue.
Those stretch 4s can move and have other components of their game. He has negative off the dribble game, no speed or quickness, no physicality. I do not see his 3 point shooting being THAT consistent at the NBA level (NBA 3 is DEEP).

Those stretch 4s can move and have other components of their game. He has negative off the dribble game, no speed or quickness, no physicality. I do not see his 3 point shooting being THAT consistent at the NBA level (NBA 3 is DEEP).

Lydon absolutely has as much speed and quickness as many of the other stretch 4's. And many stretch 4's do not have any other components to their games; no defense, no passing ability, no ability to create off the dribble, etc. Lydon can at least block some shots and score inside if a smaller defender switches onto him.

I'm not sure he ends up lasting in the NBA either, but he definitely has the potential to.

Our #75 recruit in the 2019 class has just declared for the draft.

(Just getting ahead of the game)

Here's the thing about the NBA draft .. most years after the top few picks , the rest of the draft is hot garbage. So it doesn't really surprise me that anyone with any pro potential could go anywhere from 10 to early 2nd

It's silly to make a long career in the NBA the measuring stick for staying or going. It's incredibly difficult to get a contract in the NBA. It's insanely difficult to stick in the NBA. You can get a degree at any time. Eight to eighty, lame, sick, or crazy.

It's never a bad choice to be drafted in the 1st round for the NBA vs. staying college. Actually coming back for this season with about the same draft spot probably made Lydon another 35% since the rookie wage scale for 17-18 went up quite a bit from 16-17.If Lydon is picked at 19th, his rookie salary for three years totals ~$5.75m. The average college graduate median salary is ~$50k. With out factoring in inflation or raises (which considering the last 20-30 years are just about tied to inflation), it'll take him 115 years after graduating to earn $5.75m.

Edited to add that I inadvertently included the third year option in the salary total.

Last edited:
Yep- If you are a first round pick, IMO, you leave no matter what. Take your guaranteed contract and say thank you. Your development will be better in the NBA anyways. Why not make a guaranteed million while improving your game. With that said, I do not see Lydon really lasting in the NBA. Just about no one lasts, though. He lacks the physicality/speed BIG time.

The NBA, IMO, is all about finding the right system if you are not a great player. For instance, Danny Green found the perfect system for his skillset in San Antonio. I have no doubt that Demetris Nichols could have had the same impact in the league as Danny Green if he had found the right team/system. So, what happens? Danny Green stays in the league as a starter and Demetris heads overseas.

I think that Lydon's maximum ceiling is that of a Ryan Anderson. But, yes I would agree, that realistically he won't last long. With that being said, if he does go late 1st round and joins a playoff caliber team who knows what happens. If he could work his way into the lineup he could become a career role player.

The NBA, IMO, is all about finding the right system if you are not a great player. For instance, Danny Green found the perfect system for his skillset in San Antonio. I have no doubt that Demetris Nichols could have had the same impact in the league as Danny Green if he had found the right team/system. So, what happens? Danny Green stays in the league as a starter and Demetris heads overseas.

I think that Lydon's maximum ceiling is that of a Ryan Anderson. But, yes I would agree, that realistically he won't last long. With that being said, if he does go late 1st round and joins a playoff caliber team who knows what happens. If he could work his way into the lineup he could become a career role player.

I think you are right in terms of landing in the right system. I like the Ryan Anderson comparison but Green could put the ball on the floor better and more effectively than Nichols ever could.

I think you are right in terms of landing in the right system. I like the Ryan Anderson comparison but Green could put the ball on the floor better and more effectively than Nichols ever could.

True, but IMO Danny Green is a below-average ballhandler in the NBA. He has made his money being a 3 and D guy. Demetris is a long, athletic defender and can certainly shoot the ball with anyone.

I do not think that Danny Green's ability to put the ball on the floor is substantial enough to make a difference between the two. I just think that Green found the right system for his strengths and Demetris never did. Put Danny Green on an underachieving team with no sense of direction like Sacramento and see if he remains in the league. We are speculating here, but IMO finding the right coach/teammates is crucial if you are more of a role player than star.

True, but IMO Danny Green is a below-average ballhandler in the NBA. He has made his money being a 3 and D guy. Demetris is a long, athletic defender and can certainly shoot the ball with anyone.

I do not think that Danny Green's ability to put the ball on the floor is substantial enough to make a difference between the two. I just think that Green found the right system for his strengths and Demetris never did. Put Danny Green on an underachieving team with no sense of direction like Sacramento and see if he remains in the league. We are speculating here, but IMO finding the right coach/teammates is crucial if you are more of a role player than star.

No question in regards to your last sentence. Crucial. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the skillset of Green vs Nichols.

Green is probably one of the 10-15 best defenders in the NBA. He's guarded Lebron in the finals. He guards Chris Paul. He's averaged a block and steal a game from the shooting guard position. Nichols was never going to be at that level on that end of the court.

Green is probably one of the 10-15 best defenders in the NBA. He's guarded Lebron in the finals. He guards Chris Paul. He's averaged a block and steal a game from the shooting guard position. Nichols was never going to be at that level on that end of the court.

You guys have caught me here on my bias towards Nichols and agreed. Danny Green has been a very solid pro. I think that there is a comparison to be made there, however.

The NBA, IMO, is all about finding the right system if you are not a great player. For instance, Danny Green found the perfect system for his skillset in San Antonio. I have no doubt that Demetris Nichols could have had the same impact in the league as Danny Green if he had found the right team/system. So, what happens? Danny Green stays in the league as a starter and Demetris heads overseas I think that Lydon's maximum ceiling is that of a Ryan Anderson. But, yes I would agree, that realistically he won't last long. With that being said, if he does go late 1st round and joins a playoff caliber team who knows what happens. If he could work his way into the lineup he could become a career role player.

I agree with you on finding the right team/system, but to be fair pretty much any player can fit into San Antonio's system. For example Dewayne Dedmon is having a nice year in SA averaging 5 ppg and 6 rpg after struggling to stick in both Orlando and Golden State. If I was entering the NBA draft and wasn't guaranteed to be a top-10 pick I would be praying to go to San Antonio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom